5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any evidence that later build dates are more problem-free than earlier build dates?

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Other then anecdotal stories from this and other forums? I mean, statistically you would think the earlier builds on a new generation would have more issues...that's usually been the prevailing thinking. But I'm curious whether or not there is any empirical evidence to support that. Or do we have to wait for Consumer Reports (lol, I know) or others to come out with the rankings next year comparing the two model years?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Other then anecdotal stories from this and other forums? I mean, statistically you would think the earlier builds on a new generation would have more issues...that's usually been the prevailing thinking. But I'm curious whether or not there is any empirical evidence to support that. Or do we have to wait for Consumer Reports (lol, I know) or others to come out with the rankings next year comparing the two model years?
I doubt it, but only because production has been ramping up on the new trucks. The early builds might have issues due to early production “learning”, whereas later builds may have issues due to pressure to deliver faster. (That said, this is only my hypothesis, and I may very well be completely incorrect!)

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Any of the recalls (airbag) will have been applied to the new ones already which is good. Not sure if the TSBs automatically are applied on the new builds but I would assume so.

Dynamite

Reaction score
I doubt it. My truck is a March 2018 build, and I‘ve had some minor issues like brake squeal and a few recalls, but none of the more egregious problems like water leaks, clunks, or rear bezel cracks, so there goes that theory :cool:

Same here... BD July 2018.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Build date 5/7/18. No manufacturing issues at all. Except for the wiper motor that craped out during a monsoon. very pleased overall with my ride!

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone else already said it but the only real difference is going to be recall stuff that is done on the line rather than at the dealer. Production line retools and part reengineering is a long process; almost never will you see improvements on a current run, which is what this Ram will be for probably another 3-4 years at least before there's a significant redesign. If parts can be swapped on to solve issues, that will be done, but beyond that it's cheaper to fix problems under warranty than to scrap part lines or create major disruptions to production.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My build date is 12/19 so it’s still too early to tell. Has 600 miles on it. Hoping I don’t get the water leaks or the cracked rear slider.

If the 3rd brake light ends up leaking, I won’t be surprised. My 2012 and my 2014 both had leaking 3rd brake lights.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Aug-18 build on 2019 Rebel. Bought new in June-19. They applied all updates and no issues whatsoever (hard knock on wood)

Edit: other than so so AC performance in 90 degree temps which they almost all have. It was a 2 minute fix with the valve DIY so I consider it a non issue as RAM is not going to do anything about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

airgas1998

Reaction score
06/19 build.....definitely have the brake squeal issues front and rear.other than that nothing major...

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dec 2018 build date on mine and I haven’t had any issues at all , I didn’t buy it till nov 2019 so all the recalls were performed before I took delivery though .

heydre

Reaction score
Seem to remember issues with other makes/models resulting from differences in plant QC/leadership as well as parts/batch sourcing being tracked to certain runs....complicated sh*t to sum up neatly.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My July 2018 truck has had 2 warranty claims. 1. warped chrome door trim 2. passenger mirror wouldn't fold.

I have to say my early build has been trouble-free.

Calsun

Reaction score
When there are service bulletins from the manufacturer the vehicles manufactured before that date will need the fix applied but new vehicles coming off the line will most likely already have it taken care of and no work is needed. This is most likely to happen with a model redesign as with the new for 2019 pickups. I would expect the number of service bulletins to decline for later model years.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I know, this is not an issue on the 5th gens.

Cheers,
My 5th gen has had the CHMSL leak and was repaired by the dealer. July 2018 build.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031001 miles.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure, my truck's build date was 1/2019. Haven't had a single issue mechanically or cosmetically over half year of ownership.

Honestly, could be the most flawless vehicle I have had in the initial first half year of ownership, which includes GM, Ford, BMW, VW and Hondas I've owned.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are always growing pains with a redesign. Nothing unique about this one. You'll have recalls the first year, which either won't apply or will have been taken care of in the second model year. Some of the more significant TSB's may be addressed, but I suspect you'll still have those issues 3 or 4 years into it. I seriously doubt there's any real data on this for 5th gen Ram trucks though, at least nothing that the general public would have access to.

Users who are viewing this thread