5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping TazerDT connected for service?

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
Taking my truck in for an oil change today. Anyone leaver their Tazer hooked up for basic dealer maintenance? Any issues with doing so? The only thing I’ve used it for is speedometer adjustment for my 35”s and to enable the auto folding mirrors.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Great question. I would like to know the answer also.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Typically - most dealers scan the truck for CEL's when they check it in. Not sure if the missing security module (because this is where the Tazer plugs in) shows up in the vehicle report.

While it "shouldn't" void a warranty, since it seems FCA looks for ANY EXCUSE TO DO SO - I always remove my Tazer and Pedal Commander when it's going in.

Personally - I would REMOVE ANY POSSIBILITY of them making a note of an "unauthorized addon". Could save headaches later.

They always ask me how I got my mirrors to autofold - I just shrug...

Rick

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Typically - most dealers scan the truck for CEL's when they check it in. Not sure if the missing security module (because this is where the Tazer plugs in) shows up in the vehicle report.

While it "shouldn't" void a warranty, since it seems FCA looks for ANY EXCUSE TO DO SO - I always remove my Tazer and Pedal Commander when it's going in.

Personally - I would REMOVE ANY POSSIBILITY of them making a note of an "unauthorized addon". Could save headaches later.

They always ask me how I got my mirrors to autofold - I just shrug...

Rick
Haha...I have a real problem with the term "unauthorized add-on" when it's applied to anything I own. As far as I'm concerned, as the owner, I'm the only one who can truly authorize any add-on.

But I get what you're saying. I remove the pedal controller when my truck goes in for any kind of service or recall fix. I'm not going to give them anything that can possibly work against me in the future.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Haha...I have a real problem with the term "unauthorized add-on" when it's applied to anything I own. As far as I'm concerned, as the owner, I'm the only one who can truly authorize any add-on.

But I get what you're saying. I remove the pedal controller when my truck goes in for any kind of service or recall fix. I'm not going to give them anything that can possibly work against me in the future.
They will do anything they can to deny a warranty claim. ANYTHING you plug into a harness could (conceivably) screw up a computer in the truck. At least we don't have to CUT WIRES to put these things in. I go (went) through this kind of crap with harley - until I got the connectors and parts, and started adding "pigtail sub-harnesses" for my addons, that could be removed without a trace (versus splicing or cutting). Also made things easier to troubleshoot by removing my addons, leaving a "virgin" electrical system.

I get it though - my truck - my choice. But I also see how us "frigging in the rigging" could potentially screw something else up down the line - and give THEM cause to deny coverage on a repair due to stuff we modify.

Rick

doolin64

Reaction score
Those who remove the Tazer, are you just unplugging it and plugging back into the BCM, or are you also unmarrying it?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those who remove the Tazer, are you just unplugging it and plugging back into the BCM, or are you also unmarrying it?

Unmarry returns all to stock
Remove takes away the options that require the tazer but keeps the ones that don’t.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
I ended up just unplugging it. I didn’t do an unmarry. I’ll plug it back in later when I pick it up from the dealer.

doolin64

Reaction score
Well that's a bummer. I really just want this for tire size and too allow entering an address in motion. Way too many times we leaves for a kids sports event and want to add the address while driving (my wife from the passenger seat). I was hoping that was a function that did not need to be always plugged in.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That and folding mirrors is why I mostly wanted it. I’ve turned off the auto fold mirrors for the winter, seems like they get a lot of snow/ice and I’ve had some issues with them moving smoothly. I’ll turn back on in April. I believe both needs to stay plugged in

Alphaodb maybe could allow for it ??

RSConsulting

Reaction score
IMG_6805.jpg

Truck in shop for leather dash replacement - probably should have taken the Tazer OUT for this one - hard NOT TO NOT SEE IT. LOL

But I'm trading it as soon as my new Yukon Denali XL comes in - so, whatever...

Rick

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
That and folding mirrors is why I mostly wanted it. I’ve turned off the auto fold mirrors for the winter, seems like they get a lot of snow/ice and I’ve had some issues with them moving smoothly. I’ll turn back on in April. I believe both needs to stay plugged in

Alphaodb maybe could allow for it ??

Unfortunately Alpha can’t enable the auto folding mirrors.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most all dealers will scan the trucks OBD. I believe that requires the Tazer to be removed, but not 100% positive. You never have to unmarry unless you sell it or move it too another RAM. Just unplugging it and then reconnecting it after service is just fine.

Gitter

Reaction score
Is there a list that of options that require the tazer and a list that do not?
Anything listed as a"live" feature requires the Tazer to be installed to work.

The items that are not under the live features will work without it installed (such as changing the tire size or fog lights with high beams).

Users who are viewing this thread