5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just received a quote for XPEL & Ceramic Coatings. Is this a good deal? What did you pay?

theonlyMcG

Reaction score
I am going to bring back this thread because it was the only one that came up via search. For those of you who have installed a product like Glassparency on your windshield, does it have any effect on stuff like safety systems or rain sensing wipers or anything like that?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am going to bring back this thread because it was the only one that came up via search. For those of you who have installed a product like Glassparency on your windshield, does it have any effect on stuff like safety systems or rain sensing wipers or anything like that?
I have no experience with it, but more than likely, it should be fine, as it is a crystal clear product.
(I've used RainX and SIO2 products on the windshield w/o issues).

Last edited:

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
I feel like I got a really good deal for what I got on my Rebel ...

Paint correction/prep
Gtechniq Crystal Syrum Ultra with EXO on top
Gtechniq on the windshield
3m ppf on half the hood and the pieces under the lights
Where did you get this? Seems good.

Also for everyone... does pff still look as good and shiny as without?

kipeharris

Reaction score
What did everyone pay for their XPEL ceramic window tint? I just did everything besides my windshield (sunroof) included and thought it was wayyyy high..... Your thoughts on ceramic tint?

Attachments

• Truck 1 .jpeg
    Truck 1 .jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 61
  • truck 3.jpeg
    truck 3.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Truck.jpeg
    Truck.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 58

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What did everyone pay for their XPEL ceramic window tint? I just did everything besides my windshield (sunroof) included and thought it was wayyyy high..... Your thoughts on ceramic tint?

I don't have Xpel, I have Suntek Ceramic and I paid $300 Canadian for all 4 doors and Back window. 20% front door the rest 5%. Keeps everything a bit cooler in there when I use my front window shade.

UNL67Volvo

Reaction score
BUMP, any updates from Texas Woody or or other's that did Xpel PPF and/or window tint?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did some xpel ppf but very minimal just headlights, the cheeks under the lights and my grille slats and nostrils that are paint matched. I have llumar ceramic tint so my costs may not be what you want to hear about

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some good points, and a few misses (my .02).

I'm also a detailer as well as being in the Military. I've owned my detail business for many years now and I started doing my homework on Ceramic Coatings about 5 years ago. When they first hit the market they were so expensive that it was limited to the super elite and was something only the extremely wealthy could afford and was pretty much exclusive to super cars. Thanks to the advent of competition the prices came down and companies came out of the wood work, which is good and bad.

Not all Ceramic Coatings are the same. I've dealt with several different brands/companies that offer Ceramic Coatings and some do have some ridiculous claims. "Scratch proof coatings," yeah that's a scam. Scratch resistant however is an accurate claim. The biggest thing to remember with Ceramic Coatings is that it becomes the "sacrificial layer" instead of your paint (which is much cheaper to repair than repainting your car) it's not bullet proof but it adds a layer of protection that no other wax on the market can compete with (even Collinite 845 which I love and use).

I've seen first hand what happens when a bunch of birds decided to take a crap on several cars waiting to be picked up from my shop. One was a freshly waxed car and one was a Ceramic Coated car, both were parked next to each other at my shop. Difference between the 2? The "waxed" car had to be buffed/wet sanded to get the acid etching out of the paint, the Ceramic Coated car just needed quick detailer and a drop of compound (Sonax 04-06) on a MF rag to get a small pea size amount of surface etching off of it. That's real world experience, not some gimmicky photo shopped video.

Another reason why Ceramic Coatings offer much better protection over periodic waxing is ease of maintenance. Ceramic Coatings are hydrophobic which means that nothing sticks to them, think of It like Teflon coating for your car. Because of its hydrophobic characteristics water spots won't etch into your paint, washing takes 1/2 the time and you won't need to do it as frequently as bugs/grime wipe off easily. Also another big positive is that it adds a significant amount of gloss to the paint that waxes just can't compete with. Durability? Wax can be stripped with an all purpose cleaner or even dawn dish soap. Some ceramic coatings (like Gtechniq CSU) have to be wet sanded off with 1500 grit sandpaper to remove it, it's that durable which is why they guarantee it for 9 years.

