5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just installed Borla Touring; Fit is crap.

TxAg98

Reaction score
Wow, I'm super unimpressed here. I just sent a message to Borla to see what's up. I ordered a Borla Touring CatBack from RealTruck for my '21 1500 CC Short Bed 5.7. I was able to get the muffler section bolted up and tightened down to the factory mid pipe, but once tightened, it has forced the passenger side muffler outlet pipe to pin itself against the bump stop mount that's welded to the frame. Since there is no adjustability at the mid pipe/muffler section joint, I'm at a loss. Also, no amount of wiggling, loosening and tightening can get the passenger side tip centered in the cut out. Driver side is spot on. Also, there is MAYBE an 1/8 to a 1/4' of clearance between the muffler body and the frame rail. Something just isn't right. Its almost like the passenger side outlet pipe was welded wrong and needs to be rotated counterclockwise from the muffler body.

Hows everyone else's Borla fitment?

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I have a Borla S-Type and love it. Fits great. One of the tips is slightly higher than the other so had to have that pulled down so it wouldn't hit the bumper but beside that, it's perfect.

I did have a local shop help with the install. Took about 1 hr.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TxAg98

Reaction score
I found an older post with someone that had the same issue on a '20 and contacted Borla and they sent a whole replacement. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
I found an older post with someone that had the same issue on a '20 and contacted Borla and they sent a whole replacement. We'll see what they say tomorrow.
If it doesn’t work out I’ll take it off your hands

Arkangel03

Reaction score
I believe I'm having the same issue with the Borla ATAK I had installed on my truck. Might be what's causing the Drone and Vibrations whenever I'm at highway speeds. Contacted Borla and they said they'd send a replacement, I'm just waiting now.

Attachments

• 20210310_152837.jpg
    20210310_152837.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210310_152832.jpg
    20210310_152832.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 143

DLT123

Reaction score
My Borla Touring fit perfectly after adjustment. I did the following:
1. Installed all muffler hangers before installing bolts into flange.
2. Lubed all Borla pipe section ends and clamped very loosely to allow easy adjustments until tips and everything else was aligned to my liking.

You might have hangers that were bent in transport. That was the case for another member here, and as mentioned above, Borla sent him a replacement system that fit much better.

TxAg98

Reaction score
Wow, just got an email from Borla, less than 24 hours later and offered a no questions asked replacement. All they needed was invoice, shipping address and picture of affected area. Top notch.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Wow, just got an email from Borla, less than 24 hours later and offered a no questions asked replacement. All they needed was invoice, shipping address and picture of affected area. Top notch.
Send me the broken one for 100$

TxAg98

Reaction score
Lol, they didn't ask me to send anything back yet; I'll let you know.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My ATAK fit great other than I couldn't get one of the middle hangers to line up at all, so I just ignored it as there were enough other hangers I didn't feel it was necessary

RamLink83

Reaction score
Lol, they didn't ask me to send anything back yet; I'll let you know.
I recently installed a Borla touring on my truck and I am having some fitment issues on the passenger side. Like you and others, the pipe is real close to the bump stop, maybe 3/16" away and I cannot for the life of me get the passenger tip centered. This is probably because of the muffler being too close to the bump stock and because of bent hangers. Contacted borla and they gave me the option to go to a local shop to adjust (this is the first recommendation) or get replacement parts.

Did your replacement fit better? And did you have to send the old parts back? Trying to decide if I should take it to a shop or just have them replace it.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion. I found an independent muffler shop that took a crowbar to all of the affected mounts and hangers. They were also able to get the tips centered and properly gapped just by using the crowbar to adjust everything. It took the guy about 10 minutes for all of it. Cost was $20. So, if you can do it yourself, knowing that that's all that's needed, start bending.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
There's been a lot of people on here reporting fitment issues with the Borla systems for 5th gens. I do love the sound of the Touring but my fitment was horrible and not acceptable for the price they charge.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had minor issues with my S-Type (the tips were too high up in the bumper cutouts and could not center them for the life of me), 30 minutes at an exhaust shop armed with a welder and it looks perfect. Borla covered the cost of the fix.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I had minor issues with my S-Type (the tips were too high up in the bumper cutouts and could not center them for the life of me), 30 minutes at an exhaust shop armed with a welder and it looks perfect. Borla covered the cost of the fix.
I'm taking mine to an exhaust shop next week on Borla's dime. Did they weld all the joints? The guy at the exhaust shop mentioned he's had to weld some other borla's because the band clamps just don't keep things from moving. I'm a bit concerned if he welds everything, it will be a ***** if it ever needs to come off for some reason.

RamLink83

Reaction score
There's been a lot of people on here reporting fitment issues with the Borla systems for 5th gens. I do love the sound of the Touring but my fitment was horrible and not acceptable for the price they charge.
Yeah, I'm not happy about the poor fitment. The exhaust shop I'm taking it to said he doesn't like Borla because of poor fitment, and not just on Rams. Touring is also a lot louder than I was expecting, but a nice deep growl. Can't imagine having the S-Type or Atak if they are louder.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion. I found an independent muffler shop that took a crowbar to all of the affected mounts and hangers. They were also able to get the tips centered and properly gapped just by using the crowbar to adjust everything. It took the guy about 10 minutes for all of it. Cost was $20. So, if you can do it yourself, knowing that that's all that's needed, start bending.
It's a shame we have to do some bending to make it fit, especially since it's so expensive. At least Borla is paying to get mine fixed.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
It's a shame we have to do some bending to make it fit, especially since it's so expensive. At least Borla is paying to get mine fixed.
It is good on them to cover the cost to make it fit properly. However, they clearly need to up their QC. This is my very first Borla system. I went with Magnaflow on my previous trucks and had zero issues. I always thought of Borla as the primo exhaust manufacturers hence my disappointment. I do love the sound of it though and I'm with ya, the touring is much louder than I expected, especially on cold starts.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm taking mine to an exhaust shop next week on Borla's dime. Did they weld all the joints? The guy at the exhaust shop mentioned he's had to weld some other borla's because the band clamps just don't keep things from moving. I'm a bit concerned if he welds everything, it will be a ***** if it ever needs to come off for some reason.
They cut and welded one of the tail pipes to re-center and fixed the hanger for the pipe on the other side. I don't have a problem with the clamps and didn't want to run into any issues taking it off if I need to.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I spoke to the sales team about this, they said the early days of the Ram exhausts were made without a jig. I think it was American Muscle that put out a video of how Borla does their exhausts today and all of them use a jig for exact fitment and placement before any welding is done. I guess it depends on the supplier to if some of us got old inventory that was made before they had the jig for our trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread