5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking coolant

kkennedy21

Reaction score
Just got my brand new 2020 Ram Night Edition. The truck currently has about 1,400 miles. The last couple days I noticed a faint coolant smell but brushed it off thinking there’s no way, it’s brand new. Well, today while sitting in my truck during my lunch break, I noticed it extremely overheating and the warning light on. I shut it off and got out to look to see if it was leaking coolant. No signs of leaking however. Reached out to my dealer and waiting to hear back. Im glad I found this forum and looks like several people have had this problem. I’ll check the coolant dipstick and cap.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just got my brand new 2020 Ram Night Edition. The truck currently has about 1,400 miles. The last couple days I noticed a faint coolant smell but brushed it off thinking there’s no way, it’s brand new. Well, today while sitting in my truck during my lunch break, I noticed it extremely overheating and the warning light on. I shut it off and got out to look to see if it was leaking coolant. No signs of leaking however. Reached out to my dealer and waiting to hear back. Im glad I found this forum and looks like several people have had this problem. I’ll check the coolant dipstick and cap.

Hi @kkennedy21 - Sorry for the trouble! If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this further with your Ram dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for the dealer process!

Mark
RamCares

kkennedy21

Reaction score
Took the truck back to the dealer. They’ve determined that the Radiator Fan was not operating, causing it to overheat. Just in case anyone has an issue like mine in the future

fredturner1313

Reaction score
I have a 2019 dodge ram1500 tradesmen. Took it in for manifold gasket and when I got down the road check engine light came on. popped the hood checked the coolant reservoir and nothing in it but oil. Its at the dealership but don't understand this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

klotz50

Reaction score
I pray that this is my issue. Is there a tighter cap that we can replace it with?
Curious if it needs to be leaky and not air tight? Its only a plastic resevoir so would it hold if under pressure?

djjr50

Reaction score
Curious if it needs to be leaky and not air tight? Its only a plastic resevoir so would it hold if under pressure?
Good thought.

It seems counter to my previous vehicles if this is designed to leak into the atmosphere. That would cause a shortage in the fluid over time. These systems were designed, at least in recent history, to be sealed.

Inspector_Mendes

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition with 31,000 miles last week and after each drive I smell coolant. Of course the smell shows up a few days after purchasing. Planning to take it in to the dealership and will update if they spot the issue.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition with 31,000 miles last week and after each drive I smell coolant. Of course the smell shows up a few days after purchasing. Planning to take it in to the dealership and will update if they spot the issue.
My truck is 2 years old with 40,000 miles. My wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee is at 70,000 miles. We bought them on the same day. They both have had the smell since day one. Coolant level never changes in either of them. The smell originates from the loose fitting filler cap next to the hood latch on both. Never had an issue with either.

Inspector_Mendes

Reaction score
My truck is 2 years old with 40,000 miles. My wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee is at 70,000 miles. We bought them on the same day. They both have had the smell since day one. Coolant level never changes in either of them. The smell originates from the loose fitting filler cap next to the hood latch on both. Never had an issue with either.
This makes me feel better, lol. I will pop the hood later and take a look at that filler cap. Thank you for your reply!

Xokia

Reaction score
Joined just for this discussion. My tuck had the coolant smell and I found the problem. It’s the coolant bottle. The two halves are glued together. It leaks out the seam when hot. I was lucky I parked on an incline and the coolant was over the seam so it was blowing bubbles.

Piddle

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn 59k miles dealer found pinhole leak in my radiator replaced under warranty

Users who are viewing this thread