5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie seat discoloration ?

Twil6

Reaction score
Hi All
So I noticed yesterday that the back of passanger side seat had some spot. Truck is still fairly new. Have only had a passenger a few times and keep the back seat up. I tried wiping it with a cloth just to see, but nothing. Just looks faded and dry. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 80

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks like paint or face makeup, I would try some cleaners(such as Tuff stuff) and then clean. You can even try some dish soap and a sponge.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You said you keep the back seat up, which makes me think you tend to haul things in the back seat area. What kinds of things have you had back there, if anything? That spot looks like something rubbed against the back of the seat when it was being loaded or unloaded.

Twil6

Reaction score
I don't really haul things that much back there but I guess you never know I could have hit it with something and never noticed since I don't open the back door much. Since no one has ever sat in the back seat I just keep them up. Thanks I will just try and wash it off with some soap and water and go from there. It just looked faded at first glance

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t use soap and water on the leather. Get some premium leather conditioner, and work it into the spot. It may take several applications to bring back the luster. Be patient and take your time.

if that does not work to your satisfaction, take the truck to an automotive trim shop and get their opinion. Post your results please.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you tried to use leather cleaner\conditioner?
Looks like it would come right out if you properly cleaned\treated it.

You can't just let leather sit, my back seats look like that from the winter, as soon as I put on the leather cleaner\conditioner they will look better then brand new again.

MNMEAD

Reaction score
My center console and door card look like that when I get in the truck when I have sunscreen on. Don't notice it on there until it dries out and turns white. Should clean right off.

Majortom

Reaction score
You might consider using saddle soap. I’ve had good results on other cars/trucks, but haven’t needed to use on the Ram (Yet?).

Amazing93

Reaction score
Looks like sunscreen to me. Also I think that part of the seat is vinyl not leather. So I would use a good mild APC like simple green and a soft brush.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's leather not vinyl.
Could just be the angle and lighting in the picture.
His Laramie is vinyl in that area. There is a “leather” type material bonded to only the seating surfaces, but the material of the seat backs on the Laramie is no different that the vinyl seat material on the base Tradesman.

Amazing93

Reaction score
It's leather not vinyl.
Could just be the angle and lighting in the picture.
There is very little leather in a leather seat. If you look at you window sticker it will say something along the lines of leather trimmed seats which basically means leather in certain places you have body to seat contact. Much of the seat is a leatherette aka vinyl material. The back of the seat is all vinyl.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is very little leather in a leather seat. If you look at you window sticker it will say something along the lines of leather trimmed seats which basically means leather in certain places you have body to seat contact. Much of the seat is a leatherette aka vinyl material. The back of the seat is all vinyl.
Confusing.

On my truck this is what I had on my seat, it's slightly different looking then his but on the damaged area looks the same exact.
I assumed since he had the southwest edition he had the same as me but maybe not.
2023-06-30 12.52.19.jpg 2023-06-30 12.52.24.jpg

These are how mine cleaned up looking similar to his (I also had marks like his when my kid sat on the seat with a wet bathing suite and found out after).

Before
2023-06-29 13.41.00.jpg

After
2023-06-29 14.19.03.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Parts of the seats do contain leather sections, such as the seating area. That tag is just telling you about the parts that are leather. But not all of the sections of the seat covers are real leather. In a Limited, for sure the perforated sections are leather. But it's anyone's guess how much of the rest of the seats are leather. I like to think the side bolsters are leather but I suspect they're some sort of synthetic leather-like material. It's not something they disclose in sales brochures or websites. Most car makers use the same practice, even luxury car makers.

Users who are viewing this thread