5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is your Dealership tracking your truck without your knowledge?

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Do you have any evidence at all that this is being done? Like an employee or published report showing it is being done.

Not to be a downer but you can be tracked by many things.

W9MCP

Reaction score

djwdjw

Reaction score
Rammit, This is part of the UConnect system. I am still receiving them on the truck I traded as well as the new one.

Yep, Uconnect provides info up to (presumably FCA) on your mileage. And Uconnect also provides you, the owner, with location information through the Uconnect smartphone app.

So why does the dealer need to install his own GPS tracker with his own tracking app? Covering the costs of his own inventory management system is probably a big reason. And in watching this video...

check out at 3:15 where they report, among other things, "mileage interval information" on sold customers. How do they get this info...

This other dealer-installed GPS tracker (i.e. "theft recovery system") is incapable of sending your odometer data or anything on the CAN bus - all it is sending is essentially periodic time/location information. The only way the Dealer can get "mileage interval information" from this Apex system is by "connecting the dots": tracking your trips and aggregating calculated mileage from a known starting point (mileage when vehicle was sold).

I get that everything is tracked these days and Uconnect pushes all this data around, but this hidden Dealer-installed GPS tracker is something different altogether - it's functional purpose is a location tracker and the functions behind it in the cloud are available to someone somewhere (not FCA) and there are no other services bundled in of any appreciable value.

TruckFoo

Reaction score
I have been getting monthly service reports indicating the “health of my truck” including mileage and tire pressure. Not sure if that’s part of u connect or something else
There is a function on the Uconnect system that will monitor your tire pressure, oil and gas usage and mileage

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been getting monthly service reports indicating the “health of my truck” including mileage and tire pressure. Not sure if that’s part of u connect or something else

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm attempting to use the search function on the site. Are you able to see the Vehicle Health Report under your Mopar account via UConnect? Mine has never worked. My dealer told me today: I talked to my Ram rep yesterday when he was in and the Health Report as well as the Maintenance Records are not available to activate at this time. We don't know when.

Dealer BS or the truth? Anyone have the Vehicle Health Report and Maintenance Records showing up in their accounts?

geotex1

Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm attempting to use the search function on the site. Are you able to see the Vehicle Health Report under your Mopar account via UConnect? Mine has never worked. My dealer told me today: I talked to my Ram rep yesterday when he was in and the Health Report as well as the Maintenance Records are not available to activate at this time. We don't know when.

Dealer BS or the truth? Anyone have the Vehicle Health Report and Maintenance Records showing up in their accounts?

I've had no maintenance but I can tell you without any doubt that the Health Reports are fully functional both on the app and on the website. I also got my first monthly health update today via app notifications and email to my registered account. Your dealer is probably shoveling some :poop:!

Last edited:

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had no maintenance but I can tell you without any doubt that the Health Reports are fully functional both on the app and on the website. I also got my first monthly health update today via app notifications and email to my registered account. Your dealer is shoveling some :poop:!
Do you have the 12 inch screen? There was supposed to be a problem with it working versus the 8.4

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 12" and have had no health reports.. contacted FCA through the website chat and the gave me a case #.
That was just over 2 weeks ago.

Zinger

Reaction score
My latest weekly health report informed me via the "upcoming maintenance" section that it'll be time soon for a new battery! I guess they have bugs in the home systems too. :)

djwdjw

Reaction score
There is a function on the Uconnect system that will monitor your tire pressure, oil and gas usage and mileage

I've never seen this coming from Uconnect/Mopar. Can you share a screen shot of what the report looks like? Mine says it's not capable.

1545363722543.png

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I haven’t tried to look yet. I’ll try to look it up and see but I would think there is a history that I can access

rodnocker1

Reaction score
New to the Forum and just found the thread, so.....
I just made a loop down through Houston, back up to Bryan/College Station and back home, looking to buy a new 2018 4X4 2500. I won't name the Dealership in Houston (Txmbxll Dxxge) that had an internet price listed, but when it came time for the final price (I was trying to pay cash and at 1st, they said they couldn't take cash/check, that I had to Finance) they tried to add on a spray-in bedliner and an APEX GPS Theft Recovery System. I told them I neither wanted or needed either addon, especially the Apex. The SalesMan said "Well, it's already in the truck....". I told him that they put it in the truck, then just take it out- Again, I don't need it or want it. I told him this several times and he continued to insist "But it's already in the truck!......What are you going to do if your truck gets stolen?!?!?". I told him I carry full insurance and my Insurance Company will replace the vehicle.
He refused to take off the price of the APEX Tracker and the bedliner, so I walked.....and he lost a sale. But there are no telling how many people they've managed to pull that scam on, at $795.00 per vehicle for the Tracker.

djwdjw

Reaction score
New to the Forum and just found the thread, so.....
I just made a loop down through Houston, back up to Bryan/College Station and back home, looking to buy a new 2018 4X4 2500. I won't name the Dealership in Houston (Txmbxll Dxxge) that had an internet price listed, but when it came time for the final price (I was trying to pay cash and at 1st, they said they couldn't take cash/check, that I had to Finance) they tried to add on a spray-in bedliner and an APEX GPS Theft Recovery System. I told them I neither wanted or needed either addon, especially the Apex. The SalesMan said "Well, it's already in the truck....". I told him that they put it in the truck, then just take it out- Again, I don't need it or want it. I told him this several times and he continued to insist "But it's already in the truck!......What are you going to do if your truck gets stolen?!?!?". I told him I carry full insurance and my Insurance Company will replace the vehicle.
He refused to take off the price of the APEX Tracker and the bedliner, so I walked.....and he lost a sale. But there are no telling how many people they've managed to pull that scam on, at $795.00 per vehicle for the Tracker.

Interesting that this dealership is part of the Keating Auto Group, as was my dealership doing the same exact thing in the same exact way. They apparently own Apex also.

Your experience seems to be similar to others elsewhere leaving Keating dealership reviews.

GRB

Reaction score
Nearly all new vehicle have a GPS, microphone, and are connected as does the smart phone you are carrying. And now we have all kinds of gadgets in our house that are connected and listening not to mention everything we do on our computers is being tracked by cookies. We are being tracked and listened to all the time. We live in a connected world.

Magredvet

Reaction score
Interesting that this dealership is part of the Keating Auto Group, as was my dealership doing the same exact thing in the same exact way. They apparently own Apex also.

Your experience seems to be similar to others elsewhere leaving Keating dealership reviews.
I also bought my vehicle from Tomball Dodge...............an incredibly bad experience.........however, when installing my trailer brake controller, I noticed the dongle on the diagnostic port. I didn't realize what it was until now...............it's being taken out tonight !
I have not subscribed to their Apex service, but I guess it is sending data anyway.
Practices like this should be stopped, but having dealt with that dealership, it's no surprise that they are doing it. it was one of the WORST buying experiences I have ever had.
I too had to finance to get the deal they advertised, but paid it off as soon as the account was active, as their interest rates are also on the high side ............bunch of bandits !!!!

djwdjw

Reaction score
I also bought my vehicle from Tomball Dodge...............an incredibly bad experience.........however, when installing my trailer brake controller, I noticed the dongle on the diagnostic port. I didn't realize what it was until now...............it's being taken out tonight !
I have not subscribed to their Apex service, but I guess it is sending data anyway.

Yeah, I could not get them to remove the tracker either or take that "package" of junk off, like the below example, even thought they got to my target price they still netted it out charging a few hundred dollars.

The dealership tracker was easy to remove.

IMG_1104.jpg

das

Reaction score
Anyone purchasing a car lately seen any similar shenanigans like this at your local dealer? Long story, but I think it makes for an interesting read.

When I started shopping for trucks, one of my nearby dealers had the little “local dealer add-on” sticker addendum that included a couple of things: tint (a few hundred bucks), door edge guard (iirc), and a “theft recovery system for some $1500 ‘retails for $2400’)”. I never pay any attention to these things and if I offer for the car I tell them to remove or forget all that stuff.

I was curious about what the “theft recovery system” was because for the last 5 years or so all of our other work vehicles have used these little inexpensive OBD-II gps “dongles” that are dirt cheap, depending on the service you use free to < $100, with a small fee for the tracking app to know what is up with everyone without guessing. Many services out there to provide these today.

So I asked them what this “theft recovery system” was *exactly* and got a bunch of nebulous responses and dealer mumbo jumbo about their “Apex system”. I told them if it was just some $25 OBD-driven gps dongle they were trying to peddle for $1500, just unplug it and keep it. The last thing I wanted is some dealer gizmo to track me for the dealer’s unknown purpose. Uconnect services can already do that for FCA. You’d have thought I’d asked the dealer for their first born and over the course of the negotiations they finally gave it away “for free”, but didn’t remove it. I figured it would take me 30 seconds to remove it so I agreed and thought I would do the research and share what they were up to.

