5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kayak transport

Kidder

Reaction score
I didn't have an issue hauling my 12' kayak in my 2500 with 8' bed. But with the very short bed, I'm not sure if I should go with a roof rack, or headache rack and hitch rack or tower racks. My wife wants to join me this year so I'm going to get her a kayak, too.

So, suggestions would be good and pics even better.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you just want to buy something and be done, this is a good solution https://boonedoxusa.com/products/t-bone-bed-extender

If you want to make something on your own, a little cheaper but much better IMO, then look into getting a hitch extender like this one from Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html and then customize it with "J" racks.

My friends and I had Hobies, not cheap as you probably know so I built my own solution to solidly hold them in place for 100+ mile trips when I had my 4th gen. It's just J's mounted to the hitch extender, added some foam padding and then inside the truck were some J's with padding mounted to a 2x6. The 2x6 does not need to attach to the truck, it just sits in place and straps hold it all together. You could literally shake the truck back and fourth pushing the kayaks, it was solid! I have since sold the Hobie and went to the dark side ;) and bought a boat.

kayakrack.jpg

The rack with 2 of them. My buddy drove that day and this was one of the big benefits of this system if you will, it can attach to any truck and then be stored in a shed or garage.
rack2.jpg

Obviously there are other solutions. I thought about the TracRac, the Thule Kayak rack, etc. I personally did not want something permanently mounted to my truck in an overhead rack although I do have a friend who has the TracRac and it worked out nicely when 3 of us would go.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A very cheap and effective way to carry your kayaks, mount them to a utility trailer (if you already have the trailer that is). I went out and bought two steal solid poles for about $20 each, layed them across my trailer width wise, then clamped them down to the rails of the trailer. Then the standard J Racks just mount to the two poles.

timtlu

Reaction score
I didn't have an issue hauling my 12' kayak in my 2500 with 8' bed. But with the very short bed, I'm not sure if I should go with a roof rack, or headache rack and hitch rack or tower racks. My wife wants to join me this year so I'm going to get her a kayak, too.

I've got two 13.5' tandem kayaks that I haul. Just got my metric carriage bolts in to complete this set up (local stores didn't carry them long enough to span the bed extender). This will allow me to use the turning knobs that came with the j hooks. In the meantime I subbed a 5/16 carraige bolts (close enough) with wingnuts. Only thing I used not listed, is some leftover adhesive foam from the hard tonneau cover on the insides of the j-hook brakets. The channel is not wide enough to span the bed extender, but actually works better tilted towards the cab of the bed so that the j-hook conforms better to the contour of the kayak (much further towards end than would typically mount). Other than that the complete list of parts I used is:

One all-new 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie ($42,000)

One set of OxGord j-hooks ($34.95)

One HaulMaster truck bed extender ($48.00)

One pack of M8 x 110 mm carriage bolts ($13.28)

20190706_195756-jpg.30068

20190706_195803-jpg.30069

All said and done, it cost $42,109.28.

If you already have the truck, you can knock that down to $109.28. :)

I leave the j-hooks permanently attached to the bed extender, and keep everything under tonneau cover when not in use. I lay the L portion of the bed extender across the width of the truck bed and it acts as an de facto bed divider, as it does not slide on the Bedrug. Easily the most gratifying mod I've done to my truck.

I'll take updated pictures with the new hardware and close-ups this weekend when we take them out to the river.

Attachments

• 1563381142511.png
    1563381142511.png
    966.1 KB · Views: 90

timtlu

Reaction score
Replaced the hardware with the metric carriage bolts and original knobs that came with the j hooks. Really made everything easier to get cinched tight. The angle on the bed extender aligns to the contour of the kayaks.

Scotsmangav

Reaction score
I use a Yakima setup for my Kayaks. It works great and it’s very adjustable for ladders, cargo, racks or even a tent.
[/

I’ve got the Yakima Overhaul HD also - don’t have pics with the kayak up top yet. 31095

timtlu

Reaction score
Got out to the river this evening with the wife and kids. Here's some close ups of the setup with one j hook per kayak.

Wide angle
Fore of kayak against cab
20190718_144455-jpg.31200

Fore of kayak supported by truck bed surface

Fore of kayak held tight to cab through scupper holes. (All straps used were included with j hooks)

Top surface of kayak pulled tight to wheel wells with life vests threaded through tie down

Aft of kayak secured to j hook.

20190718_144420-jpg.31215

Wash, rinse, repeat on the opposite side.

Attachments

• 20190718_144455.jpg
    20190718_144455.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 817
  • 20190718_144420.jpg
    20190718_144420.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:

RamConvert82

Reaction score

I realize you asked this question long ago now and may have already made a decision, but figured I'd jump in. I carry my 14.5' kayak and my wife's paddle board on the roof along with a 6" pvc for rods and such. I didn't want to give up my bed or the use of my hard folding tonneau cover. I also have a bike rack in my hitch (not pictured since I was still loading when I took these). I did a lot of research to find a sturdy setup that met those wishes and settled on the Adarac Aluminum Pro Series. I love it and the whole thing comes off the truck in 15 minutes or so. You could leave the side rails on if you felt like it for even less work. The cross bars are wide enough that I could easily fit more kayaks if I expand my fleet in the future as my son grows up. Installation is also easy enough to throw it on if I'm making a run for some long lumber, etc.

8hr drive with no issues at all. Bed full with other gear, and I like that my truck isn't significantly longer than normal for parking and such. The quality of the rack was impressive and the side rails leave options for other accessories/lower cross bars in the future. In all this is a quality platform that is great for what I need and has many possibilities for future mods.

For the paddle holders, I made the side cross pieces out of electric track light rails when I realized my paddles wouldn't span the bars. Worked for a short-notice addition for cheap $.
041db74ae757a7daac60b417b0df7b36.jpg
ba1d49571779c10fa4a0a6a34d3d9e22.jpg
e6a746a5573e422a82530710f86cdec8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

techy11

Reaction score
Same setup mounted on Retrax Pro track with their sliding hard cover. Easily removable and locks to track
c098346814d48473c37760fc1bc683e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

timtlu

Reaction score
Do you guys know how heavy the aluminum pro is? Can't find the sieve anywhere online. Looking at a way to transport 2 tandem kayaks with a travel trailer in tow and trying to calculate payload.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The T-bone always works great for mine and the wife's kayak. I even had four kayaks on there at one time, just had to put them on their side to fit.
(Thats my 4th gen in the picture).
IMG_4234.JPG

Last edited:

RamConvert82

Reaction score
Do you guys know how heavy the aluminum pro is? Can't find the sieve anywhere online. Looking at a way to transport 2 tandem kayaks with a travel trailer in tow and trying to calculate payload.
Hmmm, it's not super heavy by comparison to what you put on it. I'd have to guess maybe 30lbs max. The rails that mount to your bed are probably only a few pounds each. Each bar assembly is beefy but it's still aluminum. Though I've never weighed it. You've got me curious but I don't have a scale.

You might call Adarac and ask directly. They were helpful when I called with a specific question.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JoblessJoe

Reaction score
I use a Yakima setup for my Kayaks. It works great and it’s very adjustable for ladders, cargo, racks or even a tent.
Does it use the rails from your tonneau? I have a tonneau without rails and looking for a solution without junking it.

JoblessJoe

Reaction score
Also, if anybody had any solutions, I’m looking to haul two 10 foot kayaks with my travel trailer, while being able to use my tonneau without rails. I’m trying to avoid roof racks just because of the height and the price but might end up blighting the bullet. I’ve ordered the Dee Zee Bed cargo rails (pictured) that have a bracket that supposedly goes under most tonneaus, but non of the websites in mailed replied back and told me of that price includes two rail setups or one. Still waiting to ship, I have a feeling either the quality or the quantity will be off given the price but who knows.

Attachments

• F208ACA4-A32F-4175-9BB0-1DC78631C4CF.png
    F208ACA4-A32F-4175-9BB0-1DC78631C4CF.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 87

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it use the rails from your tonneau? I have a tonneau without rails and looking for a solution without junking it.

The Yakima setup posted by a few people in this thread does not use anything from a tonneau cover. It works best without one, and actually only works with 1 or 2 tonneau covers (retrax is the main one I believe). So the Yakima cannot be used with most tonneau covers installed.

It's also very pricey once you purchase the main parts + the additional top bars (which are additional accessories not included but still required). It is however very strong, very adjustable, and looks great too.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
20200527_111245~2.jpg 20190929_160643.jpg
10 foot kayaks and towing travel trailer at its easiest.

The top pic is without the bed cover. The bottom pic is with bed cover and tool box. Bikes and wood underneath.

I know it doesn't help the conversation...but this is why I can not see myself owning a shortbed again...unless I decide I just have to have a Powerwagon.

Sd card isnt working so I can not find the pics actually hooked to the camper.

Users who are viewing this thread