5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie or Limited

Jr2121

Reaction score
I have been going back and forth for weeks trying to decide whether to get a loaded up Laramie, or a Limited. I have discussed the differences with my local sales guy ( who I won’t be buying from, will be buying out of state due to much better pricing). I don’t feel like I can really trust then opinions of the local sales guy, so figured I’d pick your brains.
This will be my first truck. I am a “new age truck buyer”. I work in real estate. The truck will be used to haul around my 8 year old, the neighborhood friends, my 1 year old, and wife. As far as actual hauling, I will be transporting signs to put in yards, semi-regular trips to the big box store for dog building materials, and trips to the dump or recycling areas. Honestly, as far as hauling a 1990s s10 or ranger would probably be excessive power for what I “need”.
I’ve been driving a compact waiting until I can get the truck I want, and now I am able to get that, but still want to be smart. With my job I put on 29-25k miles a year so gas mileage is a consideration. But my vehicle is also a part of my overall brand, therefore I am looking for the more “luxury” look, as opposed to the sport or off-road look.
I drove a Laramie, and LOVED IT. But, I keep building them online, and when building a Laramie, I notice the add ons are adding up. At what point is the “break-even” point between Laramie and limited?
Here are my most important features:
UConnect got 12”
Panaramic roof
HK sound
Bed liner (can’t decide on rambox)
Siderails
(Essentially tech package #2 on Laramie or #1 on limited)

Items I would really like:
Best rims possible without sacrificing too much mpg and ride quality
Blind spot
Active cruise
Essentially the safety and convenience stuff

I know some of this is contradictory, and that’s why it’s taking me so long.

My basic question after al that nonsense... why go with one trim lver the other, and after your experiences, are there some features you would highly recommend, and others you would say someone could go without?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From a price point the limited can actually end up cheaper.

From my personal opinion, the Laramie is a better looking truck.

But opinions are like, well you get what I mean.

The reason the Laramie has 2 option levels, is cause the limited comes standard with Laramie level 1 and Laramie level 2 and limited level one are about the same.

Sounds like you don't have a payload issue, so that won't matter much.

Good luck with your decision.

You can't go wrong with any of the trims...if they have what you want.

Mike67

Reaction score
My opinion is just based on what I have researched as I am buying my first truck as well. So I don't actually have one yet.
I myself am going for the limited.
The Headlights are higher end on the Limited from a look perspective, but that is just opinion.
Gas Mileage wise the 3.6 V6 is supposed to give you better gas mileage. Same with sticking with the 3.21 since you aren't towing much. You can check Fuelly to see what people are getting, but that only takes into account the engine type not the axel ratio or other adds.
All the following with 22"s all of the packages that add safety or luxury, 33 gal tank, anti slip, V6, sunroof, Rambox, air suspension. (As a Realtor you may really like the Ramboxes)
Laramie comes out around $64,160 with sports appearance. Black interior only avail with the sports package (but it looks cool). Can go all body color.
Longhorn comes out around $68,145 Several Brown interiors avail, I like the new saddle one (again opinion). Just body color bumper.
Limited comes out $66,450 black or ivory interior available. Just body color bumper.
Looks like the main difference is the look you are going for and the color of the interior

If you are going to drive it that much per year, you may want to get the lifetime/$100 warranty from ziegler, if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Good luck in choosing
As a Realtor, lots of room in the back for you clients.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove both and ended up with the Laramie with air ride suspension and front bench seats. Loved the air ride on the Limited but wanted the roomier feel of the bench seats. Lots of ample storage so didn't really need the center console. The front bench are actually two bucket seats with a jump seat in between lol.

So much light with The huge windows that i didn't want the panoramic roof or worry about leaks. The 18" wheels n the Laramie make The ride a little smoother as well.

The Alpine sound system is really nice so I didn't need the HK. I thought the 12" screen was a bit cumbersome because knobs are easier to control while driving. The 8.4 screen is plenty big for me, especially at night.

