5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just noticed the rebel doesn't have 4WD Auto

Bwarren2

Reaction score
But other models do? Very odd, I use 4WD Auto frequently in my Laramie when I am off road. Any idea what the logic is?

banditsc

Reaction score
It is a heavier duty transfer case for the off road focused model. The Outdoorsman of the past was the same way.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the non-auto in my Gen IV Tradesman, which worked great in the fields and off-road, but was not as useful on the highways, as often the roads were snow covered in the corners and drift areas, but not on the straights. The Rebel and Tradesman 2019 Ram 1500's have the "shift on the fly" transfer case and not the "Shift on Demand" auto transfer case. As noted above, it's a heavier transfer case. If the auto 4WD is desired, the best option is the Big Horn Sport or Laramie Sport edition.

Bwarren2

Reaction score
I had the non-auto in my Gen IV Tradesman, which worked great in the fields and off-road, but was not as useful on the highways, as often the roads were snow covered in the corners and drift areas, but not on the straights. The Rebel and Tradesman 2019 Ram 1500's have the "shift on the fly" transfer case and not the "Shift on Demand" auto transfer case. As noted above, it's a heavier transfer case. If the auto 4WD is desired, the best option is the Big Horn Sport or Laramie Sport edition.

I would use Auto 4WD in bad rain storms, I assume 4 High is ok on pavement?

Pritz73

Reaction score
I too was concerned about that as I would typically use it when conditions are questionable or changing often. If I recall correctly though, I didn’t have it in my Rubicon and managed just fine. I actually think it may give some people a false sense of security when the best course of action is to slow down in questionable conditions.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the big difference is the lower gearing in 4low. And the more anticipated robust offroad use warrants the more capable transfer case.

The auto 4wd has made a resurgence mainly cause less people take rrucks offroad, and more people use them as station wagons.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the big difference is the lower gearing in 4low. And the more anticipated robust offroad use warrants the more capable transfer case.

The auto 4wd has made a resurgence mainly cause less people take rrucks offroad, and more people use them as station wagons.
My first new vehicle was a 1978 K-10 Chevrolet, the first year for full time 4WD. I loved that system, and Auto 4WD provides that option.

I usedmine on the farm, but little time is actually in 4WD. In my last truck I used low range maybe 50 miles over six years. It’s one of those “gotta have it” but seldom use.

Spe1996

Reaction score
Auto AWD may be coming in the Rebel 12. Something was bothering me about the pic of the new Rebel 12 so I saved the pic and made is larger and low and behold the truck is in auto AWD in the pic. Fingers crossed. Rebel12-OverlayFeature01-Mobile.jpg.image.1000.jpg

Bwarren2

Reaction score
Auto AWD may be coming in the Rebel 12. Something was bothering me about the pic of the new Rebel 12 so I saved the pic and made is larger and low and behold the truck is in auto AWD in the pic. Fingers crossed. View attachment 5113

Probably another $4K! I would take the auto awd over the screen

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh the good old days when you had to physically get out of your truck and lock the hubs in before you could put it in 4wd;)

We still have those on our F350 fire department brush truck... it's fun with the younger guys not having any idea what the he'll they are and getting stuck.. "I put it in 4 wheel drive".... "Did you lock out the hubs?"...."Did I what ??? What the he'll are you talking about???"

Spe1996

Reaction score
That's certainly a possibility but the pic does have a hill decent button which I am not sure is on limited's. The pic is also missing the buttons for the ventilated seats. I guess we will just have to wait for more reviews.
...or they just photoshopped an image of a Limited and forgot about that!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's certainly a possibility but the pic does have a hill decent button which I am not sure is on limited's. The pic is also missing the buttons for the ventilated seats. I guess we will just have to wait for more reviews.
The hill descent button IS on my Longhorn (along with the ventilated seats...good eye there).

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4wd Auto is so not what the Rebel brand is about... I'll be surprised if they add it. But being a special edition, maybe the thought is giving the Limited buyer that wants the Rebel exterior what he/she wants in luxury options and not worrying about the Rebel brand as an offroad base platform since the TRX will be showing up soon.

Spe1996

Reaction score
Just because it has auto 4WD does not mean it's any less capable, the Raptor, ZR2 Colorado and the new Sierra AT4 all come with a auto 4WD as well as 4 HIGH and are very capable trucks.
4wd Auto is so not what the Rebel brand is about... I'll be surprised if they add it. But being a special edition, maybe the thought is giving the Limited buyer that wants the Rebel exterior what he/she wants in luxury options and not worrying about the Rebel brand as an offroad base platform since the TRX will be showing up soon.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just because it has auto 4WD does not mean it's any less capable, the Raptor, ZR2 Colorado and the new Sierra AT4 all come with a auto 4WD as well as 4 HIGH and are very capable trucks.
Agreed, just hasn't been part of the trim to establish the brand since it's availability in late 2014. It's one of the reasons it attracted me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread