5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyfobs won't work, panic alarm goes off and truck doesn't start.

Black_wolf

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I both used a Ram Rebel 2020 Night Edition. Everything was goint on perfect, had the oil and filter change, full on gas. Next morning I go to open the truck and the keyfob wont open the doors, tried the other fob and neither did nothing.

I opened the door with the emergency key and the panic alarm goes off, I enter de truck, push the start button with the fob, nothing it keeps sounding the alarm (all the time the display just says "push break pedal and start") I try staying inside the truck until the panic stops, try again to start the car, nothing. The push start button won't even light on ACC Open the passager door and eventually I get mesages on the radio to enter "anti-theft code" no idea were to find that.

I tried disconnecting the batery for one hrs but still fobs won't work and when I open the door with the emergency key the panic goes off again.

I went to check the batery and it's good and charge. I change keyfob batery and nothing.

I haven't been able to star my truck for 5 days now.

Attachments

• 3CCEDC3E-7C29-43DF-99F1-203FFEA3B49D.jpeg
    3CCEDC3E-7C29-43DF-99F1-203FFEA3B49D.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you contacted a dealership service manager about this problem? I'm assuming your truck is still under warranty since it's a 2020, unless you've exceeded the mileage.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
I have had exact same problem with our 2018 Challenger, cause = dead battery inside the key fob. Installed new battery (be sure not to use cheap Chinese battery, pay the extra few dollars for good quality)(make sure to install it right side up, if upside down same problem will occur, yeah I did that once). New battery in key fob and everything works like it should.

Dave

Black_wolf

Reaction score
Have you contacted a dealership service manager about this problem? I'm assuming your truck is still under warranty since it's a 2020, unless you've exceeded the mileage.
Yes. The dealer has the truck. I bought it used so it not a Ram dealer. I still don't know if I'm getting my truck back or if they are going to cancel the sell. 😢. It's really difficult to find rebels here

Ultra-Harley

Reaction score
Try this....put FOB on front seat. Exit truck and then lock the door with the button on the door handle. The horn should blow 3 times..(telling you it cant lock because the FOB is inside). then remove FOB and try it. My FOB stopped working and this solved it.

Black_wolf

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I both used a Ram Rebel 2020 Night Edition. Everything was goint on perfect, had the oil and filter change, full on gas. Next morning I go to open the truck and the keyfob wont open the doors, tried the other fob and neither did nothing.

I opened the door with the emergency key and the panic alarm goes off, I enter de truck, push the start button with the fob, nothing it keeps sounding the alarm (all the time the display just says "push break pedal and start") I try staying inside the truck until the panic stops, try again to start the car, nothing. The push start button won't even light on ACC Open the passager door and eventually I get mesages on the radio to enter "anti-theft code" no idea were to find that.

I tried disconnecting the batery for one hrs but still fobs won't work and when I open the door with the emergency key the panic goes off again.

I went to check the batery and it's good and charge. I change keyfob batery and nothing.

I haven't been able to star my truck for 5 days now.
I've ended up returning the rebel. Got a brand new 2022 warlock

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP described to a T what we had happening with my wife's jeep for the last 5 weeks on and off, except we could start the Jeep by pushing fob into start button.

First time it happened was just before xmas. Proximity or remote will not open door. use physical key, sets off alarm but once inside pushing the fob on the start button fixed it. Got it back home, and could not reproduce it. Everything worked as it should, so we chalked it up to a gremlin....
then it happened again a few days after xmas - after more than a dozen times using the jeep! Just random, no proximity, no remote response, alarm going off when getting in, but then ok to start...
and then we can't reproduce it again, all seems ok...

ordered batteries, make the swap, and cross fingers that all is good.... again, can't reproduce the issue.....

then just like all the other times, totally random, no proximity, no remote response, alarm, etc.etc etc...
but this time, we recorded because we knew if we took it to the dealer, they wouldn't be able to recreate / diagnose it

show tech the video, and his first question...... "Do you have an apple airtag?"

sure enough, we have one on every fob, and have had them since June!!!

no airtag, no issues going on 2 weeks!

before writing this, I searched the forum for airtag, and there were no hits, so I suspect no one in Ramland has had this issue (including me)

Camelot

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck. Glad you got it sorted with the dealer.

Black_wolf

Reaction score
There's no reason to knock his new truck. All that matters if that he's happy with it. Maybe it's not something you'd do, but who are you to make someone else feel bad about choices they made. I like the Warlock. They're great looking trucks.

@Black_wolf, congrats on your new truck! How about a couple pics?
Thx. I took off all the fabric decals and hopefully soon I'm going to start to install new things on it. I already got the reciever and the hitch, going to install that tomorrow and I already ordered the running board.

Attachments

• C7C52280-525B-4CA1-8344-F4F602B1D965.jpeg
    C7C52280-525B-4CA1-8344-F4F602B1D965.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 23

Black_wolf

Reaction score
Your warlock looks great! Almost the same look as the 4th gen Rebels (which I used to own). Thanks for posting the pic!
Yep. A bit smaller than the 4th gen Rebel but thats definitely the look they were going for with it. Everything on the inside is 4th gen which I do love. Hopefully soon I find the tow hooks and the fog lights to give that front a bit more life. But it's all coming together real nice.

Attachments

• 5DD6AC05-AD0D-49CB-A23F-545AE100C5C0.jpeg
    5DD6AC05-AD0D-49CB-A23F-545AE100C5C0.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 12

Tfarr1260

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to my 2022 Night Edition Laramie. Had to have the truck towed to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad RF Hub. I get it back today...

Attachments

• Truck 1.jpg
    Truck 1.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 9

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP described to a T what we had happening with my wife's jeep for the last 5 weeks on and off, except we could start the Jeep by pushing fob into start button.

First time it happened was just before xmas. Proximity or remote will not open door. use physical key, sets off alarm but once inside pushing the fob on the start button fixed it. Got it back home, and could not reproduce it. Everything worked as it should, so we chalked it up to a gremlin....
then it happened again a few days after xmas - after more than a dozen times using the jeep! Just random, no proximity, no remote response, alarm going off when getting in, but then ok to start...
and then we can't reproduce it again, all seems ok...

ordered batteries, make the swap, and cross fingers that all is good.... again, can't reproduce the issue.....

then just like all the other times, totally random, no proximity, no remote response, alarm, etc.etc etc...
but this time, we recorded because we knew if we took it to the dealer, they wouldn't be able to recreate / diagnose it

show tech the video, and his first question...... "Do you have an apple airtag?"

sure enough, we have one on every fob, and have had them since June!!!

no airtag, no issues going on 2 weeks!

before writing this, I searched the forum for airtag, and there were no hits, so I suspect no one in Ramland has had this issue (including me)

Le_Slacker - Any more info on airtags? Did you ever get it working again with airtags? Or have you abandoned the idea of using airtags on your fob?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Le_Slacker - Any more info on airtags? Did you ever get it working again with airtags? Or have you abandoned the idea of using airtags on your fob?

Still using AirTags with the jeep fob. Added a ring that adds a little more distance between tag and fob (in theory) and it’s hardly ever an issue now.
Never had these issues with the ram fobs, but occasionally I get a fob not detected message and I am not sure if it’s related to the AirTag or not.

Users who are viewing this thread