LossPrev

Reaction score
My Laramie is well into Limited territory at just under $64k but I'm ok with that because I wanted no chrome or wood steering wheel so the Limited is out.

Either way you will be happy but I would seriously think about "must haves" on the 12" screen and HK sound system. I wanted the 12" screen for the bling factor but am glad I didnt get it because I prefer having the instant physical controls. I have the HK and it is not much different from my '15's Alpine or the other Laramies I test drove with Alpine.

Love the Panoramic sunroof and the ride is still fantastic with 22's and standard suspension. The Air ride is cool but not necessary. I do wish I had the auto cruise control though.

RenoRam

Reaction score
I was actually trying for a Limited then the dealer didn't get the agreed upon truck in a dealer trade. Turned it down. Went back and really thought about what I really wanted, look, options and ended up with a Laramie Sport that doesn't have the pano, 12 inch screen and HK. Didn't want the Pano and although the 12 inch screen is cool, like others have said I like the physical controls better. The 9 speaker Alpine is a great system and I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. Only you know what you need to have. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like Limited would fit your needs and wants. I needed bench seats, which eliminated the Limited and Laramie Longhorn models. A Limited with the Hemi should be faily easy to find on the showroom floor. If you want the V6 you may need to join the “order and wait club.”

cjmst23

Reaction score
Find the 1 or 2 things that differentiate each option and eliminate all of the clutter from you decision.

It really comes down to styling, everything else on your list is available on both.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want front bench seat, go with the Laramie.

Otherwise, it really is a style choice. Look at the interiors and exteriors of each and see which you prefer.

One last small consideration is re-sale. The "top" trim level typically holds up a bit better. However, it would likely be a very small difference in this case is my best guess.

I went with the Limited because I liked the styling more. I optioned out a Limited with 22 wheels, etc (in my sig). I absolutely love it. I'm using it pretty much like you, a family hauler and Lowes projects. Sure, I'll take it on a gravel road or two hunting but planning on doing any of the extremely fun looking things in the mud that others might do. :)

For you, I keep going back to your statement that you drove a Laramie and LOVED it. That's what its all about man. If you loved that truck, go with it and the enjoy the heck out of it. You can't mess this decision up though. Both trim levels with the options you want will end up being spectacular.

knightro84

Reaction score
The price difference between the Laramie and Limited I wanted was only $440 ($64,760 vs $65,200), but, I did not want air suspension and there is no option to delete it on the Limited.

Another factor was that I liked the "no chrome" look of the Laramie with the sport appearance package (and I really love the sport hood), and I like the 20" wheels that come with the sport package on the Laramie more than I like the 20's that come on the Limited. The ivory/frost interior on the Limited is so nice though, and that is where I struggled a little bit. But, with one year old twins my truck will occasionally serve as a kid-hauler when we need to bring along more gear than will fit in my wife's 2008 CR-V, so the "less fancy" black interior in the Laramie should suit my needs very well.

Also when I ordered the incentives were better on the Laramie vs the Limited ($3,000 vs $1,500).

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with many of these comments, it comes down to styling. The sport appearance on a loaded Laramie is great option and yeah the 12" screen is nice but the physical buttons make it quick to access features.

One item though is the resale market, and the Limited will yield more for trade in then Laramie, regardless of what packages you add the auction data doesn't really play into that. I have a Limited and if was doing it all over again, I would be in a Laramie loaded up wuth the 8.4" and Alpine system, 33gal tank, ETorque, 3.92, 4x4, ORG and all the safety convenience.

Jr2121

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the replies!
So I think I’m one if the only people that actually prefer the chrome look to the sport look (which is good for me as it’s cheaper).
I did love the Laramie, but I wish I would’ve just gotten it or stopped looking at that point. A week later I got in a limited, and wow that leather was nice! As I was at the dealer, another limited drove by with 22’s, and holy cow that thing looked SO nice and so much more luxury! Loved it!
But then reading more, i hear the limited gets considerably worse gas mileage, 22’s compromise the buttery smooth ride, oh and I just spent a lot more going from that Laramie up to this limited with 22’s lol.
Also, I know the v6 would be more than enough for me, but then everyone I talk to says anyone that gets a v6 in a full size truck is a moron. The sales guy basically said he wouldn’t sell me one (of course he was joking, but was saying it was a terrible decision). Said I’ll get killed on resale, and the power difference just in daily driving is significant and that I wouldn’t like the ride as much. Of course there are no v6’s around to drive.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my opinion you can't go wrong with any choice UNLESS you get the V6. NA V6 in a full size truck to me would not be smart.

natehawes

Reaction score
One option you said is a like to have is the adaptive cruise control. I would make this a must have. With the amount of driving you do I think this feature will be one of your favorites.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the replies!
So I think I’m one if the only people that actually prefer the chrome look to the sport look (which is good for me as it’s cheaper).
I did love the Laramie, but I wish I would’ve just gotten it or stopped looking at that point. A week later I got in a limited, and wow that leather was nice! As I was at the dealer, another limited drove by with 22’s, and holy cow that thing looked SO nice and so much more luxury! Loved it!
But then reading more, i hear the limited gets considerably worse gas mileage, 22’s compromise the buttery smooth ride, oh and I just spent a lot more going from that Laramie up to this limited with 22’s lol.
Also, I know the v6 would be more than enough for me, but then everyone I talk to says anyone that gets a v6 in a full size truck is a moron. The sales guy basically said he wouldn’t sell me one (of course he was joking, but was saying it was a terrible decision). Said I’ll get killed on resale, and the power difference just in daily driving is significant and that I wouldn’t like the ride as much. Of course there are no v6’s around to drive.

I also preferred the chrome look, and like you said it is standard on the limited.

Ride quality was one of my biggest reasons for coming to Ram to begin with. Like you, I was concerned about adding the 22s and ruining that. However, I test drove both the 20's and 22's (with air suspension both times) and did not notice an appreciable difference. I went with the 22s and feel the ride quality is excellent with the air suspension. Looks are subjective, but I love my 22s.

I don't think there is anything about the Limited loaded out versus Laramie loaded out that would result in a significant change in mpg, assuming you put the same options on each. If you chose different options, then sure. But that's an options issue, not a Lim vs Lar issue.

The V6 wasn't a consideration for me. I wanted the V8 Hemi. There are numerous threads on the V6 debate if you want to peruse that. But I didn't hesitate on that one.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I had the exact same dilemma... As did many of us.

Have the dealer park em both together and leave you alone. Sit in each one (ignore features... As proven they are all available on both unless bench and air suspension are must have or must not).

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I'm in the same spot. For me it comes down to styling as many have mentioned. I want a nice truck but I still want it to some resemblance of a "truck". The limited is nice but I don't like the added chrome on the outside or the steering wheel. Seems like the limited only had less color options and no two tone option. What I do like about the Longhorn and the Limited are the lights and the wheels (20 inch), but probably not enough to make choose one of them. I'd get the longhorn but I don't really like the western slant in the leather, seat storage in the back, and the look of the gauges. Therefore, i'll probably get the loaded Laramie. One other thing to consider is resale. It's harder to convince people of all the add ons of a loaded Laramie vs. a Limited. If you Kelly Blue book a limited vs. a Laramie you'll see what I mean.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I would have chosen a limited, but they do not offer the front bench seat in the limited. This is a must-have for me so I went with the laramie. I also prefer the chrome look.

jvs600

Reaction score
I would like to speak on the ride quality of the Limited and Laramie. I own a Laramie and I have driven 2 Limited's with air suspension. After driving the 2 Limited's I have no doubt that the Laramie is somehow smoother and offers a noticeably better ride quality. Has anybody else driven both trucks?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Opinions are worth what you pay for them, but all have valid arguments. I have a limited in ivory and like the classy upscale look. I am sure that you will enjoy the RAM, no mater what you decide on. It's a tough dilemma. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread