5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jerk and clacking sound from transmission (???) when cold.

Konrad

Reaction score
My 2019 5.7 eTorque has contracted a weird syndrom recently. When I start it cold in the morning (in 30F-ish weather) and put it in D or R after letting the engine run for some 20-30 seconds, there's a perceptible jerk forward (or backward, accordingly) and a weird noise starts, something like clack-clack-clack-clack... Almost like a bad lifter, but it stops clacking if I put the transmission back in P or N. It also goes away after the truck gets warmer after couple minutes.

There aren't any transmission or engine performance problems, the shifts are smooth, no slipping, no other weird sounds or anything. Just this weird noise and the "initial" jerk every morning, neither of which was there before. It started suddenly, one cold-ish morning.

Any ideas, guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Would u happen to have a video of this sound? I can’t say I’ve heard this one on mine but it does make some weird exterior noises that I’ve never heard any vehicle do before. The clacking u described reminds me of someone I knew who had an F150 and their exhaust manifold would make a similar sound until warmed up. Here’s what I found on YouTube. It happens to be a RAM lol. Is this the sound ur hearing?

Konrad

Reaction score
@Mr. Hindsight you may be onto something here. Now that I'm thinking of it, the sound isn't "hard" and mechanical (like two metal things hitting each other) - it might as well be a sound of pressure being released. The only thing that concerns me is that it kicks in only when I put the truck in gear.

I'll try to make a video and report back. Thanks for the pointer!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2019 5.7 eTorque has contracted a weird syndrom recently. When I start it cold in the morning (in 30F-ish weather) and put it in D or R after letting the engine run for some 20-30 seconds, there's a perceptible jerk forward (or backward, accordingly) and a weird noise starts, something like clack-clack-clack-clack... Almost like a bad lifter, but it stops clacking if I put the transmission back in P or N. It also goes away after the truck gets warmer after couple minutes.

There aren't any transmission or engine performance problems, the shifts are smooth, no slipping, no other weird sounds or anything. Just this weird noise and the "initial" jerk every morning, neither of which was there before. It started suddenly, one cold-ish morning.

Any ideas, guys?

Hi @Konrad - I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, we are more than happy to provide you with an extra layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

flyt tarpon

Reaction score
I am curious if the condition I am experiencing could be the same issue. It only occurs on a cold start (not really cold, I'm in FL) and gets loud when I shift the vehicle into gear, either forward or reverse. It subsides when the engine/trans warms up. I took it to the dealer and after two weeks they said it was normal Hemi operation. I didn't make the noise until recently. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer.

Konrad

Reaction score
I am curious if the condition I am experiencing could be the same issue. It only occurs on a cold start (not really cold, I'm in FL) and gets loud when I shift the vehicle into gear, either forward or reverse. It subsides when the engine/trans warms up. I took it to the dealer and after two weeks they said it was normal Hemi operation. I didn't make the noise until recently. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer.

Sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi @flyt tarpon - If you do move forward with addressing this with another dealer, we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

flyt tarpon

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.

I am attempting to upload a video that I made before taking the vehicle to the dealer. When I figure out how to post it you can let me know it what you think.

Konrad

Reaction score
Hopefully this link will work.

2019 Ram Noise
Thank you for uploading this!
Yep. This is it. Mine is somewhat less pronounced, but it is exactly the same noise.

Haven't taken her to the dealer yet - other than this noise, I have no issues and am quite happy with the truck. I'm sure they'll try and sell me their good old "normal operation" thing.

If you take yours in before I do, please keep me posted! Thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

d19r93

Reaction score
Which noise is it? I hear the 3 "clicks" right after it starts, which is the 4x4 doing a "check" but after that I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

Konrad

Reaction score
Which noise is it? I hear the 3 "clicks" right after it starts, which is the 4x4 doing a "check" but after that I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.
There's this characteristic "clack-clack-clack..." or maybe "knock-knock-knock..." noise that starts after he steps on brakes, puts it in gear and the engine slows down a bit. It goes away when he puts it in neutral.

My truck contracted it only couple weeks ago. Are you saying yours sounds the same? Getting curious and curiouser :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

flyt tarpon

Reaction score
Took my vehicle to the dealer finally and after almost two weeks they said "it's ready, the sound is normal for the 5.7". So I drove it home, after the 72 mile trip and parked it. I started it up a couple of days later and the same nose is there. Now I can hear it a couple of blocks away from my home as it is heating up. Somethings not right.

So, I started a case with Ram Cares and took it back 36 miles, to the dealer. Sent the video to the Service Writer, and he documented it all. Two days later I get a call, the technicians cannot duplicate the noise. So I drove back to the dealer the next morning to do a cold start with the tech. Unfortunately the tech was in the transmission area and said it wasn't the trans, it had to go to the "Engine Area". Drove back home. A couple of days later, after contacting Ram Cares, I got a call "Vehicle is ready, Normal noise for the 5.7". So I had my son drive me back up to get the vehicle. Brought it home and parked it again. the next morning I went out and started it, same noise, maybe worse. Now I'm pissed. I've driven 432 miles to and from the dealer.

Next day I went out and pulled the drivers side inner wheel well and used a small vacuum to pressurize the exhaust in hopes to find a leak at the manifold but nothing. I can see carbon deposits around the #7 port bu not the #5. Put it all back together.

I am now looking for an alternate dealer to take it to. Problem is that most of the reviews I read on the Star dealers aren't that good. More to come.

ldoh

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Unfortunately clackity, clack, clack is normal on startup.

kd908070

Reaction score
My truck does the same thing. There is a noise clack-clack-clack-clack whenever I drive it under 5mph or even when I just start shift it from P to R or D.
The noise goes away if I drive faster than 5mph, but it start the clack-clack-clack-clack again when I slow down under 5mph or shift from D to P.
Is that normal for 2019 RAM 1500 V8 5.7 Hemi 4WD?

DSN46

Reaction score
Mine does this too! When in gear (D or R) it gets really loud. Did you ever find out the cause? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread