5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just have to vent.

Djorgy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The owner of the body shop is a good friend of mine. He's the best in our area. Good advice about the Carfax situation. I bet I can convince him to keep it on the down low if insurance companies don't give out that info. Hey, Merry Christmas to you all. Enjoy all of God's blessings no matter how big or small!

Sjay

Reaction score
My wife got hit driving out of a parking lot and we didn't turn it into insurance just paid out of pocket because I knew that our insurance premiums would go up. I saved the fender to show someone if we ever sell the van. Don't think it will hurt our value to much, it is 11 years old with 73,000 miles on it and will probably keep it another 5.(y)

Regarding parking way out, we have a guy at our church that has Power Wagon with every option , must have paid 75K+ for it, he parks out at the end of the parking lot, backs in and every Sunday some idiot parks next to him, not real close, but still.:mad:

MFALRAM

Reaction score
I just have to vent. I was Christmas grocery shopping today with my wife, and a guy backed his truck into my front bumper and dented it. My truck is a new blue pearl coat 2019 Bighorn 1500. I have only 5,000 miles on it. We were in the store when it happened. I am that guy who parks very far away from other cars in the lot and walks a ways to the store. He decided to back his 2005 Chevy 3500 crew cab with a full size box into the space right in front of me! His hitch dented the bumper just to the left of my license plate. It's a good thing that big truck of his had a big drop on his hitch. I called the police and they waited with me for him to come out. Luckily he was apologetic and felt bad. He admitted to hitting it and was hoping the bumper was rubber. If he knew, why didn't he leave a note? I think he was hoping I wouldn't notice. It's a good thing a cop was there. I think it helped smooth things over. I know it helped me to remain calm! Merry Christmas! Now to contact his insurance, get estimates, get it fixed... I hate running around and taking time to do all of this. Again, just ventjng!
I know the feeling. I always park far away and same thing come back out and they are parking right next to me. I just washed my truck the other day and notice 4 different dings on my truck on the passenger side one right on the door handle with different paint color. It always seems they gun for you if you have new vehicle.

braggster

Reaction score
Sucks that nowadays you have to decide whether it is better to get a vehicle fixed and get a lower resale value because of carfax or just sell it with the damage.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sucks that nowadays you have to decide whether it is better to get a vehicle fixed and get a lower resale value because of carfax or just sell it with the damage.
I have never leased. What happens with a lease that is in an accident, repaired and returned at lease end? Any financial consequences? It seems that would be a benefit to leasing a vehicle if there are no consequences.

braggster

Reaction score
I have never leased. What happens with a lease that is in an accident, repaired and returned at lease end? Any financial consequences? It seems that would be a benefit to leasing a vehicle if there are no consequences.
Couldn't tell you as I have never leased a vehicle

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are no consequences. As long as the vehicle wasn't totalled and is returned in acceptable end of lease condition it can have multiple accidents. I haven't leased in a very long time but they can't hold acceptable repairs against you.

Back on diminished value. It's a gray area for sure. Technically a properly repaired accident that is reported, meaning repaired through an insurance signed off repair, shouldn't be held against you on a trade, but a lot of people value the "clean" Carfax and it wouldn't surprise me if it caused some one to take a hit on a trade.

braggster

Reaction score
There are no consequences. As long as the vehicle wasn't totalled and is returned in acceptable end of lease condition it can have multiple accidents. I haven't leased in a very long time but they can't hold acceptable repairs against you.

Back on diminished value. It's a gray area for sure. Technically a properly repaired accident that is reported, meaning repaired through an insurance signed off repair, shouldn't be held against you on a trade, but a lot of people value the "clean" Carfax and it wouldn't surprise me if it caused some one to take a hit on a trade.
It does seem like different dealers look at the carfax different. I traded in an F150 a few years ago, one dealer wanted to give me 14K and another dealer 17K. Shouldn't matter if the vehicle has been in an accident or not as long as it is repaired to factory standards.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Well, it seems this thread may be going off track a little. Sorry to hear about your truck. You did the right thing by calling the cops. Glad to hear there are others that park on the back side of a parking lot to avoid dings. I have one knee and one hip that was replaced and still park far away. Kills me to see people drive around the parking lot to get one at the front. Good luck with the repair.

