5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just received a quote for XPEL & Ceramic Coatings. Is this a good deal? What did you pay?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put down cquartz UK 3.0 myself. Washed, clayed, and a primer of carpro Essence. Quick wipe of Eraser as well before putting down the ceramic. Followed with Reload within 60 minutes. Pardon the windows, I ran out of time to a clean them up, but they are coated with McKees coating. It was dark by the time I finished. But like other good posts above mentioned, you can absolutely do this yourself if you want. I'm just a hobbyist, detailing my cars and family members for fun. 20190105_182120.jpg 20190105_182043.jpg 20190105_182055.jpg

SacRebel

Reaction score
I’m gonna start getting quotes on getting this done to my truck.

Can you still hand wax after the ceramic coating is applied?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m gonna start getting quotes on getting this done to my truck.

Can you still hand wax after the ceramic coating is applied?

I'd check with the manufacturer of your ceramic. For cquartz, you can, which might be particularly useful in areas with hard water spotting, but will attract more dust, and possibly interfere with boosts of reload.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will give you all my 2 cents..for what it is worth.

Ceramic coatings/nano coatings/titanium coatings..have all taken off as of recently.

The premise being the hard coating protection that these coatings give to the exterior of your vehicle. Several things that must be noted.

The PREP work for layering a ceramic clear (regardless of nano technology) is where the labor lies. Much like a paint job the blocking sanding primer body work, welding (if appropriate) and /or rust removal is KEY to a proper paint job not just the paint quality or the paint craftsmanship.

Im a detailer and I think nano coatings and ceramic coatings are the most OVERPRICED out there. There are astronomical claims that these coatings are scratch proof, wont degrade (as in lifetime) or anything like that.
Some are clearly better than others, yes...however, I say the method in which you maintain your car over the months of inclement weather, how you wash it, and how you dry it (this is an overlooked premise, Colorado where I live has some of the most mineralized HARD water ever, if you even as much as let it air dry for a bit, you WILL get hard water spots)...one way to alleviate this is spending on a true water softening system to remove these impurities however that will run you 4500 plus for a good one....is WAY more important than trying to ceramic coat or nano coat any paint.

Think of it that every single little wash and things you do or do not do (use brushes, use crappy soap, use beach towels to dry..etc) is way more important as the damage ADDS up quickly...for the record ceramic clears are scratch RESISTANT ( a lot of them) but definitely NOT scratch proof.

Anyway I digress, where I am going with this is really ascertain WHAT you want to accomplish with the layering and protection to your clear coat. I opt to use Adams Polishes Ceramic coatings, they are affordable, great quality, easy to apply and very DIY friendly. I do professional detailing and DO offer some Modesta or ceramic pro but only because of client preference.

I personally think paying over 700 for any coating is just astronomical.....even the bc titanium coating.....it is superior but just not worth it.

I am a firm believer in every year, stripping, claying and repolishing and reapplying ANY layering and protection, be it ceramic, traditional carnuba, or any other sealer.

I have had great experience with a product called Collinite 845 it is an insulation wax with a touch of carnuba. Easy to apply, it provides great protection on the paint for mag or salt or any other contaminant pretty much. It is an insulation wax that was formulated for high temp protection of painted surfaces around electrical or heat producting sources....and adapted to an automotive and marine application.

If you guys have any questions feel free to hit me up.

Im just saying remember there is HYPE and then there is actual PRACTICALLY to each application....again don't forget that prep (polishing swirl removal and clay constitutes 95% of the whole process to ceramic coating...) it is imperative that the paint be as clean and defect free as possible so you can ensure the best possible

OPTICAL CLARITY!

I am in Colorado, but do mobile work in Texas and New Mexico also.

Take care all!
Happy ceramic coating to all hahahaha
Texas??? What part and when?

wyook24

Reaction score
Got mine done this weekend. CC105 Ceramic. $875 is what i paid. Couldnt be happier with it. I plan on doing the PPF down the road, but id like to do the entire truck and looks like thats gonna run me upwards of $4500. We will see how well this stuff works out! Swirls drive me nuts and i switched from black on my last truck because of them. Hoping this fixed my issue so I can stick with black trucks lol. Still wont be using any pesky car wash brushes, but anyone with a black truck knows how swirls magically appear even if you dont. I will update everyone in a few weeks!

Attachments

• 49946816_10213987576384594_8151093469557817344_o.jpg
    49946816_10213987576384594_8151093469557817344_o.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 117

SacRebel

Reaction score
I paid $1,275 for the Ceramic Pro Silver package, which included paint correction. I also bought a bottle of silicone spray (CarPro Reboot) to apply every few months to keep it in tip-top shape.

04b07011f19d294d8cd7612160c8b370.jpg

ShermanOaks

Reaction score
Was just quoted by Ceramic Pro in Burbank $1950 for gold package, including glass and stage 1 paint correction.

This is for a Laramie Crew, unseen.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any suggestions for shops on south Florida? Also considering having a car detailed do a clay bar and then I can apply the ceramic myself.....thoughts?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any suggestions for shops on south Florida? Also considering having a car detailed do a clay bar and then I can apply the ceramic myself.....thoughts?
If you feel comfortable enough to try and apply the ceramic yourself, you certainly can do a Clay bar yourself.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I asked for a quote of Ceramic Pro’s website. One of their local detailer/installers reached out but was crazy high on his pricing. Said the best he could do Silver was $1300. So the picture attached is his alternative. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 6337765F-7DE3-4A5B-8A46-4F11BB1F3EB5.jpeg
    6337765F-7DE3-4A5B-8A46-4F11BB1F3EB5.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 121

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone still following? I was quoted the Ceramic above from one guy and the rest below. Please chime in.

One installer is the the #1 XPEL guy around and recommended by XPEL’s website. He can cut and print it there in his shop and suggested to save some money and do the entire front end but no good at all (both of us hate the line). It would include the lights and mirrors and everything except the hood. Fort this he quoted $935. He also does ceramic coating and is using XPEL’s new coating that he has access to, I guess it is just coming out and he says is made by Ceramic Pro. He said he would do a 1-step correction and coat the whole truck including going over the PPF and to do that he would do all of the above for $2000 including PPF, 1-step correction, and XPEL Ceramic coating.

Another option is a different guy who switched from XPEL to Suntek due to the orange peel he didn’t like on XPEL. He quoted partial front for $1100 and he also does Tint. He said the tint on all 4 windows plus the back above the cab would be $220 and if I did both together he would take 10% off the total so $1188 total. He doesn’t do Ceramic coating so I could maybe use the guy from the post I made above who quoted $750. If I do that I’m looking at $2000 again but this includes tint as well.

What would you do????

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone still following? I was quoted the Ceramic above from one guy and the rest below. Please chime in.

One installer is the the #1 XPEL guy around and recommended by XPEL’s website. He can cut and print it there in his shop and suggested to save some money and do the entire front end but no good at all (both of us hate the line). It would include the lights and mirrors and everything except the hood. Fort this he quoted $935. He also does ceramic coating and is using XPEL’s new coating that he has access to, I guess it is just coming out and he says is made by Ceramic Pro. He said he would do a 1-step correction and coat the whole truck including going over the PPF and to do that he would do all of the above for $2000 including PPF, 1-step correction, and XPEL Ceramic coating.

Another option is a different guy who switched from XPEL to Suntek due to the orange peel he didn’t like on XPEL. He quoted partial front for $1100 and he also does Tint. He said the tint on all 4 windows plus the back above the cab would be $220 and if I did both together he would take 10% off the total so $1188 total. He doesn’t do Ceramic coating so I could maybe use the guy from the post I made above who quoted $750. If I do that I’m looking at $2000 again but this includes tint as well.

What would you do????
I used a highly-rated installer here in the DFW area for my PPF installation. He exclusively uses XPEL Ultimate Plus, has an onsite plotter, etc. My installation ran about $840 with tax for headlights / fog lights, partial coverage of the hood and fenders, leading edge of the roof (cutting around sunroof) and A-pillars, and front fender "cheeks".

Separately, I used the services of a guy on this forum to do ceramic coating on both my Ram and my wife's Audi Q5. He charged $700 each to do minor paint correction and apply the ceramic coating.

So I paid $1,500-1,600 for both PPF and ceramic coating. It probably would have run closer to $2,000 total if I had the whole hood and front fenders covered in PPF.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I used a highly-rated installer here in the DFW area for my PPF installation. He exclusively uses XPEL Ultimate Plus, has an onsite plotter, etc. My installation ran about $840 with tax for headlights / fog lights, partial coverage of the hood and fenders, leading edge of the roof (cutting around sunroof) and A-pillars, and front fender "cheeks".

Separately, I used the services of a guy on this forum to do ceramic coating on both my Ram and my wife's Audi Q5. He charged $700 each to do minor paint correction and apply the ceramic coating.

So I paid $1,500-1,600 for both PPF and ceramic coating. It probably would have run closer to $2,000 total if I had the whole hood and front fenders covered in PPF.
How long ago did you have your ceramic coating done and are you happy with how it’s holding up?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How long ago did you have your ceramic coating done and are you happy with how it’s holding up?
It’s been 4 months. Honestly, with the truck being so new, I’m not sure I can tell much of a difference. And it’s garaged all the time.

On my wife’s car (done at the same time), I think it’s helping make the removal of bird droppings, etc, a little easier. But there’s also a spot where the ceramic coat wasn’t applied quite right and is showing more over time, so I’ll have to polish that spot down at some point.

Next time, I may just opt for a sealant.

On the flip side, the PPF has done a great job thus far.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just dropped my truck off for tint and PPF. Getting Suntek Ceramic Tint on all 4 windows and on the rear window. 18% on the Driver and Front passenger and 55% on top of the factory on the Backseat windows and rear. Getting Suntek PPF on the whole front of the truck from the Hood line down plus Headlights and Mirror Caps. Decided the hood wasn't worth it and I'll do Ceramic coating there instead. All in I got it for $980 plus tax and that includes doing a clay bar everywhere that the PPF was going and touch up paint on 5-6 rock chips that I got already before the PPF could be installed.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Wh
Just dropped my truck off for tint and PPF. Getting Suntek Ceramic Tint on all 4 windows and on the rear window. 18% on the Driver and Front passenger and 55% on top of the factory on the Backseat windows and rear. Getting Suntek PPF on the whole front of the truck from the Hood line down plus Headlights and Mirror Caps. Decided the hood wasn't worth it and I'll do Ceramic coating there instead. All in I got it for $980 plus tax and that includes doing a clay bar everywhere that the PPF was going and touch up paint on 5-6 rock chips that I got already before the PPF could be installed.
Where is this at?

Users who are viewing this thread