5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jump starting eTorque???

Ram’dit

Reaction score
I’ve ordered an eTorque limited. I was sitting here thinking about what happens if I have a dead battery somewhere in the future. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge on how this might be handled? Is it the same as jump starting any other vehicle?

Just curious what plan B might be? I drive about 40K/year and I’m in a lot of remote places.

Thanks.

grinch72

Reaction score
I’ve ordered an eTorque limited. I was sitting here thinking about what happens if I have a dead battery somewhere in the future. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge on how this might be handled? Is it the same as jump starting any other vehicle?

Just curious what plan B might be? I drive about 40K/year and I’m in a lot of remote places.

Thanks.
You shouldn't have to jump start it. If the battery dies the 48V battery from the eTorque system should start the vehicle.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 48V system charges the 12V battery when needed, so if you have a dead battery, it's pretty much already too late for jump starting. However, IF for some reason both battery systems were low on voltage, you can jump start the truck with the regular 12V battery just like you would normally. Once the engine is running, the MGU will charge the 48V system and run the truck through feeding the 12V system.

Reaction score
Today went to start truck and no go just ugly crackle and pop. Entry lights, power boards , dash gauges and stereo all working normal. Checked battery with light type meter and showed yellow/red to indicate bad battery. I jumped it with portable jump pack and into dealer for replacement at 28,000 miles 22 months. So the 48v battery could run other stuff I guess but couldn’t start truck.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today went to start truck and no go just ugly crackle and pop. Entry lights, power boards , dash gauges and stereo all working normal. Checked battery with light type meter and showed yellow/red to indicate bad battery. I jumped it with portable jump pack and into dealer for replacement at 28,000 miles 22 months. So the 48v battery could run other stuff I guess but couldn’t start truck.

It can start the truck as it does every start/stop once running. Ram made the decision to not let it perform the initial cold start. The only reason I ever heard was due to the Li-Ion battery properties in very cold climates where a standard battery performs much better. What you experienced is solely due to Ram decisions, not true capability.

zlman

Reaction score
I had to jump mine twice in a week recently. The electronics inside don't like that, lost settings, electronic gauges disappear. Took it in, dealer replaced battery.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It can start the truck as it does every start/stop once running. Ram made the decision to not let it perform the initial cold start. The only reason I ever heard was due to the Li-Ion battery properties in very cold climates where a standard battery performs much better. What you experienced is solely due to Ram decisions, not true capability.
If that's the case, I wish they'd allow eTorque to do cold starts above a certain temperature threshold. Surely it's not always going to be disadvantageous.

Boston

Reaction score
I once was asked to jump start a Toyota hybrid. Apparently the hybrid battery can't do that kind of stuff. Two very distinct power systems.
I just shook my head, laughed and did it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had to jump mine twice in a week recently. The electronics inside don't like that, lost settings, electronic gauges disappear. Took it in, dealer replaced battery.

I do apologize for the trouble you had to experience, @cc_ram_limited & @zlman. Should you ever need to work with your dealers again down the road, we are always a PM away to get you set up with further support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

titan3636

Reaction score
I do apologize for the trouble you had to experience, @cc_ram_limited & @zlman. Should you ever need to work with your dealers again down the road, we are always a PM away to get you set up with further support for that process.

Mark
RamCares
I’m having the same issue. Battery with 22k miles wouldn’t crank in the mall parking lot today. Had to get a jump, drove home and it’s dead again. Going to jump it off in the am and take it to the dealership in hopes they’ll replace it under warranty and get me back on the road.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue. Battery with 22k miles wouldn’t crank in the mall parking lot today. Had to get a jump, drove home and it’s dead again. Going to jump it off in the am and take it to the dealership in hopes they’ll replace it under warranty and get me back on the road.
Hey there!

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer, please DM us!

Callie
Ram Cares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought cold start operations came just from the 12v battery
Correct. It uses the 12v battery and main starter when starting with the push button or remote starting with the fob. Only the stop/start operation uses the 48v battery and etorque motor/generator.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks.
jump starting procedure is the same,

but the battery in our truck from factory are not that good, sometimes, it was reported here in this forum, that when the battery went dead it wasent possible to jump started it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If a battery has a dead cell or internal short, it can't be jumped.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like to Watch Truck Centrals long term updates. He has over 190K on this truck and uses it in the oil fields.

Users who are viewing this thread