5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob Emergency Key

Barney556180

Reaction score
Is the pullout emergency key in the key fob only for unlocking a door if the fob battery is dead?

I ask because the manual doesn’t mention it’s use. Is it possible to lock my truck with the fob inside and take only the emergency key with me kayaking.

Be nice if this were doable...

U

User_21361

Short answer, no. Long answer, if wrap your fob in foil to block the RFID signal, you can achieve this. The process I use is, wrap fob in foil, hit the lock button on the door. When you unlock with your key , your alarm will go off. Then you have to hit the fob to stop the alarm

Last edited by a moderator:

yellowboy

Reaction score
I got the dealer to throw in a third fob into my sale and I have it in a signal blocking pouch hidden in my truck just in case .

RustyDog559

Reaction score
I use a HitchSafe HS7000T Key Vault that plugs into the tow hitch and locks in. I have a faraday key fob protector in the vault.

When I want to go fishing or leave the truck with no keys, I put the fob with the emergency key in the protector and put the protector in the hitch safe and then leave.

You can also store a 3rd key too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSConsulting

Reaction score
My previous car(s) and this one (when I get around to it) - I have a copy of the emergency key made. Put it in a baggie and zip tie it under the vehicle somewhere stealth (usually on top of the spare). RIFD Bag the spare fob somewhere inside.

My last car, it was gorilla taped under the dash for a couple of years - couldn't get it loose when I traded in (I wish whoever tries the best of luck, that sucker was IN THERE).

There's plenty of hiding spots inside for a spare fob in this truck - including even the obvious glovebox(s) or one of the console spots.

Yeah - the security system will go off (or you can try and do a remote unlock with UConnect Guardian if you wasted the $$ past the free trial and it ACTUALLY WORKS), but only until you retrieve the fob and disarm.

I will NOT be using Gorilla Tape this time (lesson learned).

Rick

cjmst23

Reaction score
So, there's no way to start the truck WITHOUT the fob, even if you have the emergency key?

d19r93

Reaction score
So, there's no way to start the truck WITHOUT the fob, even if you have the emergency key?
If you physically don't have the fob, no you cannot start it. If the fob is dead, you can touch it to the start button and it will send just enough power to power the RFID chip to let the truck start.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Then what is the point?

To assist putting a bulge in your jeans. :cool:

Like most modern vehicles, there are no longer key starts. Push button saves wear and tear, etc. Fob assists with remote start, for those without UConnect, keyless door entry and exit, etc. etc.

Put the keys in a waterproof pouch in your kayak, or in the pocket of your life vest, etc.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Then what is the point?
I was searching for something else, but I felt compelled to answer this after 3 years

The keyless entry/keyless start is a convenience so you can walk up and unlock the door and you can start/drive the vehicle without ever taking the key out of your purse or pocket. This process requires a little bit of power from both the vehicle and the key to establish a wireless communication.

If the truck is dead: The physical key will gain you entry to the cab and under the hood to repair the battery. You won't be starting the truck with a dead battery, so there's no point in having a physical key to start the truck. Jump or Replace the battery and the keyless system will go back to normal.

If the fob is dead: The truck still has power to send out communication, but the key cannot respond. As a backup, the key has a RFID coil inside that works exactly like an HID/proximity keycard. You will still be able to enter and start the vehicle by holding the key/fob it near the Start button. For the record, the RFID is located in the base of the physical key, not the fob itself.

Proximity/RFID only has a usable range of about 2-inches (usually). RFID works by the reader constantly emitting a small electromagnetic field. When the RFID comes within range, the EM field produces just enough energy to power the RFID and send a signal back.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the pullout emergency key in the key fob only for unlocking a door if the fob battery is dead?

I ask because the manual doesn’t mention it’s use. Is it possible to lock my truck with the fob inside and take only the emergency key with me kayaking.

Be nice if this were doable...
The emergency key is to get in if the fob won't unlock the door. That can sometimes happen, even if the fob isn't dead, due to electrical interference in the area. ( my daughter called me one day because she, and like 3 other people couldn't unlock their cars with remote.) you can, however lock your fob in the truck and use the key. The truck will do the three beeps, and unlock, but after 3 attempts it will lock. When you do unlock with the key, it will set off the alarm. The key does not deactivate the alarm.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I was searching for something else, but I felt compelled to answer this after 3 years

The keyless entry/keyless start is a convenience so you can walk up and unlock the door and you can start/drive the vehicle without ever taking the key out of your purse or pocket. This process requires a little bit of power from both the vehicle and the key to establish a wireless communication.

If the truck is dead: The physical key will gain you entry to the cab and under the hood to repair the battery. You won't be starting the truck with a dead battery, so there's no point in having a physical key to start the truck. Jump or Replace the battery and the keyless system will go back to normal.

If the fob is dead: The truck still has power to send out communication, but the key cannot respond. As a backup, the key has a RFID coil inside that works exactly like an HID/proximity keycard. You will still be able to enter and start the vehicle by holding the key/fob it near the Start button. For the record, the RFID is located in the base of the physical key, not the fob itself.

Proximity/RFID only has a usable range of about 2-inches (usually). RFID works by the reader constantly emitting a small electromagnetic field. When the RFID comes within range, the EM field produces just enough energy to power the RFID and send a signal back.

I'm glad you posted this, because it forced me to do a little research. If I decide to buy the AJT Key Fob, I will need to stash the base of the physical key somewhere in the truck, just in case my fob battery dies. AJT should include this information in their key fob swap out video, but I bet he doesn't know the "knuckle" as he calls it, contains the RFID chip.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this, because it forced me to do a little research. If I decide to buy the AJT Key Fob, I will need to stash the base of the physical key somewhere in the truck, just in case my fob battery dies. AJT should include this information in their key fob swap out video, but I bet he doesn't know the "knuckle" as he calls it, contains the RFID chip.

Hang on…are you guys referring to this piece circled below as having the rfid?
I don’t even have the whole physical key at all for two of my spare fobs, and everything functions normally with the fob in my pocket.
460540B6-9C9B-418A-8A34-9004A3A6FA50.jpeg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I found this on a Ram dealership's website.

View attachment 152102
Interesting they started doing it that way with the 1500’s. The physical key for the HDs definitely doesn’t do anything, but I can remove the battery and key from the fob and start the truck by pressing the button with the fob.

6of36

Reaction score
Hang on…are you guys referring to this piece circled below as having the rfid?
I don’t even have the whole physical key at all for two of my spare fobs, and everything functions normally with the fob in my pocket.
View attachment 152053
That is just a roll pin to hold the blade to the cap.

6of36

Reaction score

I do believe the chip is on the board. When you put your board into that case, it works as normal.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That should say fobick not key. The key blank only unlocks the cylinder.

After I posted that screenshot, I pulled the spare key out of my key fob. It just didn't look like there was anything in that part of the key that would allow you to start the truck. I tried it...it doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread