5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kahu - Dealer Installed GPS Tracking - Removal!

Zooram

Reaction score
I ended up paying $399 for Kahu...a GPS tracker installed by the dealer. It was marketed as a location device in the event of a theft. Or to find your vehicle. The EULA was pretty long. What I got out of it was that they can sell your driving location info (who knows how much data a GPS can provide - speed, mileage, location, etc) to whoever wants it.

They also have an app the dealer can access, that I believe let's the dealer push service reminders to your app based on your driving habits.

I asked four times to have it removed to four people at the dealer. I got ignored, ignored again, told no, and told I'd have to buy the truck with the $399 Kahu and then PAY the dealer to remove it. I feel like this is some crazy scheme...

The finance guy told me they install them in a hidden and random location and that I wouldn't be able to find it. It took two minutes...haha! And I promptly ripped it out. No solder or connectors; a simple insulation removal and twist of the Kahu power wire around a powered wire under the dash. Pics attached.

Glad its removed! 20200227_170723.jpg 20200227_170551.jpg 20200227_170443.jpg

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can say that many of us here probably would've gone elsewhere. I wouldn't want a brand new truck that's already had the wiring hacked up for this stupid and ridiculous tracking device.
Exposed wires like that, unless sealed correctly it's just asking for corrosion and connection problems at some point in the future

I also hope they didn't cut any of the strands when they cut the insulation off with a utility knife as that will affect the ampacity of the wire. I hope to poor smuck who installed that cut his finger open in the process

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Keezer

Reaction score
In my case it was the 'Karr' alarm system. Wanted 900.00 for a pos system you can get used on ebay for 50 bucks or so. Had to say no a few times and with the truck arriving at the dealer the day before never paid much thought to the system after saying no.

Needless to say I ended up searching high and low for the box and so far have found nothing. Not under or behind the fuse block panel below the steering wheel, engine bay, under seats, bottom of truck. At this point looks like I lucked out as I dont think they would spend a bunch of time hiding it. I'll keep looking though till I can get someone (GM maybe) at the dealership to confirm it was never installed.

Crappy way to try and make a buck.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there any way to get that money back on the subscription service?

Zooram

Reaction score
I can say that many of us here probably would've gone elsewhere. I wouldn't want a brand new truck that's already had the wiring hacked up for this stupid and ridiculous tracking device.
Exposed wires like that, unless sealed correctly it's just asking for corrosion and connection problems at some point in the future

I also hope they didn't cut any of the strands when they cut the insulation off with a utility knife as that will affect the ampacity of the wire. I hope to poor smuck who installed that cut his finger open in the process

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I didn't know this dealer did it until after we had the first offer I hand. I wanted to go elsewhere for a multitude of reasons, but in the end, I got a really good deal. Mostly on my trade in value.

They did a poor job. I taped it back up pretty well. I am tempted to bring it back to them so they can replace the wire...ha!

Zooram

Reaction score
1) That is a REALLY shoddy install job they did.

2) Did you not read the EULA before signing the contract?

1. Completely agree! Sad to see a dealer install something so badly.

2. No, since they give you a one page piece of paper with the website and the link to the EULA. I had the deal I wanted that negated the $399 charge. I knew I was ripping this thing out. I brought the truck home five days ago.

Last edited:

Zooram

Reaction score
In my case it was the 'Karr' alarm system. Wanted 900.00 for a pos system you can get used on ebay for 50 bucks or so. Had to say no a few times and with the truck arriving at the dealer the day before never paid much thought to the system after saying no.

Needless to say I ended up searching high and low for the box and so far have found nothing. Not under or behind the fuse block panel below the steering wheel, engine bay, under seats, bottom of truck. At this point looks like I lucked out as I dont think they would spend a bunch of time hiding it. I'll keep looking though till I can get someone (GM maybe) at the dealership to confirm it was never installed.

Crappy way to try and make a buck.

Some of these units are very small. And some can be hidden well. The wiring on them usually gives them away as the wiring doesn't look factory.

Did you check under the kick panels? That's where mine was. Driver's side.

And agree...they dealer uses your data to sell you more service. So you pay for them to sell you more!

Zooram

Reaction score
Is there any way to get that money back on the subscription service?

Probably not. I signed the contract. But I got a really good deal, so I didn't bother arguing. I will not be going to that dealer for service though.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably not. I signed the contract. But I got a really good deal, so I didn't bother arguing. I will not be going to that dealer for service though.

I’m in the exact same boat. I told them they had to make the cost up in other discounts. In the end, their discount more than compensated for the costs as compared to my other offers. I’ll be ripping mine out as well as long as I can find it.

