5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal?

Kmarcella4

Reaction score
I bought a brand new 2022 Laramie ecodiesel, activated my off-road and performance pages, which work but only on the evic. As I scrolled through the performance pages, it shows a top speed of 119 mph. Maybe a dumb question that I don’t want to know the answer to, but does that mean my truck hit its top speed in the first 20 miles before I brought it home?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the limit in the PCM is about 105. Feels like the truck just dies when you are still pulling and hit it. I wouldn't think it goes 119.

@BowDown might have a better answer. He is more knowledgeable in the performance side of these trucks.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Pretty sure all of the new trucks show that top speed. I believe it must stem from a system test, since your truck won't even go that fast due to the limiter

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
105mph is where the limiter is set. I believe at 106 the PCM drops the ignition on cylinders to slow the truck. Was it set to possibly kph instead of mph?
Honestly, I'm concerned about driveshaft speeds (jump rope effect) in this truck above 100mph and specifically the fact that it uses a 2 piece driveshaft only secured by a carrier bearing.

Id suspect this 119 mph indicated is an erroneous reading and something default that's done at the factory. If don't believe for a second this trucks been that fast on a factory tune

Essentially, any rotating shaft will reach a point where it will become dynamically unstable. This leads to a “whipping” or “jump-rope” effect that causes violent vibration and ultimately leads to driveshaft failure. Critical Speed is a function of the shaft’s length, material stiffness and tubing diameter.

Last edited:

HemiDude

Reaction score
Here is a link to another thread that discussed the same thing:

Dewey

Reaction score
I highly doubt an ecodiesel will even hit 119 not to mention trucks are governed at 104-105. Gotta be a glitch in the cluster or as mentioned due to electronic testing.

Kmarcella4

Reaction score
You guys are awesome. I had a feeling it was a little odd and I mean, if I was going for top speed, I would have pushed to 120, not stopped at a piddly 119. Thanks for the input everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online