5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key fob programming

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Probably not for everyone, but I know several people who have wanted the tailgate feature or new fobs with factory remote start and now I can program and charge less than the $175 the dealer wants if you provide your own fob, or even more if you buy it from them. Even locksmiths around here charge $150 just to program it. The way I see it I wanted it, I used it, I have several others that want me to do keys for them as well, and it does many makes and models so it will pay for itself.
Dumb question, but do you happen to know if you need to add the remote start module(in addition to programming it) in order to make the remote start function on the key work? Long story short, I've got a factory unlocked key with remote start button, and I can enable the setting in Jscan. I just wasn't sure if there was a special module needed.

Georgf

Reaction score
Dumb question, but do you happen to know if you need to add the remote start module(in addition to programming it) in order to make the remote start function on the key work? Long story short, I've got a factory unlocked key with remote start button, and I can enable the setting in Jscan. I just wasn't sure if there was a special module needed.
I read here that you just need to program the new key fob and the remote start will work. An additional module is not needed.

sman301

Reaction score
Anyone know of a cheaper key programmer that will work on the 5th gen rams?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I have the tninja 1000. It was on sale for 400 at key4.com when I bought it. It’s easy to use and now that I’ve done a few fobs for people I’d say it’s paid for itself

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the tninja 1000. It was on sale for 400 at key4.com when I bought it. It’s easy to use and now that I’ve done a few fobs for people I’d say it’s paid for itself
Not unless you charges the other people to do their fobs

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Exactly, charge them less than dealers or locksmith and it saves them money while paying for your equipment and time

Frankf300

Reaction score
Tonight my new key fob programmer came in. I successfully programmed a new fob(now with tailgate open function)for my 22 5th gen that didn’t have that function before. The new programmer will do most makes and models and should pay for itself after a couple uses.

Looking into getting one of these, but haven’t really seen much else about this programmer elsewhere. You were able to program simply by using the SGW bypass and OBD port? You didn’t have to connect to the STAR connector? It seems like everyone programming these 5th gen keys has to connect to the STAR port. You have this style key in the picture? I already have a bypass for the SGW because I use AlfaOBD so this would be a pretty easy solution for the un-programmed key sitting in my drawer that I didn’t realize Alfa couldn’t program when I bought it LOL!
IMG_0883.jpeg

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Looking into getting one of these, but haven’t really seen much else about this programmer elsewhere. You were able to program simply by using the SGW bypass and OBD port? You didn’t have to connect to the STAR connector? It seems like everyone programming these 5th gen keys has to connect to the STAR port. You have this style key in the picture? I already have a bypass for the SGW because I use AlfaOBD so this would be a pretty easy solution for the un-programmed key sitting in my drawer that I didn’t realize Alfa couldn’t program when I bought it LOL!
View attachment 163261
The programmer came with the sgw bypass cable. I used that and retrieved the pin and programmed the fob with the programmer. The star connector is simply a canbus connection point beyond the sgw. You could use that too and may be easier on some vehicles depending on where the sgw is, but since the programmer already came with the bypass and it’s easy to use I did it that way

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just an FYI, Jscan app can now pull the PIN from the RF hub and program a fob after the new update a few days ago. He didn’t add it yet for DT 1500, so you would select Ram DJ 2500 as the vehicle.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
where are you located I will pay you to program one for me

If you want to pay someone, why not just go to a local locksmith? That's what I did when I bought my $39 fobs off eBay. I think it was something like $80 to cut the metal valet keys and also program the fobs.

Frankf300

Reaction score
Just an FYI, Jscan app can now pull the PIN from the RF hub and program a fob after the new update a few days ago. He didn’t add it yet for DT 1500, so you would select Ram DJ 2500 as the vehicle.
WOW...that's a pretty huge update for 5th gen owners. Already have everything for AlfaOBD so gonna get Jscan and give this a shot. Thanks for the info!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does that mean people can use Jscan to steal trucks now? Bring a blank fob, break into a truck, use Jscan to program the fob, and drive off?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does that mean people can use Jscan to steal trucks now? Bring a blank fob, break into a truck, use Jscan to program the fob, and drive off?
Well, you still need a working fob to turn on the truck for Jscan to connect

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you still need a working fob to turn on the truck for Jscan to connect
Do you? How does a locksmith (or a Ram technician) do it if you’ve lost your key fob? I assume they can connect to the RF hub without a valid key present.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Do you? How does a locksmith (or a Ram technician) do it if you’ve lost your key fob? I assume they can connect to the RF hub without a valid key present.
My programmer has an “all keys lost” mode that allows fobs to be programmed without having one present. Looking at the JScan it mentions for when the rf hub was replaced or a fob needs to be added, so maybe you don’t need one to run this function?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online