5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie vs Limited

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unless you get every single option you can equip an Laramie and a Limited almost identical including stuff like air suspension.
The Limited just had more "standard features" where in a Laramie you just add them via packages or direct add. When I priced out a Laramie and Limited in late 2021 for the 2022 series they were within around $1k for the same thing.
But that's just it, they aren't the same thing. No matter how much you option out a Laramie it will never be a Limited. Not the same thing at all.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
But that's just it, they aren't the same thing. No matter how much you option out a Laramie it will never be a Limited. Not the same thing at all.
Besides the headlights and grill, yes they are the same thing.
HUD, air suspension, etc. You can get the same stuff on a Laramie (or you could) maybe that changed since 2022.

Reactions: RAL

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
HUD, air suspension, etc. You can get the same stuff on a Laramie (or you could) maybe that changed since 2022.
But it's still not a Limited and the resale value reflects that.

Just something to keep in mind if you buy an optioned out Laramie...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can claim that all you want but the only one you'll convince is yourself. The fact remains that they are not the same thing. Dash is different, seats are different, center console is different, door panels are different, can't get rear seat vent on Laramie either. And as you pointed out, headlights and grille are different. I've owned both and the driver experience is different as well. I'm glad you're happy with your Laramie as that's what matters. But saying a fully optioned Laramie is the same as a Limited is like urinating on my head and telling me it's raining. :ROFLMAO:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can claim that all you want but the only one you'll convince is yourself. The fact remains that they are not the same thing. Dash is different, seats are different, center console is different, door panels are different, can't get rear seat vent on Laramie either. And as you pointed out, headlights and grille are different. I've owned both and the driver experience is different as well. I'm glad you're happy with your Laramie as that's what matters. But saying a fully optioned Laramie is the same as a Limited is like urinating on my head and telling me it's raining. :ROFLMAO:
I don't have a Laramie I have a Limited. You could get rear ventilated seats in a Laramie, center console is the same also door panels. Depending on year it even has the same inside lighting.
You obviously never looked at the package options....
A fully optioned Laramie can be the same as a Limited.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't have a Laramie I have a Limited. You could get rear ventilated seats in a Laramie, center console is the same also door panels. Depending on year it even has the same inside lighting.
You obviously never looked at the package options....
Hmmm...it must be raining again. Perhaps I shall get my umbrella.

Adjutant

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I like the seats of my 21 Laramie more than the Limited. However, I LOVE the "wood" accents in the Limited, over the Laramie. I also wish I had the interior accent lights around the glove compartment, start/stop button, etc

I have a fully optioned Laramie, except no MFT. I couldnt find one with that option
Ramboxes were a must for me

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And seat leather. And some of the other interior surfaces, too. And wheel selections.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same price and (most of) the same features, sure. In fact, you can option up a Laramie to cost more than a loaded Limited (or at least you could in past years). You’ll take a bath on resale, if you care about that. If you don’t, then have at it!

Reactions: DEG

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t know guys really bought trucks worrying so much about resale. I thought they bought and optioned them out how they wanted them. If you lose a bit on resale so be it either negotiate better or wait to buy at another time. With interest rates the way they are you”ll be better off getting what you want and keep it for the longer haul vehicles are just getting more and more expensive and you start to lose more and more features in return forced to buy more expensive fluffed up packages.

Laramie vs Limited is a beating a dead horse. Unless you have same two optioned trucks with the same age/miles getting traded within the same region and the same time you’ll never getting a really honest comparison other then personal opinion.

Cliff notes… buy what YOU want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RAL

Reaction score
I did some informal research on Carmax. Adjusted for roughly the same equipment (I used pano roof as the filter to try to make sure we were comparing roughly equivalent well loaded trucks) and the limited trim does generally cost anywhere from 3-4k more than a comparable Laramie. There are some outliers on both sides, so to speak, for trucks with exceptionally low or high mileage etc. Given the typical difference in pricing when new, it is unclear whether the lower trim depreciates more quickly as someone seems to assert with fervor, or whether the typical price difference between a Laramie and limited is maintained (roughly speaking, adjusting for age, mileage, and regional variations in demand). That would take digging into original sticker price and looking closely at other desirable options like the 33 gallon tank, tow package, etc.

I do question why Ram allows you to option up the lower trims to the point where they can actually exceed the equipment level of a higher trim truck. That seems somewhat illogical, but may make comparison shopping across dealers more difficult, an obvious advantage to Ram dealers. (For example, I found a very nice Bighorn trim with a pano roof and all kinds of toys - nice truck, but an unusual configuration for a Big Horn.). That being said, it seems like at least some people here place a really great emphasis on trim level, and that is fine because that represents a portion of the market, and Ram wants to appeal to those customers as well. So for those folks, if one truck has the equipment they want but it isn’t a limited, it is a no sale. Different strokes for different folks. For me, when buying a new truck, I look at the equipment I want and go from there; the trim level only matters insofar as whether it has what I want or don‘t want. And when buying a used truck, it’s not as if I do not consider equipment, but the first consideration is condition and service records because when you buy a three or four year old vehicle, there may very well be a reason it is available.

One final note on resale: the value of all these trucks from the big three continue to be high on the used market (although my spam inbox is routinely filled with incentives on the new trucks for all of the big three - likely due to a slower economy and the higher cost of money). The family construction business has been buying pickups for several decades now and anecdotally at least I think we are still dealing with lingering pandemic era pricing in the used market, although it seems to be coming back into line as shortages ease. So I would not draw too much, in terms of analyzing depreciation, from the last four years or so. Vehicles of all kinds have historically been pretty bad in terms of depreciation, and in my opinion the smart people (like those surveyed in the Millionaire Next Door many years ago) buy vehicles and keep them for a relatively long period of time so as to avoid repeating the financially punishing effects of depreciation. This is why reliability is really critical, because poor reliability will almost force you to buy a new vehicle, as who has time for all the nonsense of going back and forth to the dealer. This is why I would hypothesize the Toyota trucks and SUVs have such high resale, even though in many instances they are less desirable from an modernity, trim, and equipment perspective.

Merry Christmas everyone.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t know guys really bought trucks worrying so much about resale. I thought they bought and optioned them out how they wanted them. If you lose a bit on resale so be it either negotiate better or wait to buy at another time. With interest rates the way they are you”ll be better off getting what you want and keep it for the longer haul vehicles are just getting more and more expensive and you start to lose more and more features in return forced to buy more expensive fluffed up packages.

Laramie vs Limited is a beating a dead horse. Unless you have same two optioned trucks with the same age/miles getting traded within the same region and the same time you’ll never getting a really honest comparison other then personal opinion.

Cliff notes… buy what YOU want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Resale value is a critical component in determining the overall cost of ownership. I've learned a higher model level and 4 wheel drive will help ensure your truck retains a much higher percent of the purchase price and reduces the cost of ownership or at least lets you drive a truck with more options for the same price as a cheaper truck with fewer options.

Also, you can get a real world comparison of trade in values between vehicles of the same age, miles and region using KBB. Their values are not based on personal opinion, they are based on real trade in values.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Resale value is a critical component in determining the overall cost of ownership. I've learned a higher model level and 4 wheel drive will help ensure your truck retains a much higher percent of the purchase price and reduces the cost of ownership or at least lets you drive a truck with more options for the same price as a cheaper truck with fewer options.

Also, you can get a real world comparison of trade in values between vehicles of the same age, miles and region using KBB. Their values are not based on personal opinion, they are based on real trade in values.
KBB values are akin to taking a shotgun to a mosquito.
My Ram will be worth $500 in scrap metal when I sell it in 20-25 years from now (or however long I can get an eTorque battery replacement.
I don't think the options will matter.

Reactions: RAL

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you get every single option you can equip an Laramie and a Limited almost identical including stuff like air suspension.
The Limited just had more "standard features" where in a Laramie you just add them via packages or direct add. When I priced out a Laramie and Limited in late 2021 for the 2022 series they were within around $1k for the same thing.
I built out a 2023 Rebel (had a 2020 - Level 1) and added all the things I didn't have in the 2020 that I wish I did have. Back then you had to get what was available on the lot and even finding a truck was a challenge. Anyway optioned out I was just about at a Limited. I loved my Rebel but for that price I was taking the luxury of the Limited - I never offroaded anyway - there really is no comparing the interiors Limited is just all over more refined to start. Elite Pkg just added to it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hopefully you've made your mind up OP, its a very personal purchase, what works for them may not work for you and vice versa.

I wanted to save dollars and get a Laramie level 2 or level B vs the Limited w/o level 1. Some dealers had about a $5K difference between the 2, then I found a level 1 Ltd that was the same price as a Laramie B!

While I didnt really need the 4 corner air suspension (some posters are concerned about its longevity) I dont put many miles on and live in the SE. I also dont want the 22” rims but most Ltds have them.

Many owners sell within 3-4 years and resale is important to consider. The better optioned truck is often easier to sell/trade. If you have specialized truck needs such as off road or towing then get it set up for that. A Ltd is a poor choice for both, wrong rims/tires and very low payload.

Anyway shop all over and you may luck out and get a nicer truck for the same price or a more appropriate truck at a cheaper price.

Users who are viewing this thread