You can get refunds on some services if you don’t use them. The extended warranties are the same way. I’ll be checking into it.

Zooram

Reaction score
I’m in the exact same boat. I told them they had to make the cost up in other discounts. In the end, their discount more than compensated for the costs as compared to my other offers. I’ll be ripping mine out as well as long as I can find it.

You can get refunds on some services if you don’t use them. The extended warranties are the same way. I’ll be checking into it.

Hmmm...you've got me thinking. I'll look into this as well. If not, maybe I can eBay the unit??

Good luck finding yours!

BugGuy

Reaction score

Yes, depending on the state, and the service, it is sometimes possible to cancel a subscription or warranty. At the finance table I bought an stupid extended warranty. It sounded like it was going to cost me an extra $5 a month. But they were lying about what my payments and rate were going to be, so in reality it was really like $25+ a month. Once I got home and figured it out, I sent the dealership a letter and the $1100 has been refunded.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Super cool to be tearing trim panels off my new truck with less than 500 miles... I’m also super excited they elected to run a self-tapping screw thru the floor panel.

Maybe this will help someone else locate their homing device.
c0cef13df8e161fb68274ba5153a041e.jpg

Keezer

Reaction score
they elected to run a self-tapping screw thru the floor panel.
Ah, bummer, that sucks.

From what I can tell its not on my truck, popped every panel front to back. It rolled in late on the 19th and I was at the dealer at opening on the 20th. Guessing they didn't have the 'Karr' installer available and if I had said I wanted it they would have had me come back for the install.

Zooram

Reaction score
Super cool to be tearing trim panels off my new truck with less than 500 miles... I’m also super excited they elected to run a self-tapping screw thru the floor panel.

Maybe this will help someone else locate their homing device.
c0cef13df8e161fb68274ba5153a041e.jpg

You found it! Same spot as mine. Though the self tapping screw part really sucks. Did you put a dab of silicone or similar in the hole?

Your unit looks exactly like mine...they probably are the same with a different name.

Zooram

Reaction score
Yes, depending on the state, and the service, it is sometimes possible to cancel a subscription or warranty. At the finance table I bought an stupid extended warranty. It sounded like it was going to cost me an extra $5 a month. But they were lying about what my payments and rate were going to be, so in reality it was really like $25+ a month. Once I got home and figured it out, I sent the dealership a letter and the $1100 has been refunded.

I might do that. Instead of showing up in person, maybe I'll mail it to them and ask for a refund.

Glad you got a refund for your warranty. I didn't buy an extended warranty. I've never thought they were worth it.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You found it! Same spot as mine. Though the self tapping screw part really sucks. Did you put a dab of silicone or similar in the hole?

Your unit looks exactly like mine...they probably are the same with a different name.

Thanks. Yes, I put a dab of RTV on both the top and bottom of the hole. I actually found where the screw came out the bottom of the truck, so was able to seal that off as well. I’ll have to keep an eye on it for rust down the road.

I’ve seen this stuff before and learned my lesson. If the device is already installed to the vehicle, just negotiate the fee back off the sale price. I had one dealer remove a similar device before and they completely thrashed the wiring harness. I’m very glad I tore this down to find and correct the install technique.

Last edited:

airgas1998

Reaction score
I didn't know this dealer did it until after we had the first offer I hand. I wanted to go elsewhere for a multitude of reasons, but in the end, I got a really good deal. Mostly on my trade in value.

They did a poor job. I taped it back up pretty well. I am tempted to bring it back to them so they can replace the wire...ha!
no you didn't. They just shifted the money over their to look like you got a great trd in value deal.

Zooram

Reaction score
no you didn't. They just shifted the money over their to look like you got a great trd in value deal.

Yes, correct, but I got thousands more than I expected for my trade in.

I did email the owner of the dealer...I want my wire fixed. And a refund would be nice.

And I still need to fill out my dealer survey.

Zooram

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I put a dab of RTV on both the top and bottom of the hole. I actually found where the screw came out the bottom of the truck, so was able to seal that off as well. I’ll have to keep an eye on it for rust down the road.

I’ve seen this stuff before and learned my lesson. If the device is already installed to the vehicle, just negotiate the fee back off the sale price. I had one dealer remove a similar device before and they completely thrashed the wiring harness. I’m very glad I tore this down to find and correct the install technique.

I can't believe they did that. A screw? Mine was just taped in place.

Did they do a bad job wiring yours in too?

Users who are viewing this thread