5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob distance

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Just curious at what distance you guys are able to start/stop on your key fob with the feature?

I had a loaner till I got my truck and it was a little sporadic. Sometimes, I could start the vehicle almost half away across the parking lot when leaving work. Other times, I basically had to be right up on the truck. Well, I finally got my truck and same things applys to it.

I was walking to the parking lot from the store, and the truck was maybe 1-2 rows over in a Walmart parking lot and couldn't auto start....

I heard there may be some interference, but out of 6 vehicles, this is the worst for distance and it is sporadic. Any tips on trying to tune it?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I heard if you don’t even own a Ram, you could start it 800 miles away no problems!

Ramlax

Reaction score
I find when the keyfob doesn’t work from a distance, try unlocking or locking it then the remote start works from a far. Strange I know but it works for me

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't use mine often but a couple of times I had to get close to get it to start. Just figured it was the angle I was walking up to it. I don't figure the reception area is a perfect circle.

Last edited:

HotStuff

Reaction score
Mines the same way. Kinda sucks. My Grand Cherokee has an aftermarket system in it and it'll start from 10 times the distance my new ram will, and through walls etc. And it seems that if there's any wall between me and the truck, no way it'll start.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hold it up close to my cheek/ear to extend the range, but you can also use the app to start it from pretty much any distance. There's a much longer delay when using the app, of course.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I can get mine to start 2-300 ft away if no other vehicles are in the way, but in a packed parking lot that usually goes down to 100ft or so.

chevellein

Reaction score
So this morning I went out, started my truck with the key fob in my pocket. Shoveled the driveway, went inside and switch to a dress coat and headed off to drop off my daughter at school. I realized that my fob was in my other jacket. And there sat my truck in the loading unloading zone at school. The truck will warn you when you leave with the fob, but not when you get back in without one. It's a bummer! And when I use it, it'll work a good 300 ft away.

grinch72

Reaction score
Mine is great. I use it in my building from over 100ft away. Through walls, etc. it always works. I double click the start as I leave my desk and its running when I get outside. Not sure why but the distance is nuts.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hold it up close to my cheek/ear to extend the range, but you can also use the app to start it from pretty much any distance. There's a much longer delay when using the app, of course.
Yeah I’ve always heard holding the fob up higher around your head and it works better. It does. Figured it was just using my strong brain waves:LOL: to help. I noticed if I push the lock button as some have mentioned then start it works better. I have had a couple vehicles that work better when pushing the lock first. Mine does work from a far distance when doing this.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Everyone's experience will be different. RF is very peculiar on how it behaves. There are many variables, specially obstacles and interference from other sources, With clear line of sight, I can easily get 200-300 ft or more.

For the nerds...

There are five Low Frequency (LF) antennas located on these vehicles. These LF antennas allow the key fob within the RFH (Radio Frequency Hub) to communicate with a key fob that is located inside the vehicle or, at most, about 1.5 meters (5 feet) from the door handle touch point.

The LF antennas are located:

1. rear left door
2. rear right door
3. rear cab back
4. center console
5. rear bed/bumper

The RFH uses communication through the LF antennas to wake up and challenge a key fob that is within range in order to authenticate whether that key fob is valid (programmed) to the vehicle.

The RFH communication with the key fob is on a 125 kilohertz using Amplitude-Shift Keying (ASK).

Each antenna unit has two dedicated connections to the RFH. One connection is the LF antenna output circuit, while the other connection Is the LF antenna return circuit. These circuits to each antenna unit are a twisted pair to help reduce the potential for induced electrical interference. The RFH continuously monitors all of the LF antenna units and will store a DTC for any fault that it detects.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone's experience will be different. RF is very peculiar on how it behaves. There are many variables, specially obstacles and interference from other sources, With clear line of sight, I can easily get 200-300 ft or more.

For the nerds...

There are five Low Frequency (LF) antennas located on these vehicles. These LF antennas allow the key fob within the RFH (Radio Frequency Hub) to communicate with a key fob that is located inside the vehicle or, at most, about 1.5 meters (5 feet) from the door handle touch point.

The LF antennas are located:

1. rear left door
2. rear right door
3. rear cab back
4. center console
5. rear bed/bumper

The RFH uses communication through the LF antennas to wake up and challenge a key fob that is within range in order to authenticate whether that key fob is valid (programmed) to the vehicle.

The RFH communication with the key fob is on a 125 kilohertz using Amplitude-Shift Keying (ASK).

Each antenna unit has two dedicated connections to the RFH. One connection is the LF antenna output circuit, while the other connection Is the LF antenna return circuit. These circuits to each antenna unit are a twisted pair to help reduce the potential for induced electrical interference. The RFH continuously monitors all of the LF antenna units and will store a DTC for any fault that it detects.

Great info! Do you happen to have the same for the higher frequency long-range key fob operation (remote start, etc.)?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only downside is the ram horn that begins to grow from your head from the radio waves. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Great info! Do you happen to have the same for the higher frequency long-range key fob operation (remote start, etc.)?
Frequency is the same, as it utilizes the key fob for operation.
Only difference is a dedicated, remote start antenna mounted inside the roof (under the headliner), for maximum range of 91m (300ft), whereas the range for locking/unlocking doors is rated at 20m (66ft).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Edwards,
Here you go:

Attachments

• 08 - Electrical:8N - Power Systems:Power Locks:Description DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION.pdf
    580.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 08 - Electrical:8F - Engine Systems:Starting:Description REMOTE START SYSTEM.pdf
    427.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 08 - Electrical:8E - Electronic Control Modules:MODULE, Radio Frequency (RF Hub):Description ...pdf
    163 KB · Views: 46

Sinister04L

Reaction score
The range on my fob is terrible. Multiple times I've tried to start my truck from inside my house and it failed. On my previous F150 it had outstanding range and never failed to start. Pretty frustrating.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long the app is free? Is it the same as the Sirius, as in 1 year? Thanks all. I have a huge lot at work and I'd like to not worry about finding a close space as I dont wanna park near anyone Haha. So the app is going to be my go to.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The range on my fob is terrible. Multiple times I've tried to start my truck from inside my house and it failed. On my previous F150 it had outstanding range and never failed to start. Pretty frustrating.
Next time try "unlock" then "lock" then the double "remote start" just to see if it makes any difference. Seems like I did something similar to get "trucks attention" in past....... lol (....like talking to a teenager) :giggle:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long the app is free? Is it the same as the Sirius, as in 1 year? Thanks all. I have a huge lot at work and I'd like to not worry about finding a close space as I dont wanna park near anyone Haha. So the app is going to be my go to.
1 year for music service. 5 years for XMGuardian (remote lock/unlock/start/send to truck).

Maple

Reaction score
1 year for music service. 5 years for XMGuardian (remote lock/unlock/start/send to truck).
Mine is 5 years for traffic/nav data, but only one year for the actual Guardian service (and one year for music).

Users who are viewing this thread