5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Sport Hood emblems

LoRAM

Reaction score
A little late to this, but on the sport hood on the center part the badges are held on with 2 sided tape. I took mine off and plasti dipped them and was able to put them right back on.
Save yourselves the $120 bucks and it's been holding up great. I removed the Laramie and 4x4 badges off the tailgate, removed both Ram letters off the doors. Plasti dipped the front Ram letters and bought and replaced the Ram Head on the tailgate with the OEM black one.
It came out nice and I am happy with it.
Bill

Busted out the fishing line this afternoon and discovered these are absolutely removeable as you had indicated!

Hope it’s not too late to cancel my shipment... they’ve already failed twice at managing to proceed beyond simply printing the shipping label!

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
Catback with black tips, or did ya do something else?
I actually used my Carven tips off of my 16 Rebel I traded in.
I had to cut both sets, the Carven tips and the tips off my 19 right behind the cans. Then welded on the Carven cans to my 19 connection pipes. I figured I already had them and since the changed the pipe size in 19 that was the best way to still be able to use them.
Bill 20181228_113507.jpg 20181228_113518.jpg

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually used my Carven tips off of my 16 Rebel I traded in.
I had to cut both sets, the Carven tips and the tips off my 19 right behind the cans. Then welded on the Carven cans to my 19 connection pipes. I figured I already had them and since the changed the pipe size in 19 that was the best way to still be able to use them.
Bill View attachment 13024 View attachment 13025

Newbie question... Can you just remove the stock tips without cutting? I'd like to paint mine.

M. Scarn

Reaction score
A little late to this, but on the sport hood on the center part the badges are held on with 2 sided tape. I took mine off and plasti dipped them and was able to put them right back on.
Save yourselves the $120 bucks and it's been holding up great. I removed the Laramie and 4x4 badges off the tailgate, removed both Ram letters off the doors. Plasti dipped the front Ram letters and bought and replaced the Ram Head on the tailgate with the OEM black one.
Bill
what was your experience with the laramie badge? Mine is really on there tight. Fishing line doubled and tripled up still snapping with using a heat gun. I will try a trim tool in the spring when it warms up.

LoRAM

Reaction score
what was your experience with the laramie badge? Mine is really on there tight. Fishing line doubled and tripled up still snapping with using a heat gun. I will try a trim tool in the spring when it warms up.
Laramie badge was by far easier than the RAM door badges for me. I simply utilized fishing line and a hair dryer and a quick pass with bug and tar remover.

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
As far as the badges that i removed i don't plan on putting them back on. I used a plastic 3" wide body filler spreader or what ever you call it, as well as using a heat gun. Thats what i used to take off all the emblems including the Hood emblems on the sport hood.
As far as the tips, yes they just bolt on, they are on a ball socket joint so real easy to line them up again. I only cut mine becaused they changed the ball socket size in 2019 compaired to the previous years.

M. Scarn

Reaction score
Laramie badge was by far easier than the RAM door badges for me. I simply utilized fishing line and a hair dryer and a quick pass with bug and tar remover.

I will try again in the spring. Thanks

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
Newbie question... Can you just remove the stock tips without cutting? I'd like to paint mine.
The tips are about a foot long and then held on by a clamp. Unscrew clamp and they should come right off, paint and then put back on. I am not an expert, but be careful about painting...normal paint will come right off due to the heat. Needs go be baked on or something like that. Would check with someone who knows. I did the Carven ones. Good luck.

Rambro23

Reaction score
Bill

How'd you pry off the "1500" decals? Fishing line or a trim removal tool? Also, is the plastidip matte black as well or does it have a sheen?

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
How'd you pry off the "1500" decals? Fishing line or a trim removal tool? Also, is the plastidip matte black as well or does it have a sheen?

The plastidip is matte black, so its a great match.
I used a heat gun to warm up the double sided tape and used a 3" plastic body filler spreader. There are 2 alignment tabs on the decal so you will need to work around those. Just start on an edge and pry on it as you work around.
Bill

Jrex

Reaction score

Hair dryer and dental floss is what use on all the emblems. Heat gun work great, but if your not careful you can fry the clear coat.

Hair dryer on high for about 30 seconds, moving over emblem, just enough to loosen adhesive enough to get dental floss underneath. If its not moving, give it another 30 seconds of heat. It will peal right off.

Then hit it with isopropanol alcohol 90% from and walgreens, CVS, food store, it will remove all the old adhesive and prep the surface to attach new emblems as it removes all wax and paint sealers.

Easily done with house hold items.

With the plastic dip, other than prep cleaning, any other special prep? What the ETA lifespan on the plastic dip?

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
Hair dryer and dental floss is what use on all the emblems. Heat gun work great, but if your not careful you can fry the clear coat.

Hair dryer on high for about 30 seconds, moving over emblem, just enough to loosen adhesive enough to get dental floss underneath. If its not moving, give it another 30 seconds of heat. It will peal right off.

Then hit it with isopropanol alcohol 90% from and walgreens, CVS, food store, it will remove all the old adhesive and prep the surface to attach new emblems as it removes all wax and paint sealers.

Easily done with house hold items.

With the plastic dip, other than prep cleaning, any other special prep? What the ETA lifespan on the plastic dip?
I live in New England, so lots of snow and salt. I run my truck through the car wash an average of 3 times a week to get rid of the salt and dirt.
Plastidip holds up great, it really does. The secret is many light coats. I do about 8 to 10 coats, and it will last for years.
I had a 16 black Ram Rebel as my last truck. plastidipped my skid plate and anything else that wasn't black and it lasted the whole 2 years and 9 months that I had it. I traded it in for my 19 and have dipped the Ram grille letters and my hood letters. And am confident it will hold up just as well as it did on my last truck.
key is, have it clean and dry and do many coats with temp being 70 degrees or warmer. It will last no problem....
Bill

CNYRAM88

Reaction score
IMG_0459.jpg My truck came with this badge. Does anyone have the chrome they want to sell or know where I can buy a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knightro84

Reaction score
I just replaced my chrome one with a custom painted to match one. I had to replace the entire bezel, but let me take a look at how just the "1500 Hemi 5.7L" part is attached and I'll see if I can get it off.

LoRAM

Reaction score
I just replaced my chrome one with a custom painted to match one. I had to replace the entire bezel, but let me take a look at how just the "1500 Hemi 5.7L" part is attached and I'll see if I can get it off.

I think I described in this thread how to remove, if I remember correctly. Just held on by some tabs and adhesive, not difficult to remove.

knightro84

Reaction score
I think I described in this thread how to remove, if I remember correctly. Just held on by some tabs and adhesive, not difficult to remove.

If that is the case, @CNYRAM88 you can have my chrome ones. Unfortunately I'm out of town until next weekend for work so it will be a little bit of a wait.

Users who are viewing this thread