Lifetime warranty's on ceramic (i.e. Ceramic Pro), in my opinion, are a complete waste and B.S. Why? Because read the fine print you have to bring it to them annually and have to pay them to do touch ups/top coats/re-applications, that's not lifetime, that's a lifetime subscription with annual dues. Also if you use a automatic car wash or plan to continue to use them, Ceramic Coatings aren't for you, they void your warranty immediately because so many carwashes are poorly maintained and cause an extreme amount of damage to vehicle surfaces.

As you mentioned though prep is key. Anyone (and I do mean anyone on here) can apply Ceramic Coatings, it's not difficult, just very time consuming. The key is the prep, whatever you "leave" or don't correct on your paint is going to be sealed in for many years, a lot of the cost is the labor/paint correction. For instance my cost for Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Ultra (9 Year) and EXO V4 is around $300, but most shops charge north of $1500-2500 to do it, a lot of it is because if you have an issue in that 9 years the shop has to fix it for free, there's no cost to the customer. However the downside is you can't buy a lot of the Pro-Grade Ceramic's without specialized training and/or a business license/account so you're forced to go to an accredited installer/shop. On a positive note there are several ceramic coatings out there that are Pro-Consumer grade that you can do in your garage and get up to 5 years of protection out of them.

Are they worth it? Absolutely. But only if you get someone who knows what they are doing and has a passion for doing it. I've seen "professional" well established shops butcher jobs that a novice detailer with a harbor freight buffer in his mom and dads garage could perfect, and I've seen back yard detailers that think they know what they are doing destroy a vehicle. Moral of the story is do your homework on the detailer as much as you do on the coating you want to get. I have customers whose cars have been coated for going on 4 years now and they are still in immaculate shape and perform the same they did the day I coated them. I've also seen other brands of coatings come in that have completely failed within a year when their original claim was 3 years or better.

At the end of the day it's like buying life insurance. It's optional, provides great protection if you need it (and you hope you don't), but the end results depend on how good of a company you go with and your rates will depend on your overall health (paint quality/condition). When you spend close to $70k on a truck these days what's a few hundred extra to help protect it?

(FYI, PPF - Paint Protection Film, is still the ultimate protection out there as it provides a physical layer of protection but it doesn't cover the entire vehicle and is extremely expensive)
i got quoted 11 k for ppf and a ceramic coat lol in ny my truck is not a pavement princess so i for sure looking to doing the ppf but idk if im gonna need the ceramic coating but for sure gonna look at cheaper places

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
i got quoted 11 k for ppf and a ceramic coat lol in ny my truck is not a pavement princess so i for sure looking to doing the ppf but idk if im gonna need the ceramic coating but for sure gonna look at cheaper places
Was that a full truck ppf? I’m on Long Island and I got quoted 7k for that. For ceramic I think another 2200

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was that a full truck ppf? I’m on Long Island and I got quoted 7k for that. For ceramic I think another 2200
yes full truck and ceramic 11k im also in long island i got quoted by a shop in ct. usually cheaper the new york but im gonna look around

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
yes full truck and ceramic 11k im also in long island i got quoted by a shop in ct. usually cheaper the new york but im gonna look around
KS detailing is where I just got my cquartz pro done..
Another shop I wanted to use but was more money and hard to get appt was xclusive autoworks

Ryanf2424

Reaction score
My truck should be ready today. The detail shop I'm using (Gulf Coast Auto Shield in Houston, TX) only does Xpel for their window tint and paint protection film services, and only Feynlab for their ceramic coating services. Here's a summary of what I'm having done:

- Xpel Prime XR Black 35 tint for the 4 side windows (84-85% IR rejection, 59% TSER)
- Xpel Prime XR Black 70 tint for the back window (88-89% IR rejection, 49% TSER)
- Xpel Prime XR Plus 70 tint for the windshield (92-94% IR rejection, 52% TSER)
- Xpel Prime XR Plus 45 tint for the panoramic sunroof panels (97% IR rejection, 58% TSER)
- Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film (colored bumper, headlights, fog lights, partial hood, front fenders, A pillars, roof to the sunroof, rocker panels)
- Feynlab Heal Lite coating on all painted surfaces not covered by the PPF
- Feynlab Ceramic Wheel and Caliper coating on entire surface of all 4 wheels (including the inner barrels)

I'm super pumped to get the truck back and re-do the AC temperature readings with my meat thermometer. Fingers crossed the window tint provides a significant improvement in the flawed AC performance of these trucks.

Cheers.
I'm in Houston as well, how much for all of this if you don't mind me asking?

Users who are viewing this thread