5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there anyway to increase payload capacity on a 1500?

Rjhagner

Reaction score
I’m wondering if there is anyway to increase the payload capacity of my Longhorn/5.7/4WD/3.92?
I’m shopping for a 5th wheel and the 1,350 hitch weight is on the very edge of acceptability for me.
I’d be happy with a 25% increase.....
I was thinking maybe there might be heavier duty springs that could be installed.

Thanks for any help!

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is nothing you can do to legally increase your truck’s payload capacity. The manufacturer sets the total weight rating (GVWR) which is 7100 pounds in your case.
The vehicle and all contents/passengers/cargo/tongue weight cannot legally exceed that weight.

In my opinion 1350 pin weight is 2500 truck territory.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
It's not just the suspension, it's the entire drive train. If you want to tow something serious (like a 5th wheel) you should be looking at 2500HD's. Otherwise, the 1500 is perfect for the little campers, small boats, lawn trailers, etc.

In jest, go on a diet.. that'll give you more cap :) don't forget that you have to count occupants against it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Mdegen93

Airlift makes air assist springs that go inside the rear coils. I have them for towing

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Airlift makes air assist springs that go inside the rear coils. I have them for towing

Ok yes they do but there needs to be clarification here on bags.

They do NOT supplement INCREASED Payload

The DO assist in STABILIZATION and LOAD LEVELING

Sure bags can hold 3,500-5,000 lbs each but YOUR (genera terms) truck CANNOT safely AND reliably support the weight and physics dynamics associated with substantial weight.

I’m a big fan of air bags, just not their misuse.

M

Mdegen93

Ok yes they do but there needs to be clarification here on bags.

They do NOT supplement INCREASED Payload

The DO assist in STABILIZATION and LOAD LEVELING

Sure bags can hold 3,500-5,000 lbs each but YOUR (genera terms) truck CANNOT safely AND reliably support the weight and physics dynamics associated with substantial weight.

I’m a big fan of air bags, just not their misuse.

Legally you have to stay within the trucks rated weight for braking. These springs will reduce squat and they keep the truck stable. If you want to tow heavy buy a 3/4 ton

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At my last campsite two weeks ago I did see 2 lightly-optioned F150 quad cabs towing smaller half-ton-towable fifth wheels. They likely had the max payload/max-tow packages to be able to support the pin weight. Even so, I saw one of them as they pulled in and it had some squat and the front end of the truck was sitting pretty high.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
W
I’m wondering if there is anyway to increase the payload capacity of my Longhorn/5.7/4WD/3.92?
I’m shopping for a 5th wheel and the 1,350 hitch weight is on the very edge of acceptability for me.
I was thinking maybe there might be heavier duty springs that could be installed.

Thanks for any help!
Post a picture of the yellow tire/loading sticker inside your drivers door.

M

Mdegen93

Thanks for any help!

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I certainly love my Limited, due to the payload (1310#) it is getting traded in for a 2500...
While it could certainly tow the weight, we would be significantly over on payload and we are not comfortable doing that...

Rjhagner

Reaction score
W

Post a picture of the yellow tire/loading sticker inside your drivers door.
I didn’t know this was the way to know definitively what the payload capacity is until I read the very informative post pinned to the towing section.

Based on what I’ve learned, and the feedback, I’ve decided to get a 30’ travel trailer and ditch the 5th wheel idea. I definitely don’t want to jeopardize performance and safety!

Thanks to all for the info!

Creep0321

Reaction score
View attachment 22950
I didn’t know this was the way to know definitively what the payload capacity is until I read the very informative post pinned to the towing section.

Based on what I’ve learned, and the feedback, I’ve decided to get a 30’ travel trailer and ditch the 5th wheel idea. I definitely don’t want to jeopardize performance and safety!

Thanks to all for the info!
Even with that remember to factor in weight of you (+passengers) and gear in the truck. Maybe a trip to the scales before purchasing a TT would be best? That’s my plan anyway.

KLSU

Reaction score
SuperSprings makes products that will increase payload. I have their springs on my current F-150 and they made a world a difference in towing and payload.

ChrisW74

Reaction score
SuperSprings makes products that will increase payload. I have their springs on my current F-150 and they made a world a difference in towing and payload.

Not trying to argue or pick a fight but you cannot legally in any fashion increase the payload. The springs may help with squat and stability but they do not actually raise the payload or towing limits of any vehicle.

ChrisW74

Reaction score
Not trying to argue or pick a fight but you cannot legally in any fashion increase the payload. The springs may help with squat and stability but they do not actually raise the payload or towing limits of any vehicle.

The below is from the SuperSprings Website:

Do SuperSprings increase my vehicle's GVWR?
No; absolutely not. Nothing can increase your GVWR. If a company claims they can, they are deceiving you. The GVWR of your vehicle is set by the manufacturer and it cannot change. You should never exceed your vehicle’s GVWR. SuperSprings and all other helper springs are intended to help level loads, not increase GVWR. Learn more about GVWR, Payload, and Capacity in the Learn More section of our site.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to stay away from these conversations.

Let's start with this. Yes, a truck will haul and tow more than the numbers allow.

But, Payload is a very specific number. We won't argue what is right or legal but it is specific.

Payload is GVWR-base weight.

When you add these helpers/aids you are actually decreasing payload.

Now, I don't know what is right or wrong, each person has to make that decision.

But if you are towing or hauling regular and this is what you have to do to succeed...for me personally, that worries me(my opinion).

If you are trying to make your few weekend camping trips or haul to the dump in the spring and fall happen, well maybe I can see adding these helpers so you can keep your 1500 for the other 360 days a year you don't tow.

Bottom line...your highest Payload will be the day only you are in the truck and nothing else. As soon as you add your soda/coffee/ water...that payload goes down.

These lift bags and bumpstop risers must be perfectly fine, they sell alot of them...but me personally...I do not get it.

On the same token, plenty here are hauling/towing over max and having a good day with it. So, once again...this payload/towing discusion really comes down to this one bit of advice.

Tow what you feel comfortable, but be comfortable towing.

To be honest, I am just glad to see people using trucks, as trucks.

Charger68

Reaction score
Insurance boys wont pay if you're found to be over weight during the accident investigation.

maddog49

Reaction score
Insurance boys wont pay if you're found to be over weight during the accident investigation.
Not saying to be overweight but this is not always true. Same as speeding, driving impaired etc. Its not as clear cur as being overweight and then not being covered.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could see myself swapping the Ram for a 3/4 ton truck next. Right now the F250 with the new 7.0/7.3 gasser certainly will get a look from me. Hopefully Ram will bring out a big torque gasser once the Ford comes out.

An attorney would have a field day suing someone in a wreck that was found overloaded/overweight.

Users who are viewing this thread