5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just joined and in the market

Megaman

Reaction score
Hello all. Just joined and in the market for a truck. I keep my trucks for a long time...too long actually. My poor 2000 S10 I bought brand new is super rusty and crusty and has to go. I will say it still runs great and 4WD works. But - bed floor is shot, cab corners gone....the usual rust areas.

I'm looking at getting a Ram Bighorn or Laramie 1500. Trying to decide what options are worth the extra $$ on each. I know I do kinda like the sport package and hood on the Laramie, and it doesn't appear quite the same package is offered on the BH. Looking at 4x4 with a 5.7 without the etorque stuff. So many different trims and options on these....makes my head spin! lol. - I've also looked a little at the 2500's, but adding any options skyrockets the price on those up to the upper 60's/low 70's....above my budget unfortunately. I'm trying to stay mid 50's msrp max.

I've had/do have Dodge/FCA vehicles and have a Challenger Redeye I bought last year.

Anyways, just saying hi while I gather info.

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Between the 2 trims you’re looking at It would depend on what options you really want . You can get a nicely equipped Bighorn , you just can’t get the 12” radio or leather and without leather you can’t have the ventilated seats . If you’re not looking for those options then a Bighorn would definitely be cheaper .

Burnzie

Reaction score
Welcome, just saw a 21 Rebel @ the dealer yesterday, crew cab 5.7L 8.4 inch screen black on black $55,000 new zero miles and that's sticker price.

Burnzie

Reaction score
At least l think it was a 21 maybe a 20 but definitely NEW

Megaman

Reaction score
Quick question. I went out looking at 1500 Bighorns and Laramies. Saw a couple that interested me. Then I went to another dealer and found not 1 - but 2 - 2019 Ram 2500's! They are new leftovers. Standard cab, 8' bed 6.4's, cloth interior with snow plow packages, hi output alternators etc.. Both white, both priced around 40K after a 6K dealer discount off MSRP. I'm betting I can get a bit more since they're 2019 models. I wouldn't say highly optioned. Are they a decent deal? How;s the resale value of 2500's, and is insurance higher than 1500's?

Probably more truck than I need, but they seem like really nice trucks.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome! Biggest thing you need to decide on is if you want any of the advanced safety features/leather interior of the Laramie. If you went with a bighorn you can still get the pano sunroof and 12” screen and much better rebates. That being said I went with a bighorn, and now I’m waiting on my ordered Laramie to arrive....

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Between the 2 trims you’re looking at It would depend on what options you really want . You can get a nicely equipped Bighorn , you just can’t get the 12” radio or leather and without leather you can’t have the ventilated seats . If you’re not looking for those options then a Bighorn would definitely be cheaper .
You can get the 12” screen in a bighorn.

Megaman

Reaction score
Welcome! Biggest thing you need to decide on is if you want any of the advanced safety features/leather interior of the Laramie. If you went with a bighorn you can still get the pano sunroof and 12” screen and much better rebates. That being said I went with a bighorn, and now I’m waiting on my ordered Laramie to arrive....
Thanks! Not looking for a 12" screen, the 8.7" is fine for me. I don't really even need NAV although most seem to have it anyway unless there's a stripped down model out there. Leather would be nice, but I could settle for vinyl/cloth or just cloth. I do want the 5.7 MDS without the etorque, 4X4, side steps (or the wife won't want to get into it) along with the more common things nowadays....remote start, garage door opener and things like that. I like the Sport package, but in the BH trim the hood doesn't come with it? Close second is the Built to serve package.

I did find one on this past Sunday. Decided to troll around the dealer lot and found a '20 BH/Lonestar 1500. 5.7, Patriot blue, Built to Serve, Big Horn level 2, also has the Tri–Fold Tonneau Cover, rear storage, Sunroof, rear wheel liners, blind spot, trailer brakes.....and yeah, it has the 12" screen with NAV.

The MSRP for it is $57,910. They are giving a $6K discount which brings the price down to $51,910 - plus tax, title etc. - Do you guys think this is a decent price? I think I could pull the trigger if they came down to around 47,910....or does that sound unreasonable? That's 10% off sticker roughly.

Or - maybe offer 15% off....or about 43,910 ?? Something tells me they won't go that low though. I'm trying to get them to email me their best price (I emailed them) , but of course they tried calling me, texting me about coming in to talk to them without giving me any price. They most likely still had my phone # from a previous car I bought back in '15.....didn't think of that!

If they don't want to sell, its not a problem at all. I can wait till the end of the year and see what's left on the lots and try again then. I only have 4 other vehicles to drive around here....lol

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! Not looking for a 12" screen, the 8.7" is fine for me. I don't really even need NAV although most seem to have it anyway unless there's a stripped down model out there. Leather would be nice, but I could settle for vinyl/cloth or just cloth. I do want the 5.7 MDS without the etorque, 4X4, side steps (or the wife won't want to get into it) along with the more common things nowadays....remote start, garage door opener and things like that. I like the Sport package, but in the BH trim the hood doesn't come with it? Close second is the Built to serve package.

I did find one on this past Sunday. Decided to troll around the dealer lot and found a '20 BH/Lonestar 1500. 5.7, Patriot blue, Built to Serve, Big Horn level 2, also has the Tri–Fold Tonneau Cover, rear storage, Sunroof, rear wheel liners, blind spot, trailer brakes.....and yeah, it has the 12" screen with NAV.

The MSRP for it is $57,910. They are giving a $6K discount which brings the price down to $51,910 - plus tax, title etc. - Do you guys think this is a decent price? I think I could pull the trigger if they came down to around 47,910....or does that sound unreasonable? That's 10% off sticker roughly.

Or - maybe offer 15% off....or about 43,910 ?? Something tells me they won't go that low though. I'm trying to get them to email me their best price (I emailed them) , but of course they tried calling me, texting me about coming in to talk to them without giving me any price. They most likely still had my phone # from a previous car I bought back in '15.....didn't think of that!

If they don't want to sell, its not a problem at all. I can wait till the end of the year and see what's left on the lots and try again then. I only have 4 other vehicles to drive around here....lol
You can do a bit better on the built to serve price. Should be able to get it closer to 15-18% off. As for the big horn you are correct. I do not believe any bighorns come with a sport hood. That hood is only on laramies/rebels and above. Its not standard on limiteds though. The built to serve would be a good deal if you got them down to 48 or 49k that would be pretty good.

Megaman

Reaction score
You can do a bit better on the built to serve price. Should be able to get it closer to 15-18% off. As for the big horn you are correct. I do not believe any bighorns come with a sport hood. That hood is only on laramies/rebels and above. Its not standard on limiteds though. The built to serve would be a good deal if you got them down to 48 or 49k that would be pretty good.
Thanks yet again! I do like the sport hood better, but the normal hood is fine. But - it just doesn't make sense to me why they have a sport package for the Bighorn that has all the sporty stuff EXCEPT for the hood! Gotta buy the sport package with a Laramie if you want the hood! The window sticker for the truck describes it as a Big Horn/ Lone Star....most I've seen are one or the other?

I was thinking around 12-15% off would be a decent deal.....20% would be great of course, but this is the only truck optioned like this on their lot, so I'm thinking they'll only come down so far. - I think I'll make an offer of 47K and see if they'll take it or not. If they do, I'd consider using the difference for an extended warranty maybe. If they counter anything over 49K before tax. license etc., I think I'll pass and look elsewhere.

EDIT: 10% off of the MSRP would be $5,097.00 off (roughly) . They are already offering 6K off the truck as a "Dealer Discount" on their website - a tad more than 10% off sticker already. So 47K is in the ballpark of 15% off sticker.

Last edited:

puba08

Reaction score
If the hood is holding you up you can always buy it after. I wanted the hood too, until I saw the BTS. Now I don’t want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks yet again! I do like the sport hood better, but the normal hood is fine. But - it just doesn't make sense to me why they have a sport package for the Bighorn that has all the sporty stuff EXCEPT for the hood! Gotta buy the sport package with a Laramie if you want the hood! The window sticker for the truck describes it as a Big Horn/ Lone Star....most I've seen are one or the other?

I was thinking around 12-15% off would be a decent deal.....20% would be great of course, but this is the only truck optioned like this on their lot, so I'm thinking they'll only come down so far. - I think I'll make an offer of 47K and see if they'll take it or not. If they do, I'd consider using the difference for an extended warranty maybe. If they counter anything over 49K before tax. license etc., I think I'll pass and look elsewhere.

EDIT: 10% off of the MSRP would be $5,097.00 off (roughly) . They are already offering 6K off the truck as a "Dealer Discount" on their website - a tad more than 10% off sticker already. So 47K is in the ballpark of 15% off sticker.
The bighorn and lone star are the same exact thing. Lone star is the Texas edition of a bighorn. If you go in at 45-47k they should come back at a decent price but there will definitely be some back and forth. Let us know what they say!

Megaman

Reaction score
The bighorn and lone star are the same exact thing. Lone star is the Texas edition of a bighorn. If you go in at 45-47k they should come back at a decent price but there will definitely be some back and forth. Let us know what they say!
So far, it doesn't look good at all. Seems their "Dealer Discount" (51,700ish) off the MSRP (57,930) assumes a person qualifies for every rebate Ram has to offer. -So really, no one is going to get that price. Funny thing is, I was prepared to give them 30K down on the truck, and the best offer they could come up with for an "out the door" price for me was 57K.....basically sticker price! So that's realistically only a few grand off MSRP. Not gonna happen.

Tried to let the sales guy know that if I could get the truck in the range of 45-46K out the door, I could either supply them with a check for the entire balance, or possibly finance 15-20K of it if it helped them out since I know they get kickbacks when people finance through Chrysler. The search continues.....

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far, it doesn't look good at all. Seems their "Dealer Discount" (51,700ish) off the MSRP (57,930) assumes a person qualifies for every rebate Ram has to offer. -So really, no one is going to get that price. Funny thing is, I was prepared to give them 30K down on the truck, and the best offer they could come up with for an "out the door" price for me was 57K.....basically sticker price! So that's realistically only a few grand off MSRP. Not gonna happen.

Tried to let the sales guy know that if I could get the truck in the range of 45-46K out the door, I could either supply them with a check for the entire balance, or possibly finance 15-20K of it if it helped them out since I know they get kickbacks when people finance through Chrysler. The search continues.....
Yeah absolutely not a good deal. Good for you for walking away. Much better deals to be had!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would want to be around 46k on a 57k msrp before TTL
In a semi-perfect world. That's a hefty discount. Not unheard of but you need to really stack up the rebates/incentives and haggle to get to that point. I am okay with getting 15-18%. Also depends if you are buying off the lot and know what the rebates will be versus ordering from factory.

Users who are viewing this thread