5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob distance

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine is 5 years for traffic/nav data, but only one year for the actual Guardian service (and one year for music).
I believe you're correct. I just looked mine up again since it had been a while. I mistook if for the Travel link and assumed that included guardian service.
So, the way it reads is:

XM Sat Radio: 1 yr
XM Travel Link: 5 yrs
XM Guardian & Traffic Plus: 1 yr

In my opinion, Travel link is pretty worthless and I can do without it. I mean, do we really need to see movies and sports scores in our trucks? Who doesn't have a smart phone for that nowadays?

I could do without traffic plus if my CarPlay was solid, but at the moment, it is not reliable (it's a crapshoot if it connects or not when plugging in the cable).
Same with XM radio. I use it now, but I will not renew. I use Pandora for audio when away from the truck anyway.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine is 5 years for traffic/nav data, but only one year for the actual Guardian service (and one year for music).
Are you sure? It's kind of hard to decipher.
This is from my window sticker:

1550502172334.jpeg

Maple

Reaction score
I believe you're correct. I just looked mine up again since it had been a while. I mistook if for the Travel link and assumed that included guardian service.
So, the way it reads is:

XM Sat Radio: 1 yr
XM Travel Link: 5 yrs
XM Guardian & Traffic Plus: 1 yr

In my opinion, Travel link is pretty worthless and I can do without it. I mean, do we really need to see movies and sports scores in our trucks? Who doesn't have a smart phone for that nowadays?

I could do without traffic plus if my CarPlay was solid, but at the moment, it is not reliable (it's a crapshoot if it connects or not when plugging in the cable).
Same with XM radio. I use it now, but I will not renew. I use Pandora for audio when away from the truck anyway.

Thanks,
One way to tell is that they're probably already sending you letters to get you to subscribe to Guardian after your trial period. :D

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
One way to tell is that they're probably already sending you letters to get you to subscribe to Guardian after your trial period. :D
Yeah, confirmed that Traffic is 5 years for me as well. I forgot that there are two different subscription websites, one for XM Guardian, and one for XM Radio's music, as well as the different services.
As you can see below, this is just for the XM services. The guardian service is a totally different product, on it's own site, which makes it confusing. For guardian, I confirmed that it's only one year, and to renew it will be ~$200/yr (for me that will be in June 2019.

Very happy that traffic trial is good for 5 years. Music & Travel Link I really can do without, even with the 5-year complimentary subscription.
I may renew Guardian since I like having the SOS service for emergencies.

1550503526571.jpeg 1550504280572.jpeg

Maple

Reaction score
Yeah, confirmed that Traffic is 5 years for me as well. I forgot that there are two different subscription websites, one for XM Guardian, and one for XM Radio's music, as well as the different services.
As you can see below, this is just for the XM services. The guardian service is a totally different product, on it's own site, which makes it confusing. For guardian, I confirmed that it's only one year, and to renew it will be ~$200/yr (for me that will be in June 2019.

Very happy that traffic trial is good for 5 years. Music & Travel Link I really can do without, even with the 5-year complimentary subscription.
I may renew Guardian since I like having the SOS service for emergencies.

View attachment 16463 View attachment 16464
Sometimes the Guardian service will result in lowered insurance premiums, as well (due to the location tracking aspect).

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Everyone's experience will be different. RF is very peculiar on how it behaves. There are many variables, specially obstacles and interference from other sources, With clear line of sight, I can easily get 200-300 ft or more.

For the nerds...

There are five Low Frequency (LF) antennas located on these vehicles. These LF antennas allow the key fob within the RFH (Radio Frequency Hub) to communicate with a key fob that is located inside the vehicle or, at most, about 1.5 meters (5 feet) from the door handle touch point.

The LF antennas are located:

1. rear left door
2. rear right door
3. rear cab back
4. center console
5. rear bed/bumper

The RFH uses communication through the LF antennas to wake up and challenge a key fob that is within range in order to authenticate whether that key fob is valid (programmed) to the vehicle.

The RFH communication with the key fob is on a 125 kilohertz using Amplitude-Shift Keying (ASK).

Each antenna unit has two dedicated connections to the RFH. One connection is the LF antenna output circuit, while the other connection Is the LF antenna return circuit. These circuits to each antenna unit are a twisted pair to help reduce the potential for induced electrical interference. The RFH continuously monitors all of the LF antenna units and will store a DTC for any fault that it detects.
Excellent write up!

I have a question: Since the RFH continually scans all of the LF antenna units, would the RFH know if one of its antennas were misding or not connected and store an error code?

You and I spoke on another thread about LEDs causing key fob interference. I am encountering the "key fob not detected error", which makes me wonder if the antenna in my console is missing or not connected. The dealer replaced the original console as they damaged it after completely disassembling my interior to get a factory left for dead bolt out of my heater box.

I have no way of telling if my console LF antenna is present and connected.

Always something....

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Excellent write up!

I have a question: Since the RFH continually scans all of the LF antenna units, would the RFH know if one of its antennas were misding or not connected and store an error code?

You and I spoke on another thread about LEDs causing key fob interference. I am encountering the "key fob not detected error", which makes me wonder if the antenna in my console is missing or not connected. The dealer replaced the original console as they damaged it after completely disassembling my interior to get a factory left for dead bolt out of my heater box.

I have no way of telling if my console LF antenna is present and connected.

Always something....
If it does, I am not sure how to find out. Could not find anything on the service manual about this.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I hold it up close to my cheek/ear to extend the range, but you can also use the app to start it from pretty much any distance. There's a much longer delay when using the app, of course.

This works with fobs...use your head and extend your arm in the air and you act like an antennae. Looks weird...but works.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Just curious at what distance you guys are able to start/stop on your key fob with the feature?

I had a loaner till I got my truck and it was a little sporadic. Sometimes, I could start the vehicle almost half away across the parking lot when leaving work. Other times, I basically had to be right up on the truck. Well, I finally got my truck and same things applys to it.

I was walking to the parking lot from the store, and the truck was maybe 1-2 rows over in a Walmart parking lot and couldn't auto start....

I heard there may be some interference, but out of 6 vehicles, this is the worst for distance and it is sporadic. Any tips on trying to tune it?
I learned from my father n law several years back. Don’t laugh, take the key fob and put the non key end up against your lower jaw bone and try it.
Mine is usually limited to about 50-75’ max. I can put the end up against lower jaw bone and it will sometimes triple distance. Let me know if it works for you. Just don’t ask why it works. I have no clue, but it works on all my vehicles

Konrad

Reaction score
Grab your keyfob with your right hand and press it against your forehead. Lift your left hand and right leg and start jumping on your left leg only. Now start waving your left hand in the air. Start rotating counterclockwise while still jumping up and down. Press the unlock/start button multiple times, try to press when you're in the air. Guaranteed to work over very long distances, especially in Walmart parking lots.
If you want to extend the range even further, add rapid eye blinking and loud humming to the procedure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maple

Reaction score
This works best if you video it and upload the link here.
Grab your keyfob with your right hand and press it against your forehead. Lift your left hand and right leg and start jumping on your left leg only. Now start waving your left hand in the air. Start rotating counterclockwise while still jumping up and down. Press the unlock/start button multiple times, try to press when you're in the air. Guaranteed to work over very long distances, especially in Walmart parking lots.
If you want to extend the range even further, add rapid eye blinking and loud humming to the procedure.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this has to be a issue because the range is awful i mean awful...i can literally be behind the tailgate and press more than once to get the tailgate to unlock...HORRIBLE

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I learned from my father n law several years back. Don’t laugh, take the key fob and put the non key end up against your lower jaw bone and try it.
Mine is usually limited to about 50-75’ max. I can put the end up against lower jaw bone and it will sometimes triple distance. Let me know if it works for you. Just don’t ask why it works. I have no clue, but it works on all my vehicles
I remember LMAO when I first heard of this trick years ago then I tried it. Works every time. I use this method to auto-start my vehicle every time I exit a store. Truck is on and running 9 out of 10 times.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I used to own a Lexus LS400 that I could lock unlock from my 7th story office window across street parking lot. Must have been >1000 ft. Amazing range on that FOB, but cars in the late 90s were a lot simpler ;)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used to own a Lexus LS400 that I could lock unlock from my 7th story office window across street parking lot. Must have been >1000 ft. Amazing range on that FOB, but cars in the late 90s were a lot simpler ;)
And probably waaayyy less secure :)

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember LMAO when I first heard of this trick years ago then I tried it. Works every time. I use this method to auto-start my vehicle every time I exit a store. Truck is on and running 9 out of 10 times.
......yes it works but it made most of my hair disappear from doing it too much. I'm sure it was the cause.... :unsure:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

......also is a way to hit on those classy Walmart women shoppers in their pajamas.....drawn to your dance skills like flies to poop.....lol

Users who are viewing this thread