5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just noticed something interesting

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They're traditionally called cornering lights. First car I owned with that feature was an '84 Cougar. It's a pretty common feature on newer cars.
My Towncar has a light on the outside corner behind the signal. It works with the signal though not the steering.

My 300 SRT just has steering directed headlamps. It is fairly subtle and since your vision is trailing the same way, you don't notice it until you look for it.

Ulster

Reaction score
The dirt road that I live on has a series of steep switchbacks, and this feature is absolutely one of my favorites. Taking sharp, steep turns in the dark always feels like a stab in the dark...but this makes it so much easier.

23RAM

Reaction score
Since they don't shine up at oncoming traffic, I have the fog lights set on with my headlights all the time so it doesn't turn on/off. Gives me low cornering lighting at all times and increases visibility. The on/off is a handy feature for cornering if you don't want them on all the time.

JasonMetoyer

Reaction score
Since they don't shine up at oncoming traffic, I have the fog lights set on with my headlights all the time so it doesn't turn on/off. Gives me low cornering lighting at all times and increases visibility. The on/off is a handy feature for cornering if you don't want them on all the time.
can you tell me how to turn off the cornering lights all together please?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's in the uconnect 5 menus under lighting. Not sure on UC4.
I believe it's called "adaptive lighting" or something
Turned it off and no more fog light pops ups.
Checked my settings, and there isn't an option I could find to turn it off. And could t find anything in alfaOBD either but might not have been looking for right thing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Checked my settings, and there isn't an option I could find to turn it off. And could t find anything in alfaOBD either but might not have been looking for right thing.
I can take a picture of it on my UC5 but not sure if it's the same on UC4.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Two completely different features being mixed together here.
This thread is referring to the cornering lamps, which is the corresponding fog lamp that turns on (if they are not already in use). There is no way to disable this feature, except by turning on the fog lamps.
The one that can be turned off in the radio settings is the adaptive headlights (steering directed headlamps). This feature is on the limited style projector headlights, and the low/high beam projector inside the headlight housing will “swivel” when turning.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I keep my fog lights on all the time with the headlights on but I first noticed it on another ram a saw rolling through a parking lot. At first I thought they had a fog light that wasn't burnt out then I tried it on mine and realized it was a feature of the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not the same. I was just updating the thread to say it's not an option on the UC4. At least not that I could find. I went through every menu.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my fog lights on all the time with the headlights on but I first noticed it on another ram a saw rolling through a parking lot. At first I thought they had a fog light that wasn't burnt out then I tried it on mine and realized it was a feature of the truck.
I used to keep mine on all the time. But I'm respectful of other drivers, and with the LED pods in aftermarket bumpers they would be blinding to incoming traffic when they get close

JasonMetoyer

Reaction score
I used to keep mine on all the time. But I'm respectful of other drivers, and with the LED pods in aftermarket bumpers they would be blinding to incoming traffic when they get close
I can't because I put in Baja Pro squadron Ambers at 4300 lums a piece not knowing about the cornering feature.

JasonMetoyer

Reaction score
guess ill just have to cut wires and put in a switch - anyone tell me the best things I can do with this OBD2MX now? don't really need it at this point ! ugh!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
guess ill just have to cut wires and put in a switch - anyone tell me the best things I can do with this OBD2MX now? don't really need it at this point ! ugh!
This feature can not be configured off at all. Your only option right now is to put the fog lamps an a separate aftermarket switch.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Two completely different features being mixed together here.
This thread is referring to the cornering lamps, which is the corresponding fog lamp that turns on (if they are not already in use). There is no way to disable this feature, except by turning on the fog lamps.
The one that can be turned off in the radio settings is the adaptive headlights (steering directed headlamps). This feature is on the limited style projector headlights, and the low/high beam projector inside the headlight housing will “swivel” when turning.
You're correct.
I thought when I turned off the adaptive setting it stopped the cornering lights also but I guess I just left my fog lights turned on.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At least on my 20 Laramie, there was an adjustment screw to set height. As long as you don't have them adjusted up into oncoming traffic, it shouldn't matter how bright they are. They are supposed to be aimed low, just to fill in between the truck, and where the headlights hit. Fog lights aimed high, make it worse driving in fog.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably not the same. I was just updating the thread to say it's not an option on the UC4. At least not that I could find. I went through every menu.

Like Jimmy07 already said, this feature only comes with Limited or Longhorn trim, I see you your is BTS build so your don't have this feature, UC4 does have this feature too if your build equips with it. This setting is only for the headlight, not the fog light.

Users who are viewing this thread