I just have to vent. I was Christmas grocery shopping today with my wife, and a guy backed his truck into my front bumper and dented it. My truck is a new blue pearl coat 2019 Bighorn 1500. I have only 5,000 miles on it. We were in the store when it happened. I am that guy who parks very far away from other cars in the lot and walks a ways to the store. He decided to back his 2005 Chevy 3500 crew cab with a full size box into the space right in front of me! His hitch dented the bumper just to the left of my license plate. It's a good thing that big truck of his had a big drop on his hitch. I called the police and they waited with me for him to come out. Luckily he was apologetic and felt bad. He admitted to hitting it and was hoping the bumper was rubber. If he knew, why didn't he leave a note? I think he was hoping I wouldn't notice. It's a good thing a cop was there. I think it helped smooth things over. I know it helped me to remain calm! Merry Christmas! Now to contact his insurance, get estimates, get it fixed... I hate running around and taking time to do all of this. Again, just ventjng!

ramhead

Reaction score
Same as all you other guys who park far away and walk the distance to the entrance.....I've been lucky so far (knock wood) - I also always try to take a corner spot with a curb (i.e; only one side of my truck would be "open" to someone parking next to it) if available - I back in as close to the curb as possible and so if some idiot parked next to me and door dinged me at least it would be on the passenger side where I wouldn't see it all the time. And, what I hate too is the small parking spaces that seem to be lined for mini Coopers vs. full sized trucks or even sedans. Maybe we all need to look into something like this, lol:

d66c1ebeabc88e2ab3b4d358d50b938b.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same as all you other guys who park far away and walk the distance to the entrance.....I've been lucky so far (knock wood) - I also always try to take a corner spot with a curb (i.e; only one side of my truck would be "open" to someone parking next to it) if available - I back in as close to the curb as possible and so if some idiot parked next to me and door dinged me at least it would be on the passenger side where I wouldn't see it all the time. And, what I hate too is the small parking spaces that seem to be lined for mini Coopers vs. full sized trucks or even sedans. Maybe we all need to look into something like this, lol:

d66c1ebeabc88e2ab3b4d358d50b938b.jpg
I think Porsche and supercar brands come with invisible versions of these...or at least they think they do when they double-park diagonally ;)

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think Porsche and supercar brands come with invisible versions of these...or at least they think they do when they double-park diagonally ;)
The crazy thing is that those guys that double park actually invite trouble by people who get mad that they're double parked or are jealous of the vehicle in the first place.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The crazy thing is that those guys that double park actually invite trouble by people who get mad that they're double parked or are jealous of the vehicle in the first place.
Oh, absolutely. I was being facetious! If I were forced to drive an Aston Martin every day, I’d at least have the courtesy to park it high up in an expensive parking garage :)

ramhead

Reaction score

Not that I would ever do something like this because I would be afraid that the double parking idiot would damage my vehicle but here is just karma:

And...another good one:

parking-reddit.jpg

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually park away from all, on a curb, bring in the mirrors, put out the running boards, and raise the truck to Off road 2 to deter people from parking too close. The one big advantage of the Cybertruck is the rolled steel that resists door dings which would be nice to have. I wish people just respected others property or..... that all parking spaces were made like costco does!!! Costco Parking Lot.JPG

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I usually park away from all, on a curb, bring in the mirrors, put out the running boards, and raise the truck to Off road 2 to deter people from parking too close. The one big advantage of the Cybertruck is the rolled steel that resists door dings which would be nice to have. I wish people just respected others property or..... that all parking spaces were made like costco does!!! View attachment 42631
Not the Staten Island, NYC Costco. Not sure of Brooklyn but a good chance it is worst than SI. Life in the big apple.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not the Staten Island, NYC Costco. Not sure of Brooklyn but a good chance it is worst than SI. Life in the big apple.

Looks like the same size parking spaces to me with the double line between spaces to help avoid door dings. Staten Island Costco Parking lot.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread