5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal on my diff

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Huh, learned something new today. I always wondered why submerged diffs require a drain and refill, that explains it.

trans is vented as well. I think people that regularly take their trucks swimming relocate it by removing the vent and adding a fitting then connecting that to a hose and raise it up between the cab and the bed or the fuel door area. They bring the trans vent up the firewall in to the engine compartment

23RAM

Reaction score
trans is vented as well
I knew the tranny was vented, which is partly why you're not supposed to drive quickly through deep puddles, but thought the diffs and transfer case were sealed.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I knew the tranny was vented, which is partly why you're not supposed to drive quickly through deep puddles, but thought the diffs and transfer case were sealed.
As the diffs heat up the fluid heats and expands, and vice versa when it cools. With out a vent the fluid would work its way out through the axle seals.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
As the diffs heat up the fluid heats and expands, and vice versa when it cools. With out a vent the fluid would work its way out through the axle seals.

I second this as well as what all the others have said. I have never really encountered a diff that wasn't vented.

Duran

Reaction score
@Duran

Seems normal. The factory orange RTV was excessive on mine when I took off the cover for a look see and fluid change, some of it was sill wet and tacky after three years. The factory paints the assembled axle housing to hide the mess, which probably doesn't stick well to RTV
Makes sense

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I actually want to correct myself, I was wrong. Looked under my truck today and noticed the same as yours, little bit of orange RTV coming through the bolt areas. Looks to be a little bit cleaner of a job than yours but I was wrong or might be wrong. Could be factory what you are looking at. Someone just was a little sloppier.

Users who are viewing this thread