5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just bought 3 weeks ago now in the shop

flywright

Reaction score
Hey yall, new here and frustrated.

just dropped my 2020 1500 limited 4x4 ecodiesel 46k miles that i have had for 3 weeks. After about 550 miles i get 4 notifications all at once.

Service Electronic Stability Control, ACC unavailable service required, service 4wd system, service trailer brake system.

So now i cant use Cruise, ACC, no forward collision warning, and cant switch to 4wd at all.

Here are the active codes.
ABS - U0403-00
DASM - U0403-00
ITBM - U0415-00
DASM - C2227-00

Stored codes
DTCM - U147B-92
PTC - U0403-00

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey yall, new here and frustrated.

just dropped my 2020 1500 limited 4x4 ecodiesel that i have had for 3 weeks. After about 550 miles i get 4 notifications all at once.

Service Electronic Stability Control, ACC unavailable service required, service 4wd system, service trailer brake system.

So now i cant use Cruise, ACC, no forward collision warning, and cant switch to 4wd at all.

Here are the active codes.
ABS - U0403-00
DASM - U0403-00
ITBM - U0415-00
DASM - C2227-00

Stored codes
DTCM - U147B-92
PTC - U0403-00
Dayum…I’d say check your battery, but on a three week owned truck, I doubt that’s the source of your issues.
Sorry to hear, please post what they find if possible. Good luck. 🤞🏾

flywright

Reaction score
Really a battery to cause all that? And if so would it be starting the 3.0l easily everytime? I guess we will see. Keep yall posted, and thanks for the input.

Quint

Reaction score
When I buy anything used, I have a reverse sliding scale for how much extra to set aside for immediate repairs. If I buy something for $40k, I don't expect much. If I buy something for $5k, I set aside an extra $1-2k knowing that there will be some big skeletons in the closet. I once bought a 2003 F-150 with 140,000 miles. Within six months, I realized that it needed a new tranny. It's part of buying someone else's cast off.

Good luck with the codes. I'm guessing battery like everyone else, which would probably be the best outcome as it's a relatively cheap fix. $200 and now you don't have to worry about the battery for a while! Just make sure that you get a good one.

Cool Dad

Reaction score
I would also think the battery. Back in '03 I bought an '03 Intrepid with about 7k miles, and before it hit 10k the CD player had some kind of short that put a slow drain on the battery. Eventually the weak battery caused the trans to go in limp mode with all kinds of codes. Disconnect battery+ trickle charge, and a new Pioneer Premier+ Polk Momos+ a Basslink was the fix. :cool:

Nowadays vehicles are so much more complex and I can only imagine what systems start tripping out with bad electricity. At 3-4 years (when a typical lease ends) the original battery will give up the ghost. For over 20 years I've had great luck with O'Reilly's mid-grade batteries. They are still running strong when I unload the vehicle when it's 8 years old.

flywright

Reaction score
They had it for 7 days then I spoke with the shop tech, and he asked if i did anything to the truck, I explained i swapped the 22" wheels with 285/45 R 22xl for Laramie 20" wheels with 275/55 R20. They replaced the axle actuator as that's what codes told them to replace then said that did not cure issue, they said they had to reprogram for these wheels/tires. it didnt make sense to me, but errors all gone. These are SO close in size i figured they could be difference in new tires and bald tires.

1681227643584.png

Loudram

Reaction score
They replaced the axle actuator as that's what codes told them to replace then said that did not cure issue, they said they had to reprogram for these wheels/tires.
This is what drives me crazy. The codes told them and it didn't fix the issue. Go figure. What happened to good old fashioned troubleshooting? This is why techs and people in general need to learn and practice critical thinking. I'm an industrial electrician so this is what I do for a living. Critical thinking and root cause analysis are the foundation of basic troubleshooting in any field. Trouble codes and fault codes help but you still have to think.

Ok rant over.

Quint

Reaction score
This is what drives me crazy. The codes told them and it didn't fix the issue. Go figure. What happened to good old fashioned troubleshooting? This is why techs and people in general need to learn and practice critical thinking. I'm an industrial electrician so this is what I do for a living. Critical thinking and root cause analysis are the foundation of basic troubleshooting in any field. Trouble codes and fault codes help but you still have to think.

Ok rant over.
I agree that they need to diagnose in addition to just following the codes. However, how irate would the customer be if critical thinking lead the tech to replace something else which wasn't the problem. Because they have these codes built into vehicles these days, a tech better have a good reason not to do what the manufacturer's fancy system tells them to do.

Loudram

Reaction score
I agree that they need to diagnose in addition to just following the codes. However, how irate would the customer be if critical thinking lead the tech to replace something else which wasn't the problem. Because they have these codes built into vehicles these days, a tech better have a good reason not to do what the manufacturer's fancy system tells them to do.
Those codes are just another tool. Like any other tool they need to be used correctly by a tech that can think. They go hand in hand, they are not mutually exclusive.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ok rant over.
U0403 Implausible data received from tcase(this code is set in 3 seperate modules)
U0415 Implausible data received from ABS
C2227 ABS disabled ECU
C147B-92(U147B-92 doesn't exist) Front Axle Disconnect Sensor Performance or Incorrect Operation

If its me, I am checking all the inline connections to the FAD. Load testing circuits, possible that there is a corroded wire. If you follow the flow chart as written and the wires test good by the tests. The test has you ohms test the circuits for opens, high resistance and shorts. Terrible test, but the tech did exactly as the test states. You replace the part, with no change. Now the tech gets to critical think(if they can). Load testing, voltage drop on the circuits, but that FAD or wiring is the issue.

Way too many techs scan codes and throw parts at it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any update to this? I have the exact same codes pop up today on my 21 rebel eco d. What was the fix?
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread