5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LDS Extended Warranty

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me say, I am not an extended warranty kind of guy. But I’ve never bought a 70K vehicle before. Much less one that has all the complicated systems and computers that the current Rams have.

So, after a lot of discussion with Aaron at Mark Dodge, I bought into the LDS (Louisiana Dealer Services) extended warranty. LDS is a program owned by Louisiana dealers. Aaron's main point is that they want to manage/influence the entire process of buying and owning a CDJR product. MD has perfected the purchase process, which many of us will agree. They want to do the same with the ownership experience. The contention is that they (dealers) have more flexibility with the LDS program (that they own) and have no flexibility with MOPAR, Zieglars or others.

Price is competitive with the other programs, depending on years, miles and deductible. I’ve never had an extended warranty and hope I never use this one, but if I ever do at least with this one I’ll have Aaron in my corner rather than an 800 number. Time will tell!

fliptide

Reaction score
In for more info as well. Hoping my truck comes in March/April and was considering Mopar from Zeigler.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Supposedly covers all the stuff Mopar or Zieglar covers. Here is a link to a brochure:

https://theldsgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/LDS-Ultimate.pdf

As far as cost, I didn't do an exhaustive price comparison other than to confirm they are competitive to the others. Honestly I'm putting my faith in Aaron and MD.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, It's a crap shoot.....I just put my money on 6's and 8's and hope for the best! I know that may be lost on those who don't play craps!
I think it’s a crap shoot for any of us when we purchase an extended warranty. There are too many opportunities to have a claim denied by the “judgement” of the mechanic, the dealer or the manufacturer. Hopefully it works out well for you.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’s a crap shoot for any of us when we purchase an extended warranty. There are too many opportunities to have a claim denied by the “judgement” of the mechanic, the dealer or the manufacturer. Hopefully it works out well for you.
I agree! Normally I never purchase an extended warranty. I typically say what the hell I'll just trash it and buy another! But with a truck this expensive I decided it was worth the gamble.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After reading though various posts about the
the technician, dealer and manufacture have no say in whether a claim is approved or denied when it comes to an extended warranty. The extended warranty company is who approves or declines the claim. The tech just relays what is wrong with the car to the service adviser, who then submits those findings to the ext warr company. They ultimately make the decision. I wouldn't trust anything the dealer told me about an ext warranty company that they offered. They make commission when they sell you their provided policies. They usually have contracts with those companies and make money each time they sell a policy. And usually those ext warranty companies have horrible reviews online. The best ext warranties are usually the one's that the direct manufacture offers as they tend to cover more stuff then aftermarket ext warranties.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After reading though various posts about the

the technician, dealer and manufacture have no say in whether a claim is approved or denied when it comes to an extended warranty. The extended warranty company is who approves or declines the claim. The tech just relays what is wrong with the car to the service adviser, who then submits those findings to the ext warr company. They ultimately make the decision. I wouldn't trust anything the dealer told me about an ext warranty company that they offered. They make commission when they sell you their provided policies. They usually have contracts with those companies and make money each time they sell a policy. And usually those ext warranty companies have horrible reviews online. The best ext warranties are usually the one's that the direct manufacture offers as they tend to cover more stuff then aftermarket ext warranties.
Not quite...

The servicing tech tells the Service Manager what he sees concerning the failure/warranty claim based upon his professional judgement. The dealer reviews the data and informs either the manufacturer (in the event of a MOPAR extended warranty) or the insurer (in the event of a third party extended warranty). If the tech's diagnosis of what happened is incorrect or he is simply ignorant (or the dealer is as incompetent or ignorant as well) - as we've seen many times on this forum - the claim can be denied. Finally, if some pencil pusher at MOPAR or the Third Party Warranty Claim Center decides it should not be covered, this represents the third opportunity for the claim to be ultimately denied.

There are always three opportunities for the claim to be denied in the diagnosis pyramid - Tech, Dealer, Manufacturer/Third Party Warrantor.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not quite...

The servicing tech tells the Service Manager what he sees concentering the failure/warrant claim based upon his professional judgement. The dealer reviews the data and informs either the manufacturer (in the event of a MOPAR extended warranty) or the insurer (in the event of a third party extended warranty). If the tech's diagnosis of what happened is incorrect or he is simply ignorant (or the dealer is as incompetent or ignorant as well) - as we've seen many times on this forum - the claim can be denied. Finally, if some pencil pusher at MOPAR or the Third Party Warranty Claim Center decides it should be covered, this represents the third opportunity for the claim to be ultimately denied.

There are always three opportunities for the claim to eventually be denied in the diagnosis pyramid - Tech, Dealer, Manufacturer/Third Party Warrantor.
that is the risk you take when you buy an ext warranty. no different then your homeowners insurance.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that is the risk you take when you buy an ext warranty. no different then your homeowners insurance.
Exactly what I said in my post: I think it’s a crap shoot for any of us when we purchase an extended warranty.

And exactly what GeorgiaBoy stated - it’s a crap shoot.

With that said, GeorgiaBoy and I each have our own flavor of extended warranties and will take our chances they cover the truck when/if it hits the fan.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly what I said in my post: I think it’s a crap shoot for any of us when we purchase an extended warranty.
I’ve considered purchasing it for my truck but was real hesitant considering it seems a lot of stuff is not covered. At this point I’m just gonna use the mechanical coverage that Geico offered when I bought the truck.

TSL

Reaction score
I'm having this debate with myself now. Got the same sales pitch from Marsh @ MD as @GeorgiaBoy reported earlier : LDS warranty is owned by the dealers, they have skin in the game, they want happy customers, they are more inclined to "just pay the claim", whereas MOPAR is a big corporation and doesn't care as much if there's one or two unhappy campers out there.
Also, supposed to be a benefit that you can use independent shops, not just authorized dealers.
However...that said... he's offering me 6yr / 100k for $2335 when I can get the same coverage with Zeigler for $1405 with the PayInFull discount. Perhaps I need to negotiate more !
The marketed flexibility of the LDS warranty is attractive, but for 66% more I'm not so sure !

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm having this debate with myself now. Got the same sales pitch from Marsh @ MD as @GeorgiaBoy reported earlier : LDS warranty is owned by the dealers, they have skin in the game, they want happy customers, they are more inclined to "just pay the claim", whereas MOPAR is a big corporation and doesn't care as much if there's one or two unhappy campers out there.
Also, supposed to be a benefit that you can use independent shops, not just authorized dealers.
However...that said... he's offering me 6yr / 100k for $2335 when I can get the same coverage with Zeigler for $1405 with the PayInFull discount. Perhaps I need to negotiate more !
The marketed flexibility of the LDS warranty is attractive, but for 66% more I'm not so sure !
That seems high. A year ago, I was quoted 5/75 for $1300. Heck, you've already got 5/100 on the powertrain with the ED. I assume the LDS warranty is a little less with the ED since you have factory coverage for those parts?

U

User_3336

. The contention is that they (dealers) have more flexibility with the LDS program (that they own) and have no flexibility with MOPAR, Zieglars or others.

Price is competitive with the other programs, depending on years, miles and deductible. I’ve never had an extended warranty and hope I never use this one, but if I ever do at least with this one I’ll have Aaron in my corner rather than an 800 number. Time will tell!
First of all, its "Zeigler", and they don't sell their own extended warranties, they sell MOPAR esp's.

Your key word is "TIME WILL TELL". I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy a third party warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread