5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this ok?

Emiliomcol

Reaction score
Good day to all! I just wanted to get opinions on this, I took my 2022 big Horne for oil change and they are recommending to change the drive shaft and driver side rear axle since is leaking oil. Both things are covered under warranty but still a one year old truck which is a pavement queen and no towing ever, is this normal to happen or is just bad luck?

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You didn't say how many miles, so I guess if it's covered by warranty okay to replace, but it isn't normal for either of these parts to be early fail.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Well, driveshafts and axles dont leak oil, seals do. Unlikely in your case, but we cant see it. Get another opinion from a pro that can !

Emiliomcol

Reaction score
Currently 26k miles. On the drive shaft the guy mentioned ball bearing failing but need to replace the whole thing and on the axle there is oil on the metal part to the wheel. Sorry if my explanation is vague don’t know the mechanic terms.

Thanks

Fbird

Reaction score
take it to a dealer MAYBE you get an actual mechanic to eventually look at it. As stated above axles do not leak oil the axle shaft SEAL maybe and a driveshaft does not have bearings, other than the needle bearings in the u-joints which are replaceable. No neither of those components SHOULD have an issue at 26k but occasionally someone has to get a less-than-perfect part. It's the law of averages.

Emiliomcol

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Everything it’s covered under warranty is just that both things failed at early stage is disappointing.

Here is the video the dealer send me with the inspection if anyone wants to see what they said.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who cares what they want to replace under warranty. It makes it new to you. Go for it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice interaction/feedback to the customer.
I disagree with the comment about having more thread on the driving axle tires v.s steering.

Users who are viewing this thread