5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there anyway to increase payload capacity on a 1500?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram will bring out a big torque gasser once the Ford comes out.
This is why I bought another used HEAVY DUTY, so I don't get buyers remorse when this happens.

So far this camping season I haven't seen that guy who has his truck overloaded with the wrong equipment, but this time of year is when the people that are out are more big picture than vacationers.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The easiest/best way to increase load capacity is just by swapping the 1500 for a 2500.
And you still have to be careful then if you need payload.

We're starting to get payload stickers at HDRAMS.COM

A Mega Cab with Cummins has a payload of 1743 pounds. Some 1500 trucks here have more.

Options really add up.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would still love for the Engineers to post what the limiting factor is with the payload. I had 2500Lbs of Payload last week and it didn't change anything noticeable as far as braking, accelleration, squat, cornering, etc.... I personnaly believe they are now padding the numbers with 20% or more safe zone specs partially to sell more expensive HD trucks and also to make towing 10K a more enjoyable experience to the driver.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

A Mega Cab with Cummins has a payload of 1743 pounds. Some 1500 trucks here have more.

Options really add up.
True. Ditch the Cummins and you'll pick up quite a bit of payload I suspect. That's why the new F250 gasser intrigues me.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The easiest/best way to increase load capacity is just by swapping the 1500 for a 2500.

I always thought so too. Until I watch the new TFL Truck video where Andre and Nathan discuss the 2500 and guess what, payload is still only 1500 pounds in a loaded 2500 laramie. A work truck 2500 will get you up to 4000. So. Depends on how you option those trucks up, same story with a 1500.

Last edited:

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an engineering perspective on this... Companies tend to overbuild and understate for their own liability. I am not endorsing anything just pointing out a general engineering philosophy.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Everyone here is right, there's no way to raise the gvwr.... But you can lighten the truck... I'd start by buying lighter wheels and removing skid plates, the spare tire, airbags, one brake pad on each corner, and the fenders.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone here is right, there's no way to raise the gvwr.... But you can lighten the truck... I'd start by buying lighter wheels and removing skid plates, the spare tire, airbags, one brake pad on each corner, and the fenders.
Don't forget the doors. Removing those will save a bunch of weight!

silver billet

Reaction score

You could always try eating more brocolli instead of fry's? Nah, brakepads it is...

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a new video on Youtube with a guy claiming to have the 2nd Tundra with a million miles on it. He's an oilfield hotshotter so I don't doubt his mileage, but anyway, he stated his payload is 1,300 lbs but has hauled 3,000 lbs on a couple of occasions. He's still driving the truck so I guess nothing broke.

Did he get lucky or was he just using the real capability of the truck? Maybe a bit of both?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's a new video on Youtube with a guy claiming to have the 2nd Tundra with a million miles on it. He's an oilfield hotshotter so I don't doubt his mileage, but anyway, he stated his payload is 1,300 lbs but has hauled 3,000 lbs on a couple of occasions. He's still driving the truck so I guess nothing broke.

Did he get lucky or was he just using the real capability of the truck? Maybe a bit of both?
Yes and yes. There’s also a guy on the GM forums who claims he once moved a lowboy with two backhoes about a mile with his pickup, due to having no semi tractor available. He estimated the load at 72K lbs gross. That’s what you call lucky.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always thought so too. Until I watch the new TFL Truck video where Andre and Nathan discuss the 2500 and guess what, payload is still only 1500 pounds in a loaded 2500 laramie. A work truck 2500 will get you up to 4000. So. Depends on how you option those trucks up, same story with a 1500.

I haven't watched the video, but Mega Cab adds weight and now sure what other options it had

I have less options on the Limited I ordered and this Longhorn has a payload of 2735#

NDanecker

Reaction score
I did a conversion from a SRW to a DRW on a 2500 Ram a number of years ago. Although it increased my carrying capacity it never increased my legal capacity. In fact I lowered my legal capacity as the extra weight of the wheels, spacer hubs, and fender flares added weight while not increasing the door jam sticker weight rating. Resale took a huge hit. Towed awesome though. I spent hours on the phone with 3rd party up-fitters and the state of NJ DMV, and no one would change the door jam sticker. Everyone said only the MFG could change that, and they are NOT going to do that.