After I bought the truck it has rained non-stop, so I put off until a dry day to discover their “$2500 Theft Recover System”. I did feel under the dash for the OBDII port and it was not where it was supposed to be. I shot a couple of phone pics up under the dash (was dark and raining) to see what I could see – some odd stuff, and filed that away.

The day after purchasing the truck I got an email from “Apex Protect” about enrollment and a free 5-year service for their tracking service via their web site and smartphone app. It is similar to the other services we have already used but rough around the edges of the app and way off in the mileage it calculates on trips. But it does work to track the location and trips of your truck, not entirely dissimilar to the other services I’ve used. So sure enough, this was the dealer’s tracker turned product.

Doing some research on the internet shows https://apexprotectiongps.com and their main role is services to their members (dealers) in tracking their inventory. Along with that is tracking and other info provided back to dealers after the car is sold. Boggles my mind that they would be providing tracking info dealers on cars they have sold. I am sure part of the game is that it is no cost to dealers if they can get the customers to pay for it. I think this is a creepy process the dealers are pulling behind the customers back – surprise surprise.

Searched for other dealer installed gps tracker removals and found this post by a Toyota truck owner:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/260475-finding-removing-gps-tracker.html

It was a nice day finally today, so I removed the panel under the dash and extracted the “Apex tracker” (see photos below). It’s a dongle plugged into a OBD y-harness and it has its own lithium battery to continue to send data when the truck is off. The truck’s OBD plug was removed from the bracket in the cover and plugged into the tracker’s harness and all zip tied and velcro’d to a support member right behind where the OBD plug should have been. I removed it and put the original OBD plug back in its bracket.

Basically the same unit the Toyota owner found. The FCC ID pointed back to the manufacturer: http://connected-holdings.com/portfolio/, and there are docs on the unit there. These folks have related companies, example as https://www.connecteddealerservices.com/en/home/ , https://www.connecteddealerservices.com/en/customer-vehicle-connection/

If you dig around these web sites, my guess is that you’ll get the same impression I did in that the dealer gets inventory tracking (basically for free since he normally pushes the highly inflated cost on to the unsuspecting buyer) and then continues to get info of some kind from the provider (location? Mileage? Driving habits? They are all tracked). I think it is a(nother) sleezeball move by dealers to put this stuff on and monitor you without disclosure.

I don’t really get bent out of shape by the manufacturers getting tracking data when it is known and logically acknowledged for the most part – the Uconnect thing with FCA. I also have a 5-year old Tesla Model S and it’s widely known that the car communicates with the Tesla mothership *all the time* and gets a constant stream of enhancements, updates, and pushes buckets of operational data back to the manufacturer.

I am curious if anyone else has run into this dealership practice? Might be worth taking a phone pic or two under your dash or checking out where your OBD-II port is and what's plugged into it upstream. Especially if you bought from the dealership in Grapevine.

View attachment 6714 View attachment 6715
thank you for posting this. Yes...I bought a truck in Grapevine last April and it has the Apex unit. Today at lunch I looked under the dash and low and behold....a tie wrapped device "Y'd" into my OBD port. At first I liked this, but not if 3rd party is monitoring. Then....there's the wife who monitors my every move. GRRRRRRR!!!! Don't get me started on that one. Going to disconnect it and watch for alert on my phone to make sure communicating. Then....it's coming out and sitting in the house, might resale it or just take a sledgehammer to it.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score

I get this too but I did not pay for anything extra. It’s called RAM VHR and as I understand is part of RAM service

As long as it doesn’t cost me money and doesn’t affect my truck I D.G.A.F - they want to track my truck they can or me through my phone - my criminal days are over hopefully :)

I think it’s unethical to say the least and if I find one I’ll pitch it

Thank you to the OP for sharing - great forum guys & dolls

das

Reaction score
Yeah, I could not get them to remove the tracker either or take that "package" of junk off, like the below example, even thought they got to my target price they still netted it out charging a few hundred dollars.

The dealership tracker was easy to remove.

View attachment 23669
yep...Grapevine Dodge....and I bought an F150 from them (sorry guys).

Users who are viewing this thread