5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyfob Range (Terrible)

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
I'm in a 2020 Longhorn EcoDiesel here, and wondering how many people have issues with the keyfob range. What is the point of having remote start/tailgate release/whatever else if you literally have to be standing next to the truck for it to work? I get *MAYBE* 20ft of range out of it before it craps out. Anyone else have similar issues with their keyfobs? Super frustrating.

Drewster

Reaction score
Nope - do you have any aftermarket accessories plugged into your truck? I can hit the remote start as I'm walking up to the parking garage, and that's ~100 ft.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LED lights around causing interference? Try a new battery? How about the trick where you touch the fob to your head?

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Yeah I've tried the head trick. Haven't done any LED mods so unless factory LEDs are interfering, I'm not convinced of that, either.

I will eventually try a new battery but its been like this since I got it, and I haven't had it but 4000mi so I'm dubious that it would be the fob battery already. I'll report back if that helps, though.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Longhorn and both my keyfobs have exceptional range. I suggest taking yours back to dealership and see if they "might" be able to replace them

Joshua022

Reaction score
My brand new 21 does this, maybe 30ft of range. So I use the app more than anything.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
LED lights around causing interference? Try a new battery? How about the trick where you touch the fob to your head?

Yeah I've tried the head trick. Haven't done any LED mods so unless factory LEDs are interfering, I'm not convinced of that, either.

I will eventually try a new battery but its been like this since I got it, and I haven't had it but 4000mi so I'm dubious that it would be the fob battery already. I'll report back if that helps, though.

I believe Scram1500's reference was to LED lights near the truck. Garage lights, etc.
Example: I had to put incandescent lamps back in my garage door opener because soon as I raised the door, the LED lamps came on and were interfering with my key fob. Soon as I took out the LED lamps, I could remote start from a hundred yards or so.

Steve

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At my Lowe's, 300 feet or so.
Harris-Teeter, 50 foot on a good day. Too many other vehicles sharing the band I guess.

Drewster

Reaction score
Would the truck's LED taillights have anything to do with this?
As others mentioned, no - the factory lights are designed and tested (with everything else on the truck) not to break regulations for electromagnetic interference that would cause this issue.

That being said, just about any aftermarket add-on could cause this, because they generally don't go through any testing - even FCC. If you have anything that didn't come from the factory installed (aftermarket tuner, pedal commander, LED's, whatever) you should remove it and see if the situation improves.

A few years ago I helped try to fix an aftermarket dongle that radiated so bad it would cause TPMS codes because it drowned out the wheel sensors :sneaky:

Scram1500

Reaction score
I believe Scram1500's reference was to LED lights near the truck. Garage lights, etc.
Example: I had to put incandescent lamps back in my garage door opener because soon as I raised the door, the LED lamps came on and were interfering with my key fob. Soon as I took out the LED lamps, I could remote start from a hundred yards or so.

Steve
Yes, thank you I was a little vague but any LED light in the area can affect the fob signal. Not to sound like a nut job, but the RF signal generated by LED should be scrutinized better (if at all anymore) by the FCC

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, thank you I was a little vague but any LED light in the area can affect the fob signal. Not to sound like a nut job, but the RF signal generated by LED should be scrutinized better (if at all anymore) by the FCC
Not a nut job at all. However, do you really think the FCC is going to take the time, or has the resources, to check every cheap LED bulb being shipped here by China to see if it effects the fob operation of a RAM truck :unsure:

Scram1500

Reaction score
Not a nut job at all. However, do you really think the FCC is going to take the time, or has the resources, to check every cheap LED bulb being shipped here by China to see if it effects the fob operation of a RAM truck :unsure:
Lol, no I do not. Specially if they are under the "green energy" umbrella

FL Laramie

Reaction score
2019 Laramie and as others have said, no issues. Actually surprised how far it works (150'-200') at the beach parking lot. Nothing worse than lugging all the family beach gear to the beach entry and realizing you forgot to lock the truck. The fob distance is the best I've used.

Drewster

Reaction score
Lol, no I do not. Specially if they are under the "green energy" umbrella
It has more to do with deregulation in general. The automotive industry has to deal with strict regulations of their own, so they lobbied for an exemption from the FCC. You wouldn't want to over-regulate those key industries, right?
Lazy/ cheap aftermarket companies exploit that gap, because now they're not subject to either the automotive regulations (because FCA/ GM/ etc. isn't certifying them), and they can walk right through the giant "automotive exemption" from the FCC.

I will say that if you *do* find a set of noisy LED's, etc. you should report it to the FCC. That's how the system is supposed to work, and as long as people take their aftermarket stuff and go "huh, weird" and either live with or throw it those products in the trash, the FCC isn't going to bother with it. If it's radiating on those frequencies, there's a good chance the FCC really *should* look into it before it screws with something more important than a key FOB.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you using it near your cell phone? The Owner's Manual says that the fob is good for about 66' and that if other electronics are nearby that could interfere with the signal:

Fob.jpg

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a 2013 Ford Edge with factory remote...worst range EVER...range was maybe 20 feet in a good day...my 19 Ram is really good... yours is definitely not normal

Users who are viewing this thread