5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie vs Limited

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was going Limited I would at least want the level 1 package or else the better headlights and few extra bits aren’t worth it. I stick with a Laramie in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ordered my Laramie and optioned it up to a Limited level..
I didn't want the Sunroof, RAM Boxes, MFT Tailgate or the Heads up Display that just came out.
The only thing else from the Limited would have been the Projector Headlights and rear vented seats.

If I could have ordered it with an 8; bed and 50 Gal Diesel tank would have been perfect for me.

Malodave
Just to be clear, and maybe it's the way you phrased it, but the sunroof, ramboxes, MFT and HUD are not standard Limited features, and could have been added to most if not all trim levels for the 2021 MY. Also I'm glad you're happy with your Laramie, but you cannot option one up to a Limited level when ordering new. And when maxing out a Laramie you'd be getting pretty close to the Limited price range if not at that. The only benefit I can see from that is you wouldn't be getting the leather covered dash that so many people have had issues with.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my Laramie and optioned it up to a Limited level..
I didn't want the Sunroof, RAM Boxes, MFT Tailgate or the Heads up Display that just came out.
The only thing else from the Limited would have been the Projector Headlights and rear vented seats.

If I could have ordered it with an 8; bed and 50 Gal Diesel tank would have been perfect for me.

Malodave
You'll likely take a hit on resale, as a loaded up Laramie won't book out for what a low Limited will.

I've had both, the Limited is worth it IMO...

RAL

Reaction score
I think discussions of resale based on trim and options are a bit hyped. Anyone with common sense who is looking for a used car and truck will largely make the decision on miles and condition (including service history) at a given price point. Yes, certain options may make a truck more or less desirable but is also true that luxury cars and trucks tend to depreciate faster (a sign of market demand for the product) due to, among other factors, the perceived risk that toys can fail as vehicles age and add considerably to the repair cost.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think discussions of resale based on trim and options are a bit hyped. Anyone with common sense who is looking for a used car and truck will largely make the decision on miles and condition (including service history) at a given price point. Yes, certain options may make a truck more or less desirable but is also true that luxury cars and trucks tend to depreciate faster (a sign of market demand for the product) due to, among other factors, the perceived risk that toys can fail as vehicles age and add considerably to the repair cost.
Trucks seem to be excluded from the depreciate faster thing.
My last truck I sold I made money on after owning it for 3 years despite having an 8 year loan with 0 down payment. It sold used for 2k less then what it's sale price was originally.
A Limited might be considered a luxury truck but it's by no means a toy and still services the same purpose as any other 1500 when it comes down to it. This isn't some BMW suv thing with no purpose. It's a pickup.

A Limited will have a better resale value than a Laramie even if no other reason except the trim.

But I don't recommend you buy a truck for it's resale value. You should buy it because that's what you want and you are happy spending what it costs to buy. And resale value is an added bonus and should have nothing to do with your purchase plan, and if it does you shield probably lease and not buy.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow what's Open Pilot? My GV80 has the stuff where it drives itself but this sounds even better. But yeah if you option up a Laramie then might as well get a LTD. A/S in Gen 5s is apparently way more durable and reliable than Gen 4.

OpenPilot is free, open-source software that runs on a Comma device. It can be used to autopilot over 250 different models of cars/trucks.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A Limited will have a better resale value than a Laramie even if no other reason except the trim.

This was the exact point of my post. You can load up a Laramie with options to cost more than a base model Limited. It'll always be worth less due to it being a Laramie, condition and age being equal.

I don't keep vehicles long. Resale should always be a factor. It's no good to order a unicorn truck unless you plan to keep it...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not true when it comes to full size pickups over the past 5-7 years...many have appreciated in value. And yes, trim and options play a big factor on the resale market. Those looking for a loaded truck will likely look at Limiteds vs a plethora of Laramie's that aren't loaded up.

The market for loaded pickups has been very strong and IMO will continue to be for quite some time.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which Leer topper is that? It doesn't look like the 122 or the 180.

It is a LEER 122 for a 6'-4" bed. I got it at the LEER Factory Outlet in Milton PA. Saved about $800
from the Local Dealer and he said they didn't make a 122 model for my Truck. Called the factory,
and wouldn't you know it, they DID!

I am also running a comma3 OpenPilot. Accumulated over 22K miles with it driving the Truck

Malodave

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for comparison I compared the following private party resell values on KBB. Both were 2021 with 20000 miles in very good condition. The only difference was in the options selected

1. Limited: Standard Limited with no options selected - $49,577
2. Laramie: Standard 4x4 Laramie with Laramie level B package - $43,878

CObiomedtech

Reaction score
It is a LEER 122 for a 6'-4" bed. I got it at the LEER Factory Outlet in Milton PA. Saved about $800
from the Local Dealer and he said they didn't make a 122 model for my Truck. Called the factory,
and wouldn't you know it, they DID!

I am also running a comma3 OpenPilot. Accumulated over 22K miles with it driving the Truck

Malodave
Thanks for the update. I had a 122 on my 3500 dually, but it didn't look like yours, it was more boxy. I have the 180 on my 6'4" bed and I can barely reach to put my kayak up there, so I am fine with slightly less storage, although I still smack my back occasionally thinking I still have the taller version.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just for comparison I compared the following private party resell values on KBB. Both were 2021 with 20000 miles in very good condition. The only difference was in the options selected

I'd be curious to compare the original MSRP of both trucks. Do you have the VIN's for them?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yep.

Not saying anything is wrong with ordering and buying a loaded up lesser trim truck (I did that with an F150 XLT), just know your resale won't accurately reflect MSRP, as a higher trim truck would.

My next truck was a mid level Laramie for that reason and now I'm in a Limited...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be curious to compare the original MSRP of both trucks. Do you have the VIN's for them?
I think he just did a KBB used price assessment. MSRPs would likely be very close (you can build a Laramie that stickers for more than a Limited)...

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my base before Options:

2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4 - DT6P91 $47,830

with all my options $71,155

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is my base before Options:

2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4 - DT6P91 $47,830

with all my options $71,155

Malodave
The 2021 fully loaded Limited I had (Tech group, BUG, Night Edition, Level 1, sunroof, MFT, Rambox, 33 gallon tank) stickered only $4k over that.

Attachments

• 2021 Limited window sticker.JPG
    2021 Limited window sticker.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 16

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 2021 fully loaded Limited I had (Tech group, BUG, Night Edition, Level 1, sunroof, MFT, Rambox, 33 gallon tank) stickered only $4k over that.
Unless you get every single option you can equip an Laramie and a Limited almost identical including stuff like air suspension.
The Limited just had more "standard features" where in a Laramie you just add them via packages or direct add. When I priced out a Laramie and Limited in late 2021 for the 2022 series they were within around $1k for the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread