5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kahu - Dealer Installed GPS Tracking - Removal!

BugGuy

Reaction score
I might do that. Instead of showing up in person, maybe I'll mail it to them and ask for a refund.

Glad you got a refund for your warranty. I didn't buy an extended warranty. I've never thought they were worth it.
I agree that I don't think they're worth it. This one was for road hazard on tires, windshield repair and key fob replacement. I was going to say no until it seemed like it was going to be $5 a month. Figure it was worth that. After I got home and looked at things and calculated what the payment would have been, I mailed a letter. lol You should be able to research the company and find their refund policy on subscriptions.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I started this morning by calling Kahu, and they weren’t willing to have any discussion regarding return or refund of any kind. Clearly they are in the business of servicing the dealer, not the end customer.

I contacted my dealer and described the situation. Overall, this dealer experience had been great thus far and I mentioned this would certainly affect my dealer survey. While I wasn’t able to obtain any refund, they did offer me a service package good they any Ram dealer until 36k mi, free of charge. Overall satisfied with the outcome and their customer service, but still a bit miffed at the install technique. Glad I found it when I did, and hope to not have any corrosion issues down the road.

Zooram

Reaction score
Well, I started this morning by calling Kahu, and they weren’t willing to have any discussion regarding return or refund of any kind. Clearly they are in the business of servicing the dealer, not the end customer.

I contacted my dealer and described the situation. Overall, this dealer experience had been great thus far and I mentioned this would certainly affect my dealer survey. While I wasn’t able to obtain any refund, they did offer me a service package good they any Ram dealer until 36k mi, free of charge. Overall satisfied with the outcome and their customer service, but still a bit miffed at the install technique. Glad I found it when I did, and hope to not have any corrosion issues down the road.

Well, I may leave a review on the Kahu website or on the website of a vendor that sells it. I'd write something about how invasive the EULA is...or at least to me. I dont want my data out there and I certainly don't want anyone to precisely locate me.

Good work on the service package. I emailed my car dealership's owner but the store manager called me. I have no desire to talk to him since I dont believe anything he says. He was really deceptive, if not outright lying during my negotiation. He made a deal, then couldn't keep it, then went back on a promise, tried to tell me my trade needed a transmission when it didnt. Anyway, I'm done dealing with him. I don't care at this point...Kahu is removed.

I will change my own oil and do any maintenance not covered under warranty. If I need warranty work, I'm going to another dealer.

Zooram

Reaction score
I agree that I don't think they're worth it. This one was for road hazard on tires, windshield repair and key fob replacement. I was going to say no until it seemed like it was going to be $5 a month. Figure it was worth that. After I got home and looked at things and calculated what the payment would have been, I mailed a letter. lol You should be able to research the company and find their refund policy on subscriptions.

Yes, they aren't very forthcoming with the details at the dealership. They use dealership math...not regular math!

To me, extended warranties usually aren't worth it whether they are on cars, TVs, whatever. These trucks should last 100,000, if not 150k or 200k miles with no major issues. Look how many 3rd gen Rams with the Hemi are for sale with 150k+ miles. Granted, with that many miles, I'd start worrying about the steering and suspension components being well worn.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, they aren't very forthcoming with the details at the dealership. They use dealership math...not regular math!

To me, extended warranties usually aren't worth it whether they are on cars, TVs, whatever. These trucks should last 100,000, if not 150k or 200k miles with no major issues. Look how many 3rd gen Rams with the Hemi are for sale with 150k+ miles. Granted, with that many miles, I'd start worrying about the steering and suspension components being well worn.
I am very similar to you and pass on warranties. I took the Mopar lifetime, available at this time for the Ram, however. New model with a lot things out of my control and dealer associated parts. My experience as a long term owner is the AC. The new Ram has the new refrigerant which is $$$. While shopping for the Ram I had the saleswomen tell me it was going to be $4,000 to fix the AC on a 4 year old Ram, that guy traded it in. I survived several summers with a charge but eventually the system needs to be replaced.

Zooram

Reaction score
I am very similar to you and pass on warranties. I took the Mopar lifetime, available at this time for the Ram, however. New model with a lot things out of my control and dealer associated parts. My experience as a long term owner is the AC. The new Ram has the new refrigerant which is $$$. While shopping for the Ram I had the saleswomen tell me it was going to be $4,000 to fix the AC on a 4 year old Ram, that guy traded it in. I survived several summers with a charge but eventually the system needs to be replaced.

Wow...had no idea they changed refrigerants! I understand why you got an extended warranty then. Hopefully the truck doesn't have any AC issues or if it does, prices will come down.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow...had no idea they changed refrigerants! I understand why you got an extended warranty then. Hopefully the truck doesn't have any AC issues or if it does, prices will come down.
YF’s price is significantly higher than what you are used to with a R-134a cylinder. A typical thirty pound cylinder of 134a would be around one-hundred and twenty dollars. If we divide that up that’s about four dollars a pound. Conversely, the cost of a ten pound cylinder of 1234yf is around seven-hundred dollars. Let’s divide that up as well. After the math we get seventy dollars a pound. That is a sixteen-hundred and fifty percent increase in cost. There are going to be a lot of shocked people when this refrigerant begins to get popular.

When I bought my Ford Explorer (1994) I would not buy it till it was built with the new 134A, maybe I should have bought my Ram while it was still built with 134A. Funny world we live in.

Oh yeah almost forgot it's flammable. Read the article "it's how you look at it".

Last edited:

Zooram

Reaction score
YF’s price is significantly higher than what you are used to with a R-134a cylinder. A typical thirty pound cylinder of 134a would be around one-hundred and twenty dollars. If we divide that up that’s about four dollars a pound. Conversely, the cost of a ten pound cylinder of 1234yf is around seven-hundred dollars. Let’s divide that up as well. After the math we get seventy dollars a pound. That is a sixteen-hundred and fifty percent increase in cost. There are going to be a lot of shocked people when this refrigerant begins to get popular.

When I bought my Ford Explorer (1994) I would not buy it till it was built with the new 134A, maybe I should have bought my Ram while it was sill built with 134A. Funny world we live in.

Oh yeah almost forgot it's flammable. Read the article "it's how you look at it".

Wow. That's a big increase in price. Hopefully with time it will come down. I think $70 a pound is just for the refrigerant. To get your truck serviced, it would likely be more since apparently a technician needs another certification to work with it.

Zooram

Reaction score
The dealer fixed the harness this morning for free. They soldered and shrink wrapped the wire.

Except the tech left a broken strand hanging out of the shrink wrap. So I had to tape over their repair. I barely had to touch the probe from the multimeter to see voltage.

I should have fixed it myself.

Avoid Fair Oaks CJDR in Virginia or any dealer that forces Kahu or a GPS tracker install. 20200306_081259.jpg Screenshot_20200306-082107_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread