5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey gang - I have been reading through all of the pages of replies here and I don't see my specific scenario...

Bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn with the Hemi engine and I am getting the "Key Fob not Detected" alert when I attempt to start the vehicle. The auto unlock handles and lock button on the handles also do not work.
All buttons on the key fob work properly at all times - lock, unlock, remote start, lower vehicle, drop tailgate, alarm.
I cannot get the vehicle to recognize the key fob even with my foot off the brake, I have to touch the key fob directly to the push to start button to start the vehicle. Then occasionally I get the "Key Fob has left the Vehicle" alert after it has been started.
I do not have LEDs in my 3rd brake light nor cargo lights. There are LEDs in the bed but I believe those are stock.
Truck battery is healthy and the key fob batteries are fresh.

I am stumped on the next step for troubleshooting - any ideas?
I have an appointment with RAM in a few weeks for them to check out the RF hub for water damage and possibly reset my key fobs.

Thanks
Can you try your spare FOB? if that doesn't work, the RF receiver may be the culprit. Did you ever have a rear window or third brake light leak?

adorms

Reaction score
Can you try your spare FOB? if that doesn't work, the RF receiver may be the culprit. Did you ever have a rear window or third brake light leak?
Thanks for your reply. Neither FOB works properly to start the vehicle. They both act the same. I don't know if there was a leak - I just got the truck last week. It sat outside with the previous owner so there is a high possibility that could be the case. Do you know where the RF receiver is?
I would like to take a look at it and see if there's any residual moisture.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Neither FOB works properly to start the vehicle. They both act the same. I don't know if there was a leak - I just got the truck last week. It sat outside with the previous owner so there is a high possibility that could be the case. Do you know where the RF receiver is?

It should be on the back wall of the cab, driver's side.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see. If it were a truck I just bought, I'd bring it back to them so they can rectify the situation. I'm sure it's out of factory warranty, but they should make it right IMO.
It should be on the back wall of the cab, driver's side.
Yes.

adorms

Reaction score
I see. If it were a truck I just bought, I'd bring it back to them so they can rectify the situation. I'm sure it's out of factory warranty, but they should make it right IMO.

Yes.
Private party sale - priced appropriately for the issues. I'm optimistic I can get it fixed. Going to have the stealership take a look at the RF modules tomorrow

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Private party sale - priced appropriately for the issues. I'm optimistic I can get it fixed. Going to have the stealership take a look at the RF modules tomorrow
Copy that. The part is only like $100 online. I just don't know if it requires computer programming. If not it would probably be a easy do it yourself thing.

adorms

Reaction score
Copy that. The part is only like $100 online. I just don't know if it requires computer programming. If not it would probably be a easy do it yourself thing.
I would love to just do it myself but unfortunately it does need programming from the stealership so I will let them do it. Will update if I'm able to find a resolution tomorrow.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Apparently, RF Hubs are on backorder. A few guys have recently posted that it has taken 2-3 months to get one.

adorms

Reaction score
Well here is the update after taking it to the stealer for diagnosis...
Faulty wiring in my back left door is causing a short amongst all of the passive entry antennas and causing the key to not be recognized when inside the vehicle.
I'm glad they found the problem so quickly but the 8 hours of labor to disassemble my door and rewire is not cheap.
$1650 quote and $1300 after some negotiating.
The technician sent a video with a bypass around the door wire harness and showed the vehicle being fully operational again.
I wish it was a simple case of a 3rd brake light LED but -$1300 later everything works again.

Dalnkwnt

Reaction score
I have a 2022 ram 1500 big horn. I replaced the whole housing with a new led 3rd break light. I also switch the headlights, tail lights, fog lights and the blinkers. Did this all a month ago. Two nights ago I parked my truck in my driveway and locked it with the remote. The next morning neither key fob works at all for anything. Even my app on my phone doesn’t work. I can’t unlock the doors, start the truck, etc. When I replaced all the halogen lights with led I DID switch everything over to led with alfa obd except the blinkers in the mirrors. It’s been two days in which I can’t use my truck. If I use the valet (emergency key) to get in the truck the alarm goes off. Then I have to disconnect the battery. So I even tried leaving the battery disconnected for an hr to see if the alarm would stop….nope. I also tried putting the key fob to the start button to start it and stop alarm….nope. I don’t get any errors on the dash but alarms going off so who knows. For $#!s and giggles I’m going to put my factory 3rd break light in in the morning to see if there is a change. I have no clue what to do. I didn’t see anywhere in alfa to change the mirror blinkers btw 🤷🏽‍♂️. Ram dealership can’t take my truck until Wednesday! Today is Friday. I also tried turning the valet key 6 times to turn alarm off cause on other cars I heard that works. Didn’t! If I bring my truck to dealer ship is my warranty gonna be voided for installing lights? Should I tell em about me doing the alfa and security bypass? I’m stumpt!!

Users who are viewing this thread