5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock when starting warm

Groffer

Reaction score
I have recently heard a new knock coming from the engine when it’s above 60° F outside and I start the engine when it’s already warm.

For example, I backed in a trailer and turned the truck off and realized I wasn’t far enough back. When I started the truck back up (~20 seconds) I heard 3-4 knocks coming from the engine. The same thing happens when it’s off for less than 5 minutes at a time, and it’s happened multiple times.

I use Pennzoil ultra premium 5W-20 (as recommended my Mopar) and the dipstick says there’s enough in there (about 7.5 quarts) so I’m ruling out low oil as the cause.

Could it just be extra gas built up in the top of the cylinder causing the knock? I only use 89 octane, but I did just get a tank of gas from a different distributer than usual - which I also got 3-4 weeks ago (my last knocking) so I wonder if that could be related.

I’m at 96 idle hours with 1100 hours drive time and only 33k miles on the engine. Luckily my power train is still covered under warranty.

Anybody know what’s going on?

Here’s a link to the video:

Users who are viewing this thread