5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues at 2000 miles

Blueraptor

Reaction score
My ram had been at the dealership this week while they try to figure out why the backup camera isn't working. First they tried a software update and when that wasn't successful they started checking wiring and modules. They said they had it isolated to a wiring harness from that cab to the camera and ordered the part. The part came in, they replaced it and the issue is still present. Now they want to replace the front half of the harness but they are telling me the part is backordered. I picked up my truck this morning because I figured I would rather have is sitting at home in a garage than sitting outside on their lot for the next couple weeks. When I started it up I noticed a new sound it wasn't making previously. At first I thought it sounded like an exhaust leak but couldn't pinpoint it. When I got it home and in the garage the sound was more noticeable. It is coming from under the truck at idle and the best way I can describe it is it sounds like a washing machine running off balance. Has anyone else experienced a noise like this with their trucks and if so what was it?
As far as the camera issues, is this standard practice for them to just tear into wiring on a brand new truck and start replacing sections until the problem goes away? Should I be worried about potential electrical issues down the road from this? Are there other options I have to consider here? My confidence in this truck, the Ram brand and my dealership are taking a serious hit. Is it unreasonable to expect new truck to work as advertised and for issues to be resolved without multiple trips to the dealership and multiple unsuccessful attempts?

j517

Reaction score
State of CA 3 attempts to repair with failure equals A BIG FAT LEMON LEMON LAW. most lightly FCA will give u cash to go away and make repairs documentation is critical

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

GerryS

Reaction score
It seems like the troubleshooting failed. When you can't troubleshoot, you are reduced to swapping parts until fixed.
It seems that some dealers pay for good mechanics, and some only pay for people who can read the obd codes.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
The problem is the service techs are hardly that. They read from a list of pre ordained rules they must follow. This hardly a system of identifying a problem and working actively to find the best solution.

It’s a system of training. They (dealers regardless of manufacturer) with the exception of the high ends brands found it cheaper to train people to follow a checklist and save the company money at the expensive of the customers time.

Intuitive and critical thought are gone if you visit the service centers.

How many times have you ever heard a tech or service writer come out and say “well we thought this could be the issue so we focused on that area and solved what we think could be the root or part of the issue

Hardly ever

More often you find “we called XYZ and they suggest this”

So yes it’s a lot to ask and no I wouldn’t expect a lot to change.

Forums and DIY are your best bet to give them at the very least a direction to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
That is so true wish u the best have u tried another stelership where are u at what state if you in so cal orange coast is great the service mgr fergie is knowledgeable

GerryS

Reaction score
The problem is the service techs are hardly that. They read from a list of pre ordained rules they must follow. This hardly a system of identifying a problem and working actively to find the best solution.

It’s a system of training. They (dealers regardless of manufacturer) with the exception of the high ends brands found it cheaper to train people to follow a checklist and save the company money at the expensive of the customers time.

How many times have you ever heard a tech or service writer come out and say “well we thought this could be the issue so we focused on that area and solved what we think could be the root or part of the issue

Hardly ever

Forums and DIY are your best bet to give them at the very least a direction to start.

I had to laugh...
I wonder if some of these techs are on the phone to some helpline in India or somewhere and have to
work through a flowchart...

Cheers
Gerry

j517

Reaction score
I had to laugh...
I wonder if some of these techs are on the phone to some helpline in India or somewhere and have to

Cheers
Gerry
LMAO

Blueraptor

Reaction score

Hardly ever

Thanks I've tried to point them in the direction of the cvpm module based on what I have read from others with similar issues on this forum. But when I suggest it the response I get is that the technician working on it has over 30 years experience and he will figure it out. It's a frustrating experience to say the least.

GerryS

Reaction score
Thanks I've tried to point them in the direction of the cvpm module based on what I have read from others with similar issues on this forum. But when I suggest it the response I get is that the technician working on it has over 30 years experience and he will figure it out. It's a frustrating experience to say the least.
Well, those backup cams haven't been around for thirty years.
To be fair, working on these vehicles nowadays us an ever changing deal. Those guys have to work on old stuff as well as the "cutting edge" new stuff. With a new model, there probably is no training until someone figures out how to fix the problem, and puts it in the flowchart.

Gerry

R

Rob5589

In defense of techs (used to be one a loooong time ago) new vehicles are so computer/electronic based, it is extremely difficult to pinpoint problems a lot of the time. Hell, you have to know how to wrench and be an IT guy to work on today's stuff. Look at it this way, the factory assembled thousands of parts and something got screwed up but, it is somehow the techs fault for not being able to find the problem?

I had to laugh...

Cheers
Gerry
More true than you think. I have been out since the early 90's but even then we had help lines available from engineers and such. I would imagine there is significantly more of it happening today.

GerryS

Reaction score
In defense of techs (used to be one a loooong time ago) new vehicles are so computer/electronic based, it is extremely difficult to pinpoint problems a lot of the time. Hell, you have to know how to wrench and be an IT guy to work on today's stuff. Look at it this way, the factory assembled thousands of parts and something got screwed up but, it is somehow the techs fault for not being able to find the problem?

More true than you think. I have been out since the early 90's but even then we had help lines available from engineers and such. I would imagine there is significantly more of it happening today.
You."The rear view camera isn't working"
Them "Please start the truck and dial to reverse. Is the camera working?"
You "No".
Them."OK. can you tell me the tire pressure in the rear passenger tire?"
You "Yes, 38 psi"
Them."OK Thank you........does the oil on the dipstick show full?"
You, on the cell phone, slam your finger on the hangup button as hard as you can hoping they get the message that you are p&sed...to no avail....

Gerry

j517

Reaction score
You "No".
You "Yes, 38 psi"
You, on the cell phone, slam your finger on the hangup button as hard as you can hoping they get the message that you are p&sed...to no avail....

Gerry
LMAO

R

Rob5589

You "No".
You "Yes, 38 psi"

Gerry
If that was the actual conversation, then maybe find a different shop. I doubt it was a tech, probably the service writer. Were you under the impression they could diagnose your issue over the phone?
I am in no way saying every tech is on their game 100%. Just that everyone seems to think, plug in to the OBD and "ta-dah!" everything is fixed. It doesn't happen that way. And again, it isn't the techs fault your camera is f'd up. He didn't build the truck.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
Just to update this post. The noise the truck was making when I got it back from the first repair attempt was a vacuum line on the top side of the fuel tank they had missed hooking back up after they installed the wiring harness. The camera issues are now fixed, it required removing the interior of the cab and replacing the entire body harness. It took a couple attempts for them to diagnose and correct the issue but they did get it fixed. I'm sure when wiring is what is causing the issue it can be difficult to pinpoint where is it at so I shouldn't be too hard on the Technicians. FCA Customer Care did throw in a 6/100K MaxCare warranty for my troubles and to ease my mind about any future issues with the wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread