5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a reason for me to get 4x4 instead of 4x2?

SBrentnall

Reaction score
What have you been using to pull the horse trailer and horses with now? Dirt turns to mud when it rains. Wet grass can be just as nasty as snow and ice. In the times when you have to get out fast, I would rather have the option of an extra drive axel, even if it wasn't needed. I drive in 2x everywhere I go, if I start spinning, then kick in the front axel and I'm on my way. A 4 x 4 will be a better asset when you sell/trade, when that time comes. I just don't see a downside here. I have a Laramie 4 x 4 with a 3.92. I much prefer the way it drives compared to a 3.21. If you pick up a heavier trailer and the horses, you may want to consider a WDH to keep the sway under control better.
I’m using my Acura MDX AWD. And most of the time, there’s no grass in Los Angeles. Just dry packed dirt 😀

it certainly sound like 4x4 is the way to go if I intend to resell the truck. And definitely 3.92 - i just can’t tow enough with 3.21.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The limited is one of the few trucks that really has no height difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 model.
If you want 4x4 in a Limited, don't get a 4x2 because you think it's lower. It's not.

Will_T

Reaction score
Wet grass can be just as nasty as snow and ice.
I have had the 4X4 Ford I am replacing with the Ram for 20 years. I bet 80+% of my 4X4 use has been on wet grassy fields pulling a light utility trailer. It is the worst! The rest evenly split between snow/ice and loose gravel roads. So if it was me and I thought I would ever be on grass with even a light horse trailer, I would get 4X4.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As others have said, resale is probably the top reason then there's the ever present "I wonder if I can make it through this..." reason.
A distant 3rd is the cool sticker on the side or emblem on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
"Otherwise, a 5.7L Hemi 1500 with all the stuff you get in a Limited, expect 15-17 mpg avg; 4x4 or not; which blows but ya know."

Ha, I get out and push (great for cardio) and I'm averaging 20-21. (Downhill, stiff tailwinf, drafting 18 wheelers.)
1616528028803.png

Quint

Reaction score
I was up north this weekend. Most of the snow had melted off the ground so I drove down a neighbor's hill. BIG mistake as my truck slid in the mud down the hill. Several attempts at 4x4-Low finally got me up the hill. I parked at the top of the hill and then got stuck there moments after snapping this photo. It again took 4x4 and this time mashing on the gas to get out of there. Normally I need it for snow but the mud grabs us sometimes too!

I trampled down the tire ruts so it didn't look that bad when my neighbor got back.

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 31

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Really recommend the Anti-Slip or Electronic Locking Rear Axle [Now only available as a part of the Off-Road Group and no longer as a standalone option] also.

Thanks for that update, they snuck that one by me. Sucks that it is no longer a standalone option.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I was up north this weekend. Most of the snow had melted off the ground so I drove down a neighbor's hill. BIG mistake as my truck slid in the mud down the hill. Several attempts at 4x4-Low finally got me up the hill. I parked at the top of the hill and then got stuck there moments after snapping this photo. It again took 4x4 and this time mashing on the gas to get out of there. Normally I need it for snow but the mud grabs us sometimes too!

I trampled down the tire ruts so it didn't look that bad when my neighbor got back.
Neighbor: "Hey did you see my $2,000 of new sod that I just got laid down yesterday, it really dresses the hill up now."
You "Uh no, didn't notice anything. Nothing to see there, let's just move along."

BowDown

Reaction score
I don't buy into the 4x4 is better for resale, you pay more for the option at the beginning so its logical to get more for the 4x4 truck vs a 4x2 when you go to sell it. If then resell reason is that it makes the truck easier to sell, I think that's regional and subjective, I sold my 4x2 truck with no issues and had plenty of offers.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I don't buy into the 4x4 is better for resale, you pay more for the option at the beginning so its logical to get more for the 4x4 truck vs a 4x2 when you go to sell it. If then resell reason is that it makes the truck easier to sell, I think that's regional and subjective, I sold my 4x2 truck with no issues and had plenty of offers.
It's pretty much based on usage and the region as you stated.
I had a pickup that was a 4x2 "languish" for sale a few years ago (like 35) as the buyers (in Colorado) all wanted 4x. Even though in that part of southern Colorado where 4x wasn't necessary, buyers expected a "bargain" if the truck was 4x2 unless it was a beater. I learned my lesson and from then on bought 4x even when I never used it once on the next 2 trucks.
You also make a good point on the increased cost. 4x is marked up $3-4K on most pickups and that is also why their resale is higher. Pay more up front and hope to get more later.

For some though it's the difference between selling or not.

Storytime - In 1982 I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee (the last of the big full sized Jeep wagons with the V8). I only wanted a 4 speed. Out of every 100 you might find 1 that way. I paid dear for it (over MSRP) when I bought it and almost nobody wanted it 3 years later, in fact it was a $1,000 deduction on value. Ouch.
1616536169721.png Gone but not forgotten, sniff sniff.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the "old" days KBB/NADA had you add money to the price if it had an automatic transmission...now you deduct if it doesn't.

Plenty of 4x2 trucks around here. More money for them to make it look like a lifted 4x4. ;)

I bought 4wd because I use it (off-roading). If I didn't plan to use it I wouldn't get it.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I talked to the dealer where I bought my, a couple of days ago. They said the can changed out anything on the Ram like that. So, I will go elsewhere for a quote.
Most dealers wouldn't touch that kind of work. They're more about maintenance and repairs; whats in the manuals/on their computers.
A good 4x4 shop may be able to tackle that job and provide a quote for you, but if they do, be prepared for voiding the warranty on that axle (and possibly other related components).

Users who are viewing this thread