5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

July 2023 Map updates out

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Now we’re talking about two different things though.
Lack of cellular data is the reason for downloading offline maps, not lack of gps signal.
If neither the truck nor the phone have gps signal, then your actual location on the map will be inaccurate, whether it’s on a downloaded offline map, or native TomTom maps on the radio.
100% correct yes.
Same thing i'm saying.
Cell signal, gps signal, and carplay's bluetooth connection are 3 differnet things.

I responded to someone saying that the truck's nav would work better then the phones nav which wouldn't work.
Google maps stores offline maps I think for 12 months before I auto-downloads an updated version.

If you're in an area without cell service car-play won't work. But your truck's nav will still work. I've always preferred nav systems as they always work. This is the first vehicle I've owned that has live updates for traffic, and it works well. Last weekend we were driving through a big city on the highway, it alerted me to a traffic delay up ahead, so I got off the highway and it re-routed me around it.

Cesar592

Reaction score
I've tried downloading it several times but it doesn't seem to work

23RAM

Reaction score
I've tried downloading it several times but it doesn't seem to work
Make sure you're getting all 5 files:

cliffsta

Reaction score
Successfully updated my 2023 Rebel this afternoon. Took maybe 45 minutes to download the files last night to my computer. Right at 30 minutes to install in the truck this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_8813.jpeg
    IMG_8813.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8814.jpeg
    IMG_8814.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 18

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Successfully updated my 2023 Rebel this afternoon. Took maybe 45 minutes to download the files last night to my computer. Right at 30 minutes to install in the truck this afternoon.
I am hoping my new 2024 that I should pick up in about two weeks has the latest maps installed. But I am making a note of this thread to do the update in the future when applicable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am hoping my new 2024 that I should pick up in about two weeks has the latest maps installed. But I am making a note of this thread to do the update in the future when applicable.
Unlikely will be up to date, but it's easy to check.

And it's not like maps change very often, it's more of speed limits getting fixed, and new exit sign numbers etc.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I just successfully updated to the new maps.

It went very smoothly.
I have spent way too much time trying to update my maps on the 23 Ram. Once downloaded do you have to unzip the files.
Plugged in 128gb stick and it did nothing, so now unzipping all of the files to try again later
When formatting the USB drive are you using exFat. I am doing something wrong!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have spent way too much time trying to update my maps on the 23 Ram. Once downloaded do you have to unzip the files.
Plugged in 128gb stick and it did nothing, so now unzipping all of the files to try again later
I format as NTFS as exfat doesn't seem to work.
Nothing should be zipped for maps, everything on the root of the drive (no folders)

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I've been using FAT32. Yes, ACC or ON.

These are the only files you should have on your flash drive.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 151242.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the truck need to be running or just in ACC mode?
Needs to be in ON then plug the drive in.
Note when you go from ON to off, and then on again it restarts power on the USB ports, and will fail the update and need to start over.

IE if you are driving and turn the truck off it will keep going for a few minutes, but if you turn the truck off then go back into ON power will reset and update will need to start over.
Takes 30 minutes.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Needs to be in ON then plug the drive in.
Note when you go from ON to off, and then on again it restarts power on the USB ports, and will fail the update and need to start over.

IE if you are driving and turn the truck off it will keep going for a few minutes, but if you turn the truck off then go back into ON power will reset and update will need to start over.
Takes 30 minutes.

I installed a map update in ACC, but ACC times out after 30 minutes. At 28 minutes, I put the ignition into the ON position to finish the update without interrupting the power. The easiest way is just to upload the maps when you know you'll be driving for 30-35 minutes.

Av1

Reaction score
I just updated right now to the latest version.

I use FAT32 to format my thumbdrive as per the Stellantis instructions for RAM. I unzipped the files and copied the files to the thumbdrive (the ones in IdahoKTM's photo).

I put the ignition in the ON position, turned on the radio, and inserted the thumbdrive and followed the prompts on the screen. It took me a little under 30 minutes to finish the install.

I keep my battery on a maintainer so it was fine with me leaving the ignition ON for 30 minutes.

Philth

Reaction score
I've been using FAT32. Yes, ACC or ON.
My power saver wouldn't let me sit with ACC or ON. Engine had to be running. Tried both power states and the vehicle cut off on me after a little while.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
I just updated right now to the latest version.

I use FAT32 to format my thumbdrive as per the Stellantis instructions for RAM. I unzipped the files and copied the files to the thumbdrive (the ones in IdahoKTM's photo).

I put the ignition in the ON position, turned on the radio, and inserted the thumbdrive and followed the prompts on the screen. It took me a little under 30 minutes to finish the install.

I keep my battery on a maintainer so it was fine with me leaving the ignition ON for 30 minutes.
Man I have my Surface Pro out and going from iMac to Windows is eating me alive. So we do have to unzip the files before placing on the thumb drive?

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
Man I have my Surface Pro out and going from iMac to Windows is eating me alive. So we do have to unzip the files before placing on the thumb drive?
Woke up feeling great, removed the MS Edge from thumb drive and 12/2023 maps are updating.
No need to unzip anything just format your thumb drive in Fat32 and if using a Surface Pro you have to remove the MS Edge file. When you click on this file it is written in MS DOS, tells you it is from TomTom and much more information.
Enough computer BS now to hop in MH and head to the Gulf!

Attachments

• IMG_4875.jpeg
    IMG_4875.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread