5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key fob programming

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is true that when a dealer or a locksmith uses their respective witech dealer or aftermarket accounts, that a rolling pin is assigned to perform fob programming while connected.
Aftermarket fob programmers have since figured out how to pull the static PIN from the hub and program the fob as a standalone function.
Jscan and AlfaOBD model their apps on the Chrysler diagnostic app engineering software, so their procedures for pulling the pin and programming a fob don’t work because there is no online/cloud connection to wiTECH.
Jscan was able to use the procedures of an aftermarket fob programmer and implement them into their app.
There must be some small difference between pulling the pin on a 2019+ HD ram, and pulling it on a 5th gen 1500, which is why it’s probably not working yet on the 1500.
I know that with the aftermarket programmer I have, it pulls a 5 digit pin on an HD Ram, and requests a 5 digit pin to be entered when programming the fob. But, on a 5th gen 1500, it pulls a 5 digit pin, but requests a 6 digit pin to be entered when programming the fob, in which case, you just enter a zero in front of the 5 digit pin that was pulled.
I'll confirm on my 5th gen 1500, have not been able to read pin using jscan yet; however, I did successfully program a key, offline, using an autel km100. was able to read a 4 digit pin, and that worked for programing. it takes some time, so it really makes me wonder if "reading" is just a brute force attack until I finds a code that works. I timed it, was like 8 minutes and some change. second time I read pin several weeks later almost exactly the same time and pin output. so I dont know if there is like a legacy function or what. dealer did give me a 5 digit, but did not work with any tool I tried. for heck of it, I noticed the autel km100 also read the pin a few weeks later and it did not change from previous reading. so I'm not sure if there is like some sort of legacy 4-digit pin function still leftover, even though it wouldn't necessarily be used by a dealer.

Ttooker

Reaction score
How much to have you program my fob for a 2021 patriot edition? I’ll be in SE MI tomorrow

Location? I’ll be in Dearborn at FMC. Noonish. Oak wood tavern?
I can’t stay around till then. Live in holland. It is a new fob

Storm Tech

Reaction score
It did require a pin, but it reads the pin as well. I don’t know about used fobs, it doesn’t mention that at all
Was the PIN 4 digits or 5 digits? I’ve been reading threads that are saying it’s a 4 digit pin that expires in 24 hours and other threads saying it’s a 5 digit code with a letter. I bought a new FOB and my mechanic has the tool to program it, but told me I needed the PIN. I went to the dealer and got the PIN. The one the dealer gave me is 4 digits and they said it would expire in 24 hours. I told them I needed it to program new fobs.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Was the PIN 4 digits or 5 digits? I’ve been reading threads that are saying it’s a 4 digit pin that expires in 24 hours and other threads saying it’s a 5 digit code with a letter. I bought a new FOB and my mechanic has the tool to program it, but told me I needed the PIN. I went to the dealer and got the PIN. The one the dealer gave me is 4 digits and they said it would expire in 24 hours. I told them I needed it to program new fobs.
When I read the pin it comes as 5 digits no letters

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your mechanic is wrong and must not have the proper equipment to program fobs on a 5th Gen. Getting a pin from dealer to give to him won't do anything. That's not how it works anymore.

Storm Tech

Reaction score
Your mechanic is wrong and must not have the proper equipment to program fobs on a 5th Gen. Getting a pin from dealer to give to him won't do anything. That's not how it works anymore.
He just got a new computer/scan setup and it has the capabilities to program new key fobs for vehicles. He’s still getting to learn it and what its full potential is. We are going to meet up Saturday and try and program a fob (one with tailgate release). When I spoke to the dealer and asked for the pin specifically for new key fobs they gave me the 4 digit number and didn’t say anything else other then the pin would expire in 24 hours… At this point I have the fob anyway so might as well try anyway. He’s never tried to program a FOB on a 5th gen so maybe he’ll have the capability to pull the pin on his device like others have. Thank you for the info !

Last edited:

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Where are you guys finding a good price on a remote with the remote start button?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So jscan still can’t do them either?
Not yet. It can do the 2019+ HD Rams, but apparently the technical process is slightly different for the DT RF Hub, so he’s still working on it.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did send some cab logs to j-scan developer of using a working tool on a 1500. Time will tell if it plays out.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I can confirm the Autel 508s works to program keys on the newer 5th gens. Just programmed successfully 2 smart remotes with remote start to a 2023dt that came from the factory without remote start keys. Turned on the option using Alpa, programmed the after market keys and now have remote start and remote tail gate

Users who are viewing this thread