5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyfob Range (Terrible)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The FCC regulation for unintended radiation can be found in FCC Part 15 (47 CFR) Section 15.109. While there are specifications for compliance, radiation cannot exceed certain limits beginning at 30 Mhz and at a distance of 3 meters. Unfortunately, the distance for any illuminating device (ie: bulb) would likely be within the immediate radius of the entire vehicle.

Most of the LEDs I'm familiar with radiate RF below 30 Mhz. This could affect the low frequency receiver located behind the rear seat on Rams.

The lesson here is chose your LEDs wisely.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045573 miles.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
Mines sometimes work really good (long range) and sometimes it's really bad. I have found that if I ''point'' the keyfoab in the truck direction, its works better.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have added a remote start and LED tail/brake bulbs, and mine still works from pretty far away. I haven't measured the distance, but I can start mine from the checkout counter at Lowes, and I always park a substantial distance from the exit

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
No, not near my cell phone per se...though I usually have my cell on me (who doesn't???).

Thank you all for the responses though - it is clear MY fob is the problem, not all of them. Could be the taillights, but I'd have some serious beef with FCA if their own headlights interfered that much. Thanks again everyone. I'll check back when I get a chance to change the battery.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is aftermarket led lights that were interfering with the key fobs. Factory lights should be just fine. Have you tried both fobs? My fobs work from a long distance and I have aftermarket led cargo lights installed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Holding the FOB pressed to your chest does work indeed. Greatly increases range.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always put the fob to my chin and used my jaw as an antenna.

My last truck (2003 Ford F-250) was terrible. Even with a new battery the fob would only reach about 10 feet. Using the jaw/antenna trick I could unlock the truck from 30 feet or so.

Users who are viewing this thread