5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Koons/beware

Jared43758

Reaction score
I’ve found out while pricing trucks Koons may seem like the lowest prices around. Then at the end they charge you with a destination fee, although already added in msrp, $799 paperwork fees and almost $400 in registration. You get about $3k of fees added to the price before u even get to the sales tax. That seems like a shady what to do business.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you have any copies or pictures? I've never heard of a destination fee being added twice. Maybe it was an error or for something else? I'd be curious to see what fees add up to 3k and how they break down. I've only heard good things about Koons. Maybe @Koons_Tysons_Corner could weigh in

Jared43758

Reaction score
I forgot about the so called WOW price having $1000 off that requires you to finance thur Chrysler’s high rates

rrbhokies

Reaction score
That's because these dealers are backing are saying they are backing out the freight from the the "market value" or "WOW" prices, and then adding it back into the final price. It's a gimmick that most of the Northern Virginia Dealers are doing. I've run into this over the past few years and it's not just Koons and not just on Chrysler vehicles. Personally, I think it's deceptive advertising because they never specify the breakdown of their dealer discount from MSRP. You know that MSRP has freight built in. And then you see freight being added again and say "WTF"???? And then they say that the freight was backed out with the dealer discount because that's "standard practice".

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Not sure what they advertised but the destination fee is something preset and you will pay everywhere. They can't charge you twice for it. If it was already included in the MSRP then I'm guessing (hoping) it was an oversight, either way you can't be doubocharged for it. The license/reg fee looks about right. The processing fee I'm not sure about but is probably negotiable.

Jared43758

Reaction score
Bottom line, it’s bait and switch if u ask me. It’s bad business. Msrp includes destination fee. You shouldn’t have to negotiate over priced fees. And then they sneak the fact you have to get the too high interest loan which there prolly making a profit from or you lose 1000 rebate.

Jared43758

Reaction score
Pasty I hope ur happy with my pic and I’m not just talking. Like I said they offer a price and then add ‘about’ $3000 in fees before the tax.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
The whole sheet looks fishy. Something is just not right. Sad that people actually fall for dealerships like this
Shame on them

Patsy1099

Reaction score
That's because these dealers are backing are saying they are backing out the freight from the the "market value" or "WOW" prices, and then adding it back into the final price. It's a gimmick that most of the Northern Virginia Dealers are doing. I've run into this over the past few years and it's not just Koons and not just on Chrysler vehicles. Personally, I think it's deceptive advertising because they never specify the breakdown of their dealer discount from MSRP. You know that MSRP has freight built in. And then you see freight being added again and say "WTF"???? And then they say that the freight was backed out with the dealer discount because that's "standard practice".

That would sense but I agree that isn't cool. I would ask for it to be removed. If
Pasty I hope ur happy with my pic and I’m not just talking. Like I said they offer a price and then add ‘about’ $3000 in fees before the tax.

Absolutely. Very helpful. I agree that if they originally include the destination fee in the MSRP, then they suggest it's not in there because they somehow redid the price (?), just so they can advertise a lower price, that's misleading. The processing fee appears bogus and is probably negotiable. Not totally sure what that is.

The financing rebate for 1k is kind of a standard one. They give you a rebate if you Finance thru them. Otherwise you can get your own external financing and see if you wins up saving over 1k over the term with your lower rate (from somewhere else).

Bottom line is that you're not going to make many friends or get repeat clients if you can advertise an honest price. Too many dealers have a habit of listing all possible rebates, when in fact many people only qualify for a few of them. I'm not saying Koons does that, just an example.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I was looking making a trip down there from PA. Decided against it after seeing all the added fees. The savings was not worth the trip in my opinion.

Copy and paste from their website.

We make every effort to provide accurate information, but please verify options and price before purchasing. All vehicles are subject to prior sale. All prices are special internet prices only. All financing is subject to approved credit. All prices exclude freight . All prices exclude tax, tags, and processing fee of $799. WOW prices include all applicable rebates and incentives. Additional rebates and incentives, such as Military or College Graduate programs, may apply to those who qualify. WOW pricing may not be compatible with special factory financing. WOW prices are valid based on manufacturer incentive program time periods, which vary by make. See dealer for details.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
The processing fee appears bogus and is probably negotiable. Not totally sure what that is.
In Virginia, every dealer charges a Processing Fee. They say it's to cover their paperwork. They've been charginig it for over 30 years that I know of. It used to be just a few hundred dollars and now can be as much as as $800. It doesn't seem that Virginia regulates it, so dealers are free to charge what they want and most dealers are right around $800. It's bogus, but hard to get around. Maryland, our next door neighbor, I believe has a law that says that the processing fee cannot exceed $350. I've known people that will buy from a Maryland dealer to save $500. I don't know if other states charge processing fees? I'd be interested in knowing? Or is Virginia just a greedy money monger?

Flot

Reaction score
The only shady thing above would be if they actually included destination twice. You should be able to see that on the window sticker. If they did, shame on them. If not, does not look out of line to me.

Those prices for processing and registration may be on the higher side, but a bargain compared to what dealers here in South Florida charge - my nearest Ram dealer has a ** $1200 ** "non-negotiable" processing fee.

I bought my truck from Koons (dealing with their internet guy) and it was painless and I’m planning on ordering a wrangler through them. However I don't believe you'd get the same experience going in person and getting a random salesguy.

Last edited:

RPeezy

Reaction score
I also bought my truck from Koon's and had a great experience overall. The doc fee is high compared to my local dealers, but the out the door price was still lower, and by enough for me to drive it 900 miles back. I also dealt with the internet sales guy, Craig. The price we agreed upon before the order was placed was the price I paid (out the door price, including tax and everything). I also came with financing in hand, and they were able to beat the rate I had. Now, I will say, the finance guy was just like every other finance guy I've ever met: pushy and a little slimy. But you just have to say "no".

Regarding the Chrysler financing and rebate, you could have said no to that. They had a whole list of banks they worked with. I ended up going with US Bank, as they had the best rate.

Last edited:

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not seeing anything sketchy on the sheet besides the high Northern VA standard processing fee and the freight fee being backed out and added back in, but in my experience, every dealership I've ever worked with when I've purchased a new vehicle has done the freight fee shenanigans.

If the APR quote is too high, there's likely something in your credit report that isn't helping you. Absolutely shop around for a better rate!

Jared43758

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with my credit. It’s better than great btw, they never ran my credit or know my info

Users who are viewing this thread