5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there one engine oil better for hemi engine ticking noise?

udontknowjack

Reaction score
Had the infamous hemi engine ticking noise while waiting a long drive Thur line, so a lot of Idling. It went away after driving away some 40 miles home. Took it to dealer and they said they cant find anything wrong. Any idea?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
They use synth blend from factory. I developed the tic in previous vehicles by going to full synth...switched back and it went away.

Have seen others on here mention using better that regular (87 octane) stopped it for them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had the infamous hemi engine ticking noise while waiting a long drive Thur line, so a lot of Idling. It went away after driving away some 40 miles home. Took it to dealer and they said they cant find anything wrong. Any idea?

Sorry for the trouble, @udontknowjack. If you would be willing to follow up with me via private message, I would be happy to learn additional details of your situation to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're just looking for a brand then it's probably Red Line.

Lots of oil threads and with lots of different opinions. Some are mild (specific brand/weight) and others are wild with custom blends of brands, weights, and additives.

Plenty of reading if you are interested but it seems to boil down to the amount moly in the oil. The more moly content the less the tick.

The simplest "solution" is to use Red Line oil. It has a higher content of moly than most of the others. It's a bit pricier than others but if you look at how much a moly additive will cost you're coming out ahead by just going with Red Line.

Bighorned

Reaction score
Been using Penzoil Platinum 5w20 full syn since new and shes quiet as a mouse. Except out the back lol

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You'll probably get as many opinions on this as replies. So I'll chime in with what I'm using. I changed my oil at around 1k miles. Switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w 20 at that time. Almost 4500 miles now, and I haven't heard the tick since the change. But I only ever heard it once before that. I had 22k miles on my 4th gen (2017 Rebel w/hemi). I switched to PUP on that truck when I did the first oil change at 3k miles. Again, no hemi tick after the switch to PUP. That engine did have the tick occasionally. Usually only if I restarted the engine after only being shut down for a short time (less than an hour). But, again, it stopped doing it after changing to PUP.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not interested in custom blending my oil changes and keeping a bunch of containers on my shelf in the garage.

I'm using the "next best thing" with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I hear an occasional brief tick but don't know if it's my imagination, "the tick", or something else.

There is a difference between Pennzoil Platinum (found in abundance at auto parts stores and Wal-Mart) and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP). Make sure you read the label/description to make sure you are getting the one you want.

If it becomes a concern I'll bump up to Red Line.

Firebird

Reaction score
From all of the reading I have done, Redline 5w30 seems to be the one

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't care what sound my engine makes........as long as it KEEPS making it!

Users who are viewing this thread