5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large Gas Tank Reprogramming

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I tried to do a search to respond to a previous thread, but couldn't find anything. I do recall there were some questions whether FCA fixed the issue with trucks having the larger gas tank but not reprogrammed so the low fuel indicator came on too early. Looks like a recent update to the trucks fixed this.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Well here is my experience in reference to a fix. My 2014 never was able to get more than 27 gal in a 32 gal tank. My 2019 takes 29 gal in the 33 gal tank. With estimated driving range on Fill up At 50 mile. Average 15 mpg. So pretty much empty is empty.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully that means I can finally get my 2016 reprogrammed to read correctly then, thanks for sharing.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have never let mine get that empty but I know when I fill it up at half I can get 60 litres in it.;)

D

Deleted member 85

I have never let mine get that empty but I know when I fill it up at half I can get 60 litres in it.;)
That's a good thing. The fuel is actually designed to act as a coolant for the fuel pump, so running on fumes constantly is not good for the fuel pump.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wondering what the programming will do. I know when I fill mine up now(city/hwy) driving I can get 1000km range and I know when I took a trip last year and was strictly doing highway I had a range of 1200km.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Basically what happened is they put 32 gallon tanks in...but didn't reprogram the computer to know it was a 32 gallon tank. The computer thought all tanks were the 26 gallon tanks.

I have the 32 gallon tank.

The light would come on or you'd be laying on Empty but still have 7-8 gallons left in in. I've been very low before on a long trip and put 24 gallons in. It would say I had like 50 miles left. At 15-18mpg this is about right. This reprogramming has been requested for several years. There is a huge thread on it over at ramforum.com. Once the reprogramming is done the gauge should read like its a 32 gallon tank. Light comes on, laying on Empty and now you're able to put 29-30 gallons in it.

I specifically got the 32 gallon tank as I take (2) very long trips every year. Its nice to know I have an extra 100 miles per tankful (at 15-18mpg). even if I did have to realize that it wasn't being read by the computer.

I'm due for an oil change sometime in late July. I'll be hopefully getting this update along with the cruise control update. I'm off to Glacier National Park then Banff and Jasper National Parks in Canada in early September then a trip from Minnesota to the Florida panhandle (Destin) in October. I'll be testing out the updated software on both trips!

YardSale

Reaction score
So I'm wondering a couple of things..........what's the issue with the cruise control? And does anyone think these issues will be or have been corrected in trucks coming off the line now?

unxpctd

Reaction score
There is some type of issue that can cause a short in the cruise control where it won't turn off. Its rare and a simple computer update is supposed to fix it.

I;m sure that all trucks (and cars for that matter) coming off the line...have the new updated programming. At least I'd hope so.

Just have them run your VIN and see what updates are needed. I know mine is due for it and will be getting the updates during my next oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread