5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger Tires - Powertrain Warranty Concerns

Baile730

Reaction score
I'm considering installing larger tires on my Bighorn but am concerned about voiding the powertrain warranty if any issues should arise with the larger tires on the truck. Not looking to get too crazy, just would like to go 1 size up (from 275 65 R18 to 275 70 R18); however, the tires are 16 lbs heavier each.

I'm familiar with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) and I know it needs to be proven that a specific mod actually caused the failure. However, it seems like a dealer could easily blame powertrain issues such as engine or trans failures on the tires due to the added stress from extra weight and diameter.

Tons of people instantly put larger tires on their new warranty vehicles and I find it hard to believe they're all willing to "pay-to-play" by forgiving their warranties just to add a bit larger tires. I could understand some 37's creating an issue though.

Looking for advice from those of you that have been doing this kinda thing for a while. Any issues with the dealers honoring your warranties with larger tires installed?

Thanks in advance

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They would have to prove that the tires actually caused the issue. I mean an engineer and an investigation, not a tech at the dealer. It would cost more to prove it than to just take care of warranty.

On the lighter side, I’ve had larger tires on my last few trucks and never had any issues with warranty coverage. One such time was a wheel bearing where they could have tried to make an excuse.....but I will add, I’ve always had service done at the purchased dealership and I am sure that weighed in my favor if there was any question in the background.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Easy fix if you have a MAJOR issue like engine or tranny is to remove the larger tires and put stock sized tires back on before taking it to the dealer. Be happy you have that act in the USA, we have no protection in Canada.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
My local dealer warrantied a leaky tranny on my wife's Jeep Wrangler with 3" lift and larger tires. Although the tires and lift had nothing to do with how it was leaking, and the fact I'm a licensed HD mechanic, they could have argued it to someone with less knowledge. They did however put "lift?" On the print out copy they give you when the warranty work is done and you pick up your keys. They never said anything about it in person though. And as I stated above we don't have an act in Canada that I'm aware of to protect us.

Baile730

Reaction score
They would have to prove that the tires actually caused the issue. I mean an engineer and an investigation, not a tech at the dealer. It would cost more to prove it than to just take care of warranty.

On the lighter side, I’ve had larger tires on my last few trucks and never had any issues with warranty coverage. One such time was a wheel bearing where they could have tried to make an excuse.....but I will add, I’ve always had service done at the purchased dealership and I am sure that weighed in my favor if there was any question in the background.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and I see that you have installed an upsize tire as well; gives me some peace of mind.

Baile730

Reaction score
Easy fix if you have a MAJOR issue like engine or tranny is to remove the larger tires and put stock sized tires back on before taking it to the dealer. Be happy you have that act in the USA, we have no protection in Canada.
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about getting new rims too but actually really like the stock 18s. Might have to get some different ones just in case as you mentioned however.

Baile730

Reaction score
My local dealer warrantied a leaky tranny on my wife's Jeep Wrangler with 3" lift and larger tires. Although the tires and lift had nothing to do with how it was leaking, and the fact I'm a licensed HD mechanic, they could have argued it to someone with less knowledge. They did however put "lift?" On the print out copy they give you when the warranty work is done and you pick up your keys. They never said anything about it in person though. And as I stated above we don't have an act in Canada that I'm aware of to protect us.
Thanks again It's good to hear that you're getting any grief about the larger tires.

Tac747

Reaction score
The stock tire size on the rebel is 275/70/18 so they may have a hard time proving a tire they install stock on a particular model (truck A) causes a problem with a component on truck B that is also the same component found on truck A. Also, 16 pounds in 1 tire size? What tires are you putting on?

whododat

Reaction score
I will say a lot is dependent on your dealer. I had a strange noise on mine with stock size KO2's on it. The dealer tried saying the noise was due to the tires which were not recommended for the truck. After much back and forth, getting FCA involved and getting a manager to agree with me, the situation was resolved. The noise never came back but incredibly asinine of the dealer tech to suggest stock size KO2's could cause an issue.

Baile730

Reaction score
I will say a lot is dependent on your dealer. I had a strange noise on mine with stock size KO2's on it. The dealer tried saying the noise was due to the tires which were not recommended for the truck. After much back and forth, getting FCA involved and getting a manager to agree with me, the situation was resolved. The noise never came back but incredibly asinine of the dealer tech to suggest stock size KO2's could cause an issue.
Right... that's exactly my concern. Of course and engineer (not a service) tech will need to prove the cause of failure; however, that may take a court case. Seems to me that a crummy dealer could claim whatever they want.

Baile730

Reaction score
The stock tire size on the rebel is 275/70/18 so they may have a hard time proving a tire they install stock on a particular model (truck A) causes a problem with a component on truck B that is also the same component found on truck A. Also, 16 pounds in 1 tire size? What tires are you putting on?
[/QUOTE
Correct; however, the only issue I see is that the Rebel is not available in any other rear end ratio other that 3.92, mine has the 3.55. was thinking about moving to 275 70 R18 Goodyear Duratrac.

Tac747

Reaction score
Right... that's exactly my concern. Of course and engineer (not a service) tech will need to prove the cause of failure; however, that may take a court case. Seems to me that a crummy dealer could claim whatever they want.
That tire size you are looking at in the duratrac 275/70/18 is only 7 pounds heavier than the Bridgestone dueler 685 275/65/18 that comes from the factory. I only know this as I researched the weight differences before I had them and a set of rebel takeoffs put on my truck.
As far as having the dealer try to blame anything that goes wrong on you putting a set of tires with only a 28 pound difference for all 4 tires would leave me to choose between 2 options. 1 find another dealer to have the work done by, or 2, pay for the repairs myself and then file a breach of contract suit against the dealer and the warrantee provider. I am no lawyer but unless the service contract states you have to leave the truck as is, and specifically calls out you cannot increase the tire size by +1 I would assume you would receive a settlement offer in no time. Like I said though, I am not a lawyer but I have used a really good one the past.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread. I admit to being pretty dense with tires. The OEM tires for mine were 285/45R 22XL 114H. Discount Tire suggested (and assured me they fit my RAM) tires that are 305/45R22 118T XL to help with ride quality when getting the AT tires.

This is fine, right? I intend to keep this truck for a long time, so I want that warranty fully intact.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread. I admit to being pretty dense with tires. The OEM tires for mine were 285/45R 22XL 114H. Discount Tire suggested (and assured me they fit my RAM) tires that are 305/45R22 118T XL to help with ride quality when getting the AT tires.

This is fine, right? I intend to keep this truck for a long time, so I want that warranty fully intact.
No issues

Users who are viewing this thread