5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lease Negotiated Selling Price

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone want to share their negotiated selling price on a lease, MSRP vs. selling price?

When I bought my truck last year I was tempted to lease but anyone I reached out to just gave VERY high prices. Now that I am a couple weeks away from 1 year of ownership and have less than 10k miles on my truck, it really makes me think I should lease the next vehicle, when its time of course but i need to learn the realistic numbers.

Dave07

Reaction score
I leased my 59k Laramie for 533+tax per month. This was for a 36 month 12k a year. Vehicles are discounted much differently if you lease them vs purchase them. Basically you don’t get all the awesome discounts offered on purchases right now if you lease. It’s better to compare MSRPs and monthly payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I leased my 59k Laramie for 533+tax per month. This was for a 36 month 12k a year. Vehicles are discounted much differently if you lease them vs purchase them. Basically you don’t get all the awesome discounts offered on purchases right now if you lease. It’s better to compare MSRPs and monthly payments.

Thank you. Good point. What did you put down?

Dave07

Reaction score
Thank you. Good point. What did you put down?

I put down $1500. You definitely don’t want to put to much down, preferably $0.

I feel like a got a pretty solid deal, it could have been better but definitely didn’t get hosed!

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the end of December I got my Bighorn for $359 a month, 3 year/36,000 mile lease. I put 3 grand down plus traded my 12 year old Durango Limited (they gave me 2k for it(n)). MSRP was $49k, final sale price was $44,000. The buyout at lease end is $28,000.

I think I could have done better, especially with the down payment. The truck was on the lot and I loved the look and the way it drove so I took it home that day. I was looking at used Rams for $30-35,000 so I figured give a new lease a try and If i still like it at the end the buyout is a lot cheaper than the used ones I was looking at. Plus I know this one is well taken care of and properly maintained, with used trade ins, ya never know.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Last July when my order came in I was planning on purchase as I usually do. However, I negotiated the price when I went in to place the order which in my case was at dealer invoice. My Limited came in at 62490.00 that plus a lease discount left me with 52. and change. My 2015 which was three years old and had 31000 miles was my trade my net after loan balance left a 5000.$ down payment. Now the thing with a lease as I understand it is the "residual" the amount your vehicle is worth after lease termination period. This amount can vary from time to time and it can change your payment amount considerably. At that time the residual was quite high. My loan quote with a low rate through my personal bank was a 150.$ higher on a 72 month loan than the lease offer. As I like to trade in every three years and generally have no trouble keeping under 10000 miles a year I opted for the lease 3 years 10000 per year 472.$ per month. and glad I did.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased my last 7-8 vehicles (yes, I trade out a lot). On my previous charger, I decided to lease it. Ya, I was upside down some due to me purchasing and trading out so frequently. But, I decided to bite the bullet and just pay the negative equity I had to get me right side up and into a lease. I now lease my '19 big horn. I traded in my charger lease early, so that had some play in my final outcome but I'm at $500 a month, 3 year, 10k miles/year. I put $1,000 down which like others have said, the less down the better. I feel like I did well considering my personal circumstances. Definitely had I been at the end of my current lease, I would of gotten a better deal I'm sure. But, I'm happy and love the truck. I'll only lease from here out until maybe I'm ready to retire and actually just keep a vehicle. But for now, I enjoy trading out every year or two.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last July when my order came in I was planning on purchase as I usually do. However, I negotiated the price when I went in to place the order which in my case was at dealer invoice. My Limited came in at 62490.00 that plus a lease discount left me with 52. and change. My 2015 which was three years old and had 31000 miles was my trade my net after loan balance left a 5000.$ down payment. Now the thing with a lease as I understand it is the "residual" the amount your vehicle is worth after lease termination period. This amount can vary from time to time and it can change your payment amount considerably. At that time the residual was quite high. My loan quote with a low rate through my personal bank was a 150.$ higher on a 72 month loan than the lease offer. As I like to trade in every three years and generally have no trouble keeping under 10000 miles a year I opted for the lease 3 years 10000 per year 472.$ per month. and glad I did.
Same with me - I have no problem keeping under the 10k miles a year - my charger I had for 10 months and only had 5k miles on it lol

rlc2020

Reaction score
January I leased my Laramie. I'm paying $569 a month for 3/36k. I put nothing down, actually rolled $500 of negative equity from my last vehicle so I think I did okay. My buyout at the end is $27,500 give or take. I wasn't planning on doing it this way, but I got myself into a nicer truck than the used one's I was looking at and if I don't like it after 3 years I can walk away. I've been debating on if I should have bought or leased but in the end it really doesn't make much of a difference.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regarding selling price on my lease only, got MSRP on a 19 Laramie from about $54 down to $41.5.

So you saw a similar discount as compared to what others were getting when buying. I do understand that is all based off of incentives, time of year and month, etc. The big question on such a discount would be residual and then of course you paying the difference. Did you find the residual to be similarly discounted as compared to your MSRP discount?

sarge40

Reaction score
So you saw a similar discount as compared to what others were getting when buying. I do understand that is all based off of incentives, time of year and month, etc. The big question on such a discount would be residual and then of course you paying the difference. Did you find the residual to be similarly discounted as compared to your MSRP discount?
The residual is just north of $31k after 36 months and 10k mi/yr. I didn't need the higher mileage as this is now the third car in the household, but I also didn't want to run over 7.5k if it becomes my favorite for longer hauls. If it does, then I always have the option to finance the residual at more favorable credit union rates and keep it (my CU has great used car rates that compete with most new car rates).

scottieshootz

Reaction score
Bighorn 54k, $1500 trade in, $3500 down, residual 55% (27k) and monthly is $377 for 36m/30k miles. I don’t remember the incentives and discounts I had but I believe the truck came down to 42-44ish.

I plan to keep this truck but found even after paying taxes on the buyout, leasing first gave me a monthly of what I could buy a 27k used truck for.

TheRays

Reaction score
My MSRP was $50555 for a Big Horn, Level 2 Black Appearance Package. The discounted price I got on my lease in mid June was $44758 minus another $3750 in rebates/incentives. I had a $2700 trade-in and also added a down payment of $1000. My monthly came out to $338/month for 36 months/36k miles.

Last edited:

GT81

Reaction score
The residual is just north of $31k after 36 months and 10k mi/yr. I didn't need the higher mileage as this is now the third car in the household, but I also didn't want to run over 7.5k if it becomes my favorite for longer hauls. If it does, then I always have the option to finance the residual at more favorable credit union rates and keep it (my CU has great used car rates that compete with most new car rates).

What’s your payment?

U

User_3336

i would NEVER EVER put any money down on a lease just to lower the payment.....**UNLESS** you plan on buying that vehicle at lease end. otherwise a downpayment on a lease is just money thrown away. Just my way of thinking.

Every so often, RAM/FCA will offer a specific trim level on a lease that is a pretty good deal with NO MONEY DOWN (except first month payment). those are the times you need to snag a deal on a lease... Might not be the trim level you want though.

50Front

Reaction score
i would NEVER EVER put any money down on a lease just to lower the payment.....**UNLESS** you plan on buying that vehicle at lease end. otherwise a downpayment on a lease is just money thrown away. Just my way of thinking.

Every so often, RAM/FCA will offer a specific trim level on a lease that is a pretty good deal with NO MONEY DOWN (except first month payment). those are the times you need to snag a deal on a lease... Might not be the trim level you want though.
Your not really throwing it away but you are prepaying the "rent". You do save a tiny bit of interest but i agree, never put money down on a lease. Also, never lease for longer or more milage than the bumper to bumper warranty. You don't want to have to pay for repairs for someone else's car. One of the best things about leasing is not paying for repairs. Change the oil three or four times during the lease and you're done.

sjd_boston

Reaction score
You are throwing away money put down on a lease if some dope rear-ends you 4 days after you lease the car and it is totaled. I had this happen years ago on a lease that I put almost 4k down with cash and trade. Now I do my Ram leases with zero down. It just isn't worth the risk if anything happens to the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread