5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of Coasting/Drag/Engine-Braking?

Ashep.TN

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

This is my first Ram truck and first post to the forum. 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 - 5.7 Hemi (*non E-torque*) - 3.21 - 38k miles.

I've owned the truck for about 2k miles and already had a transmission replaced by FCA. With both the previous transmission and the new transmission I've noticed that the truck doesn't want to coast, especially at speeds under 40mph. As soon as I'm off the throttle the truck drags, almost as if it's always engine-braking. I've read that the 8HP75 + Hemi has some more aggressive "engine-braking" characteristics but do y'all experience this on both flat and hilly grades?

Any insight is appreciated, thank for your help!

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

This is my first Ram truck and first post to the forum. 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 - 5.7 Hemi (*non E-torque*) - 3.21 - 38k miles.

I've owned the truck for about 2k miles and already had a transmission replaced by FCA. With both the previous transmission and the new transmission I've noticed that the truck doesn't want to coast, especially at speeds under 40mph. As soon as I'm off the throttle the truck drags, almost as if it's always engine-braking. I've read that the 8HP75 + Hemi has some more aggressive "engine-braking" characteristics but do y'all experience this on both flat and hilly grades?

Usually it will only downshift when slowing down using the brakes. Simply letting off the gas, mine will coast down. But it is a V8 and will have more engine braking than a V6, if that's what you are used to

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My 2019 is quite the opposite. It coasts and coasts especially when I don't want it to, like coming up to a light on a 2% slope, trying to time it right without having to use the brakes.

I wouldn't be too quick to fault the transmission without making some other checks.

What kind of tires? Oversize mud & snows are going to resist rolling more than a thin-walled factory street tire. Are the tires inflated properly? Brakes don't drag?

What happens if you shift to N? What happens if you overinflate the tires?

Ashep.TN

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

It's a bone stock truck. When the drag is felt on a coast, there is a noticeable difference when shifting into neutral. For me this rules out brakes, tire wear, etc. Definitely something with regards to powertrain.

I'll admit that I am used to a V6 and I'm coming from an older Ford so it's possible that it is normal. It just does feel like the truck should naturally coast through some of the level straight-aways but instead is slowing itself down.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Hello,
We understand your frustrations on having concerns with a new truck. We recommend visiting a dealership to get a diagnosis. Once you are at the dealership, please send us a private message with your VIN so that we can assist you further.
Sylvia
Ram Cares

Ashep.TN

Reaction score
Closing this up. I test drove a 2020 with the 5.7 Hemi and same rear end. It decelerated in a similar manner so I am confident that this is typical of the V8 + ZF 8 speed combo.

Ashep.TN

Reaction score
Hello,
We understand your frustrations on having concerns with a new truck. We recommend visiting a dealership to get a diagnosis. Once you are at the dealership, please send us a private message with your VIN so that we can assist you further.
Sylvia
Ram Cares
Thanks Sylvia , no trip to dealer needed for this specific question.

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

I have felt the same thing . i Chalked it up to Ready Alert Braking (RAB) RAB may reduce the time required to reach full braking during emergency braking situations. It anticipates when an emergency braking situation may occur by monitoring how fast the throttle is released by the driver. The Electronic Brake Control system will prepare the brake system for a panic stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/