I just towed with my 1500 yesterday and have owned numerous Rams in the past most being DRW diesels. I strongly suggest if you want to tow any kind of fifth wheel don't do it with the 1500. You will be under weight rating, under powered and unsafe. So for the safety of you, your family and others on the road - get a bigger truck. I have never quoted those words on any forum before so I am not the typical weight police. If you find yourself trying to increase the capacity - do the right thing and just get a bigger truck. You'll thank me and others if you take that route as the HD trucks (especially the DRW diesels) are tow monsters!!! Totally different trucks.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me get this out of the way: I agree moving to a bigger truck is the right way to increase payload.

With that said, I'm still curious about the design philosophy and what sort of margin is built into payload ratings. The authoritative answer, of course, can only come from someone within the OEM development teams and unfortunately I don't know anyone like that. I do, however, work in an industrial engineering firm and have access to engineers of many disciplines, including mechanical. One mechanical engineer in particular I know is an automotive enthusiast. The type of guy with a dedicated workshop in his backyard with a lift and welding equipment and everything else a serious hobbyist uses to tinker with vehicles. Not just any engineer either; a Principal Engineer with decades of experience and someone not prone to speak out of his ****.

I posed the payload question to him and he responded immediately, as if he has also mulled this question at some point in the past and drawn his own conclusions. I know what I expected to hear and he gave it to me; a response that seems common sense and echo'd comments from many here throughout the forum discussions where this has popped up.

To paraphrase, yes margin exists. Payload rating is determined for worst case operation: extended travel on bumpy roads, high-load high-heat situations, vehicles at max lateral incline, etc. In other words, if using the truck on smooth roads, for example, and situations that don't stress other systems in the truck, exceeding the payload rating isn't necessarily a doomed prospect. The frame won't snap and the truck won't break in half... but vehicle dynamics could be compromised if you needed to perform an emergency maneuver. Braking was his biggest concern. Using his diesel Ford Excursion as an example, stopping power was clearly not designed to go beyond the ratings on that vehicle. I pinged him about metal fatigue and stress and he said the springs will typically be the fuse. That is, he'd expect the springs to snap before the frame bends or the tires pop or anything like that.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Insurance boys wont pay if you're found to be over weight during the accident investigation.
Not correct. I was an adjuster for 9 years, for a major company, we pd out for some very stupid decisions by people. Now you may well get dropped afterwards but unless you use the vehicle as a weapon, its pretty much covered.

Theres no way that an insurance company can take the time to verify that you were not overloaded etc. Why not deny you for driving too fast for conditions? Having excessively worn tires? Windshield obscured? Lights inop? Theres a thousand stupid reasons for an accident, they can’t deny the liability to the other party. Even if you admit to driving too fast on bald tires with ice covering your windshield at night without lights, they pay...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

Options really add up.
Exactly. People seem to confuse payload with max towing ability, or GCVWR. The pin weight on a 5th wheel, much less the weight of the occupants and their gear, will quickly overwhelm a typical “half ton” rated truck, yet the truck’s engine can certainly pull it. But the other components like brakes, cooling system, tranny, rear axle, and springs aren’t designed for the strain on a regular basis.

If you want to get really big into the “tow vehicle wars” on various forums, look at the RV travel 5th wheel forums... You’d just about have to be using a 4500 to pull a lawnmower trailer to please some of them. Then there’s the ones who post and picture up their std CC half ton with a 34 footer... You get all kinds.

What it often boils down to is the occasional trailer puller, say a few times a year not in the mountains, can get away with it. However excessive frontal area of the trailer, improperly adjusted brakes, use of air bags thinking that you now have an extra 5K payload just because it rides level... thats another thing entirely.

Snakes709

Reaction score
I’m rather disappointed with my payload limit on my sport. My 2016 was 1610lbs with the air suspension. The wife and I are planning a trip from Edmonton, AB to Florida and then to TN/NC with our motorbikes. Between our weight, luggage, ramps and both bikes, that put us at or a little under 1610.

Looked at the new 19’s and ram was claiming 2300LB and figured since i got the class 4 reciever and trailer brake assist (which i know is for towing), figured it would be set up for 2300 payload. Come to find out my truck is rated to 1540Lbs. So now im worse off then my 16’. I opted out of alot of options which helps reduce the weight of my truck. Really dont want to haul a trailer for this trip but might be forced to.

Users who are viewing this thread