5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jscan - making changes

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I finally have the equipment and license to use Jscan on my truck. I’ve got 275/60r20 tires. Went to make the changes using Jscan, so I measured my tires manually. It looks like they measure 32” with a tape measure. Is this weird? This is what my ecu setting currently has:

IMG_4776.jpeg
So was my speedo off before I got my tires?

Working on some light functions now.

I have purchased the following to allow changes to my truck with Jscan

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows https://a.co/d/j0lv6yQ

Cable Adapter Compatible with... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP17H91X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I enabled the turn signal DRLs (I’d like to try fog light DRLs but I think someone said that doesn’t work?), and disabled fog light drop out with the high beams. That worked great! Gonna see what else would be worth changing.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I finally have the equipment and license to use Jscan on my truck. I’ve got 275/60r20 tires. Went to make the changes using Jscan, so I measured my tires manually. It looks like they measure 32” with a tape measure. Is this weird? This is what my ecu setting currently has:

View attachment 166545

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows https://a.co/d/j0lv6yQ

Cable Adapter Compatible with... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP17H91X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks
Depends on what size you had before. If you had 275/55/20 before, the difference in height is only about 1/2 inch. I think the stock 22s are even closer. Whatever the two tire sizes are, go to tiresize.com and there is a size compare page. Shows comparisons with height width and circumference between any sizes.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

View attachment 166545

Thanks

Have you compared your indicated speed on your speedometer with GPS speed? I downloaded a GPS app to my phone and when I installed my 33" tires, the speedo was 2-3 MPH slower than the GPS. My 33's measured out to ~32.5". The stock 32" tires measured ~31.5".

I'm not sure if Jscan has the same capability as AlfaOBD, but I activated the tailgate ajar warning in the EVIC.

Tailgate Ajar.jpg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I enabled the turn signal DRLs (I’d like to try fog light DRLs but I think someone said that doesn’t work?), and disabled fog light drop out with the high beams. That worked great! Gonna see what else would be worth changing.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to do the fog light dropout with high beams. Did you do the amber DRL's like this?

20230902_102604.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on what size you had before. If you had 275/55/20 before, the difference in height is only about 1/2 inch. I think the stock 22s are even closer. Whatever the two tire sizes are, go to tiresize.com and there is a size compare page. Shows comparisons with height width and circumference between any sizes.
That’s what I had before. Tire size says it’s 33’s. That’s what’s confusing.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you compared your indicated speed on your speedometer with GPS speed? I downloaded a GPS app to my phone and when I installed my 33" tires, the speedo was 2-3 MPH slower than the GPS. My 33's measured out to ~32.5". The stock 32" tires measured ~31.5".

I'm not sure if Jscan has the same capability as AlfaOBD, but I activated the tailgate ajar warning in the EVIC.

View attachment 166550
Haven’t done that yet, and I didn’t get to measure my previous tires but I’ll try it. I have Waze, maybe that’ll work?

My truck already had tailgate warning on the dash, so didn’t even think of that one. Thx

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Haven’t done that yet, and I didn’t get to measure my previous tires but I’ll try it. I have Waze, maybe that’ll work?

My truck already had tailgate warning on the dash, so didn’t even think of that one. Thx

Yep, Waze will work but don't plug in your phone to your truck because the GPS data will be wrong.

Yeah, the little tailgate open light in the corner is too obscure. The animated splash screen is much more obvious and can be canceled with the OK button on your steering wheel.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep, Waze will work but don't plug in your phone to your truck because the GPS data will be wrong.

Yeah, the little tailgate open light in the corner is too obscure. The animated splash screen is much more obvious and can be canceled with the OK button on your steering wheel.
Yup that’s how mine acts. Anything worth changing? I’m still searching for cool stuff

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yup that’s how mine acts. Anything worth changing? I’m still searching for cool stuff

I really can't think of anything else. The bigger items like Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Spot Monitoring can be added, but are much more involved.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really can't think of anything else. The bigger items like Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Spot Monitoring can be added, but are much more involved.
Yea. I’m not going to be adding anything like that. Was thinking of making the mirrors auto fold when turning off the truck. I’d also like to try the fogs as DRLs again. Maybe someone can confirm if that works or not.

I’ll let you know if I find anything else cool

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yea. I’m not going to be adding anything like that. Was thinking of making the mirrors auto fold when turning off the truck. I’d also like to try the fogs as DRLs again. Maybe someone can confirm if that works or not.

I’ll let you know if I find anything else cool
The mirrors won't auto fold with AlfaOBD or JScan. That's a live feature of Tazer DT. With the plastic gears in our mirrors, I wouldn't want them cycling that many times anyway.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The mirrors won't auto fold with AlfaOBD or JScan. That's a live feature of Tazer DT. With the plastic gears in our mirrors, I wouldn't want them cycling that many times anyway.
True. The search goes on!

6of36

Reaction score
That’s what I had before. Tire size says it’s 33’s. That’s what’s confusing.
I think it matters how the measurement is taken. It will differ off the vehicle, on the vehicle, when the tire bulges from the weight, and spinning, where it grows. Who knows how they use for setting. tiresize.com at least uses the same method to give the comparisons. The best way to get it close, is just see what the settings are when you start, and adjust by the difference on the site. You really have to check with GPS, to fine tune.

6of36

Reaction score
My buddy folds his every time he parks, even in his driveway. Almost 3 years now, with no issue. I think the bigger issue, is if you go to a car wash, and the idiot attendant tries to push them in.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think it matters how the measurement is taken. It will differ off the vehicle, on the vehicle, when the tire bulges from the weight, and spinning, where it grows. Who knows how they use for setting. tiresize.com at least uses the same method to give the comparisons. The best way to get it close, is just see what the settings are when you start, and adjust by the difference on the site. You really have to check with GPS, to fine tune.
Good point. The app wants me to measure with the tire on the truck. According to Waze it’s about 1 mph off at 55. Tire size says it should be off 1.7mph. I’ve also got std load range tires, so the tread isn’t quite as deep as 10 ply tires. I’ve set it to 32.5” and will test again.

According to simpletire
IMG_4782.jpeg

Thanks!

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My buddy folds his every time he parks, even in his driveway. Almost 3 years now, with no issue. I think the bigger issue, is if you go to a car wash, and the idiot attendant tries to push them in.
Shouldn't be going for a touch carwash if you care about your truck to start with... Touchfree doesn't have an attendant at any I have ever been to.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I guess I'll never know if folding them every time I park or having someone accidentally fold them damages the gears. I don't see the logic in folding my mirrors every time I park and I never go through a car wash. However, I did accidentally fold my Laramie mirrors manually, forward and back, and it didn't damage them.

Jako

Reaction score
Nov. 24th will be 5 yrs of ownership and currently has 37,000 miles. I always fold in the mirrors (via mirror button) when I park. Environmental conditions (mostly negligent people) necessitate a habit to have the mirrors tucked. I take necessary actions to clear the mirrors of ice and snow, no car washes, and avoid manual movement, although it has happened occasionally. No issues, so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread