5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep on off road 2 after 45mph?

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Still has 5 but if you try to lift from OR, the fifth light will blink and the dash will say "not permitted" then the fifth light will go out. Exact same behavior as when you try to lower from Entry/Exit. They use the exact same dash parts, it's just a computer program change reassigning the levels from 5 to 4 with new heights.
I wonder if after some time, an aftermarket company will make a programmer available that allows the user to reassign things like this?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still has 5 but if you try to lift from OR, the fifth light will blink and the dash will say "not permitted" then the fifth light will go out. Exact same behavior as when you try to lower from Entry/Exit. They use the exact same dash parts, it's just a computer program change reassigning the levels from 5 to 4 with new heights.
I had to double-check this (@Edwards is right)...the ONLY time I see the five lights is at startup, when the truck does a system check. When I'm in Off Road mode and attempt to raise it, I see the message about it not being available (but the light doesn't even flash for me...the system just immediately knows that it's not available).

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I had to double-check this (@Edwards is right)...the ONLY time I see the five lights is at startup, when the truck does a system check. When I'm in Off Road mode and attempt to raise it, I see the message about it not being available (but the light doesn't even flash for me...the system just immediately knows that it's not available).
A wealth of information! Thanks. Too bad dealers don't know this stuff.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also did a lot of measuring on a Limited with OR. I'm not too pleased with my results because I wanted to fit into a 6'8" garage at the airport.

Measured from top of running board in the middle (between the doors):
E/E 8.25"
Aero 10.75"
Normal 11.25"
OR 12.25"

Top of shark fin antenna:
E/E 6' 5.5"
Aero 6' 8" (calculated)
Normal 6' 8.5" (calculated)
OR 6' 9.5" (calculated)

Now I'd be a happy camper if I could just delete the rule that E/E mode is automatically cancelled at 16 MPH. I confess, I don't think I can keep it under 16 in the garage - it is Houston after all.
That leaves me with Aero that is exactly the height listed on the garage. Guess I'm off to sweet talk the dealer into looking into the reprogram to remove "Increased Ride Height" from my computer and see if I can get back to the non-OR settings.
Honestly, I really like the Entry/Exit height. Guess I'm old school because I don't see the need to be the highest on the road. Wish I could drive around that high.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I also did a lot of measuring on a Limited with OR. I'm not too pleased with my results because I wanted to fit into a 6'8" garage at the airport.

Measured from top of running board in the middle (between the doors):
E/E 8.25"
Aero 10.75"
Normal 11.25"
OR 12.25"

Top of shark fin antenna:
E/E 6' 5.5"
Aero 6' 8" (calculated)
Normal 6' 8.5" (calculated)
OR 6' 9.5" (calculated)

Now I'd be a happy camper if I could just delete the rule that E/E mode is automatically cancelled at 16 MPH. I confess, I don't think I can keep it under 16 in the garage - it is Houston after all.
That leaves me with Aero that is exactly the height listed on the garage. Guess I'm off to sweet talk the dealer into looking into the reprogram to remove "Increased Ride Height" from my computer and see if I can get back to the non-OR settings.
Honestly, I really like the Entry/Exit height. Guess I'm old school because I don't see the need to be the highest on the road. Wish I could drive around that high.
Keep us posted. I'd be interested in finding out if the dealer is willing to reprogram to remove the extra height.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score

Attachments

• 9A2908A9-752D-4893-A38B-C1F9005CBB8C.jpeg
    9A2908A9-752D-4893-A38B-C1F9005CBB8C.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 5A4321B2-37A9-4735-8779-F396B946E21B.jpeg
    5A4321B2-37A9-4735-8779-F396B946E21B.jpeg
    970.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2225141A-AA46-4B71-9226-6F654A75D71D.jpeg
    2225141A-AA46-4B71-9226-6F654A75D71D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
I don’t know. I know I have 5 heights

Looking at the window sticker, you don't have the additional Off Road Package (ORP/ORG), which would explain why yours has the 5 selections vs 4. The Rebel and Off Road has the E/E, Aero, Norm, OR. The Normal Air Suspension(w/o ORG/ORP) has 5 selections like you are showing, E/E, Aero, Norm, OR1, OR2.

Plus the Off Road Package includes an ugly (in my opinion) 4x4 Off Road Sticker on the side of the bed near the taillights

Last edited:

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Looking at the window sticker, you don't have the additional Off Road Package (ORP/ORG), which would explain why yours has the 5 selections vs 4. The Rebel and Off Road has the E/E, Aero, Norm, OR. The Normal Air Suspension(w/o ORG/ORP) has 5 selections like you are showing, E/E, Aero, Norm, OR1, OR2.

Plus the Off Road Package includes and ugly (in my opinion) 4x4 Off Road Sticker on the side of the bed near the taillights
Oh. Thanks for let me know what I’m driving and what I bought. The sales guy just said to me, it’s 1000$ A month and here’s the key

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
That's about what the first dealer tried to do to me. 1st truck arrived no rambox and with the 3.21 rear end. They tried to play the smoke and mirror game and tell me it still can tow what I need. Welp good thing I told them that I don't think so and get me what I wanted. Cause come to find out the tow rating for the 3.21 and 3.92 is significant.

I feel that the dealers got blindsided by this truck and options and are trying to figure it out w/o any formal training.

You can see it because how the window stickers and cautions change, perfect example are the tow mirrors.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Hey if all it takes to get a 1000 from you a month, I got a set of keys!!!!
Jajajaja I think I made a deal it’s a 72 months but I trade in mine and my payoff was 37000$, kbb said my 17 was between 25k and 29k for trade in. On the end I’m paying 280$ more than what I was paying for the 17 Laramie, but I’m paying now 100$ for insurance instead of 210$ and I also save on my commercial truck policie about 180$ a month so I’m even with a truck 2 years newer and the highest trim possible.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Jajajaja I think I made a deal it’s a 72 months but I trade in mine and my payoff was 37000$, kbb said my 17 was between 25k and 29k for trade in. On the end I’m paying 280$ more than what I was paying for the 17 Laramie, but I’m paying now 100$ for insurance instead of 210$ and I also save on my commercial truck policie about 180$ a month so I’m even with a truck 2 years newer and the highest trim possible.
But a HK audio that sucks

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Nice, Yea I haven't had a truck payment for a little while, but we needed a bigger truck and I was going to be gone for 3 months so we decided to snag a bigger truck. Had a 13 Dbl Cab Tundra. Just couldn't justify getting the same truck, with the same gadgets for 55k from my older 13, so came over to the Ram. Hopefully the Pioneer subwoofer swap will help. I saw a guy was doing the swap in the near future. But the next would be the amp solution but I don't think that will help. 900 watts for that many speakers equals 40 watts each, and something tells me the rating on the 900 amp is Like that 1500 amp mono block for $55 at wal mart lol

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Nice, Yea I haven't had a truck payment for a little while, but we needed a bigger truck and I was going to be gone for 3 months so we decided to snag a bigger truck. Had a 13 Dbl Cab Tundra. Just couldn't justify getting the same truck, with the same gadgets for 55k from my older 13, so came over to the Ram. Hopefully the Pioneer subwoofer swap will help. I saw a guy was doing the swap in the near future. But the next would be the amp solution but I don't think that will help. 900 watts for that many speakers equals 40 watts each, and something tells me the rating on the 900 amp is Like that 1500 amp mono block for $55 at wal mart lol
Jajajaja well just take a look under driver seat, that’s the amplifier, with anc and all types of gadgets needed for sound in the truck, there’s no possible way that’s a 900watts, doesn’t look like and doesn’t sounds like.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
This company makes one for 4th gen that has air suspension access.

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/
That's awesome. I'm definitely going to check it out. It could be the answer to many of our prayers!

I guess, at least wait and hope they come out for a unit that will be compatible with the 5th gen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread