5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal on my diff

Duran

Reaction score
What is the red coloring around the bolts on my diff

Attachments

• 20230830_182604.jpg
    20230830_182604.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 75

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Something i should bring up with the dealer next oil change
I think you are fine. It doesn't look like it is leaking, so I don't see an issue. You can ask them, but it looks fine to me.

23RAM

Reaction score
What is the red coloring around the bolts on my diff
I downloaded the pic and zoomed in, you can clearly see basic surface rust in some areas (not a big deal), and the "red stuff" appears to be sealant.
How old is your truck, and what's the mileage? I'm guess you bought it used with some mileage?

It looks like there was some work done on the diff. Again not a big deal as my SUV blew out the diff (dealer said metal contaminants where in the diff from the factory) and it was replaced at about 5k. It now has 120k on it and still works great.

Unless you have an issue with it, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Duran

Reaction score
Tha ks for the info. Year is 2020 and i bought it woth 30 miles on it new. My truck now has barley 50 k on it

23RAM

Reaction score
Tha ks for the info. Year is 2020 and i bought it woth 30 miles on it new. My truck now has barley 50 k on it
So you bought it new...did you not notice the sealant on the bolts before?
Or is this simply the first time you were looking around under the truck and noticed it?
Or is there an issue that prompted you to look?

Duran

Reaction score
So you bought it new...did you not notice the sealant on the bolts before?
Or is this simply the first time you were looking around under the truck and noticed it?
Or is there an issue that prompted you to look?
Im usually under my truck and wash under it normally too.

Today i was in palm springs and hit some thick mud , while washing under my truck i was spraying the diff down with a normal nossle and noticed the red coming out as i sprayed it. Never happened before when i sprayed it down

23RAM

Reaction score
Today i was in palm springs and hit some thick mud , while washing under my truck i was spraying the diff down with a normal nossle and noticed the red coming out as i sprayed it. Never happened before when i sprayed it down
Ok the diff cover or drain bolts may be loose allowing water intrusion - if you can't check it yourself, take it to a dealer and have it checked and explain the situation. You might have water in the diff heating up and pushing out the sealant.

FYI - any time the diff's or transfer case is submerged, they should be drained and re-filled with fresh gear oil.

Duran

Reaction score
Ok thanks. If i have time tomorrow ill get inder there and check the bolts

BowDown

Reaction score
Im usually under my truck and wash under it normally too.

RTV would not have come out because you were spraying the diff with water. That's always been there or someone opened that diff without your knowledge

BowDown

Reaction score
Ok the diff cover or drain bolts may be loose allowing water intrusion - if you can't check it yourself, take it to a dealer and have it checked and explain the situation. You might have water in the diff heating up and pushing out the sealant.

FYI - any time the diff's or transfer case is submerged, they should be drained and re-filled with fresh gear oil.
No.
Differential housing are vented. The only way sealant was pushed out was during reassembly of the diif cover with excessive RTV

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

I posted in your other thread. Someone cracked the pumpkin open for some reason. None of the 5th gens I've seen have orange RTV coming out like that. I wouldn't worry but it's a convo I'd probably have with the dealer who sold you the truck.

The 5th gens all have drain and fill plugs for the diff. There is no need to crack the pumpkin for fluid changes. With that being said, when guys crack the pumpkin themselves they usually go with a lube-locker gasket instead of RTV when they re-install.

Scram1500

Reaction score
@Duran

Seems normal. The factory orange RTV was excessive on mine when I took off the cover for a look see and fluid change, some of it was sill wet and tacky after three years. The factory paints the assembled axle housing to hide the mess, which probably doesn't stick well to RTV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread